Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-04-2020, 09:04 AM   #16
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I had a 2nd gen Kindle, and a DXG. Both ran the same firmware. In the winter of 2009, my mother in-law had a lengthy hospital stay due back surgery and complications. This was before any of the family had smart phones. The hospital had undependable WiFi, and it was impractical to tote laptops back and forth.

I was able to use the K2 to connect to Facebook and keep out of state family members up to date on MILs condition. I was also able to look up medical terms and medications. It was very slow, and freeze prone, and not something I would have wanted to do on a regular basis.

Over the next few years the browser on that device worked less and less, as web sites were updated, became more complex, and security issues were updated and changed. Video etc. never worked.

Current models with the 3G option can only use 3G for the Amazon store, Wiki, the translation features, and those WiFi connections that require a browser sign in, such as many hotels etc. provide.

The K2 didn't have WiFi connectivity, they only used 3G. I traded in my old K2 a year ago, so no longer have it to check, but I did dink with it before trading it in. The browser worked as it always had, very slow, and most sites wouldn't load anymore without freezing.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:57 PM   #17
AKOTb
AKOTb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Wait...you want to watch video news/weather casts on your Kindle DX? I'm not sure that was ever possible.

Shari
I want to see only text in web page. I enter the address in the address bar. I click "go". After some time of loading 3-5 seconds, the screen blinks, the address entry line is cleared and nothing happens.
AKOTb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:21 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOTb View Post
I want to see only text in web page. I enter the address in the address bar. I click "go". After some time of loading 3-5 seconds, the screen blinks, the address entry line is cleared and nothing happens.
The DX is very lousy for web browsing. Forget about it and get a tablet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:36 AM   #19
AKOTb

you do not understand. I'm not trying to replace a tablet with a book. I just want to use the internet function on this tablet. I'm interested. Is it really not interesting for anyone to use this function at least once in our time?
Old 06-05-2020, 08:19 AM   #20
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I'm not sure how many different ways it can be explained to you. The experimental browser on ANY e-ink Kindle has not been improved since 2009. It's not capable of much, due to the limitations of the technology of the screen.

Also, Amazon no long underwrites "at large" browsing on those browsers. Why should they pay for your access? Even on the models that offer both 3G and WiFi connections, the cellular connection is limited.

Even using WiFi, the usability of the browser is not great. The e-ink screens can't cope with complex pages. It is very slow, and not something you're going to be happy with. It's just plain not going to work as you want it to.

Do you understand what is being said? It seems you're not even reading what we are saying.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:48 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
you do not understand. I'm not trying to replace a tablet with a book. I just want to use the internet function on this tablet. I'm interested. Is it really not interesting for anyone to use this function at least once in our time?
It's not a tablet. It's an obsolete eInk Reader that does not handle the Internet well at all. Web browsing does not work well. The software is old and the web browser does not support all the current protocols needed. So a lot of we sites will not work. So my suggestion is to...

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:33 AM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
It's a device for reading ebooks, not a tablet. It never worked well for the Internet, and even when it wasn't obsolete, only Amazon store and Wikipedia was 100% free on 3G. The rest had a small download limit.

Get a 10" tablet for the Internet. My 10" Lenovo was reduced from €175 to €110. My previous Kobo eink ereader was €220 and my latest one was €180. The next size up (8") would have been about €100 more.

My nearly new Kobo, far better than my DXG, is pretty rubbish for the Internet. I keep the tablet nearby, it can wake, enable WiFi and find the thing I'm looking for with Firefox while any eink ereader (or my older phone) is still trying to load the webpage.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:14 PM   #23
AKOTb

I read all the posts. And I understand that the browser has not been updated for a long time.
Thanks for answers.

Also in my first post I was interested in what is MKK? Does anyone use this feature?
Old 06-06-2020, 01:46 AM   #24
AKOTb

i read about it here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=203326
Old 06-07-2020, 08:57 AM   #25
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I had a 2nd gen Kindle, and a DXG. Both ran the same firmware. In the winter of 2009, my mother in-law had a lengthy hospital stay due back surgery and complications. This was before any of the family had smart phones. The hospital had undependable WiFi, and it was impractical to tote laptops back and forth.

I was able to use the K2 to connect to Facebook and keep out of state family members up to date on MILs condition. I was also able to look up medical terms and medications. It was very slow, and freeze prone, and not something I would have wanted to do on a regular basis.
I learned about my niece's birth in early 2011 while in a hotel in Kirkenes in far northern Norway, courtesy of a hotel wifi connection and a Kindle 4's web browser. It was up to reading the gmail of the time (only just, very slowly) but not get as far as sending anything.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote