Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-31-2020, 10:57 PM   #226
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourtv View Post
How can I flash factory firmware to previous version?
Serial port only.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 01:51 PM   #227
elbarto0
Member Retired
elbarto0 began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite 2 2013
my pw2 has updatet to 5.12.2 but i had installed month bevore or years bevore the jb fix so why it updatet trouth the fix.

alsow i jailbreaked the pw2 but now i see nothing if it is jailbreaked or not
elbarto0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2020, 03:50 PM   #228
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Double posting is highly frowned upon. Don't do it.

----

If the hotfix installed fine, you're good to go. It's as simple as that.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 03:08 PM   #229
gibilan
gibilan began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Hello. I just decided to serial JB my PW3. I have all the necessary tools and I think I am prepared. My only doubt is about the fw I should choose. Currently the Kindle runs 5.9.7. Should I update it or I'm better off with this fw? TIA!
gibilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 03:16 PM   #230
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibilan View Post
Hello. I just decided to serial JB my PW3. I have all the necessary tools and I think I am prepared. My only doubt is about the fw I should choose. Currently the Kindle runs 5.9.7. Should I update it or I'm better off with this fw? TIA!
Some like 5.9.6.1 because if something other than an update goes wrong later, it can be rejailbroken with software.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2020, 03:54 PM   #231
gibilan

Now, I'm confused. I thought about letting the pw3 official update to 5.12.x.
I'm following Serial Jailbreaking your fw >= 5.6.x Kindle for Dummies guide.
As I understand, I wil get a jailbroken 5.9.7 with this. How can I downgrade to 5.9.6.1?
Old 04-21-2020, 04:32 PM   #232
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As I understand, I wil get a jailbroken 5.9.7 with this. How can I downgrade to 5.9.6.1?
I've never done a serial jailbreak, but it's my understanding that you can install any firmware version compatible with your device.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:47 AM   #233
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Change the download url to include the 5.9.6.1 update from Amazon.
The oldest PW3 full update is/was 5.6.1.1 (that model has been around the block once or twice).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:23 PM   #234
gibilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Change the download url to include the 5.9.6.1 update from Amazon.
The oldest PW3 full update is/was 5.6.1.1 (that model has been around the block once or twice).
I'm sorry I don't get this. I've already downloaded to my laptop fw 5.9.6.1(741MB). When and how I install this fw? After I run jb.sh for 5.9.7?

Sorry about this but the amount of info on this forum is overwhelming.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:32 PM   #235
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm sorry I don't get this. I've already downloaded to my laptop fw 5.9.6.1(741MB). When and how I install this fw? After I run jb.sh for 5.9.7?

Sorry about this but the amount of info on this forum is overwhelming.
I missed part of your original question.

If you are happy with 5.9.7, you can certainly just stay with that.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:37 PM   #236
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Flashing a firmware manually on downgrade-challenged devices is doable, but probably not for the faint of heart.

It involves being able to boot to a diags shell, and doing it all the hard way (i.e., by hand).
I keep forgetting whether the PW3 still had a dedicated diags partition or not.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:16 PM   #237
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

IRC, the PW3 (which lasted about two years) still has (or had) a diags partition.

Sorry but that is all the detail my mind can recall.
Also, I can't recall where I put my old Kindles (I am 99.44% retired, the other 0.56% is brain dead).
I am sure one of our regulars here can whip up a better answer than mine.
Old 04-24-2020, 04:06 AM   #238
atonement
Zealot
atonement began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
I think its unlikely that a software jailbreak will ever arrive for my PW3. And since Serial JB is not a viable option is it worthwhile to update to latest FW? I mean are there any truly useful improvements? Thanks.
atonement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:34 AM   #239
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by atonement View Post
I think its unlikely that a software jailbreak will ever arrive for my PW3. And since Serial JB is not a viable option is it worthwhile to update to latest FW? I mean are there any truly useful improvements? Thanks.
What makes you think that a PW3 can not be used for a serial JB?
Did you perhaps skip some of the reply's to your question?
Old 04-26-2020, 12:33 AM   #240
atonement
Zealot
atonement began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What makes you think that a PW3 can not be used for a serial JB?
Did you perhaps skip some of the reply's to your question?
I meant it wasn't a viable option for me as I would need to import the Serial converter board and shipping charges are rather high. Plus the need for soldering and other stuff. It could easily amount to half what I paid for my refurbished PW3. All I need is ePUB support but I guess conversion in Calibre would have to do.
I wanted to know if the FW updates had brought Dark theme to the PW3 or not.
atonement is offline   Reply With Quote