Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-01-2015, 01:04 AM   #1
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Initialising without upgrading firmware?

My Touch 905B keeps hanging under F/W 3.16. I've tried a complete factory reset and re-installation, but it keeps happening.

I'm pretty sure it's not due to broken epub(s) -- it seems to happen with any book I open, and even on the Home screen after a fresh reboot. Could be hardware-related, of course, so I'd like to wind back to a previous f/w that I know worked, and see if it keeps happening.

So: if I do another factory reset, is there a way to initialise the device (either with or without the Kobo desktop) without upgrading the firmware?

Or if I'm just going to sideload epubs, at least for testing, is there a way to get the device operational without locking it into my Kobo account?
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:39 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If you use the desktop application to do the setup, when you get to the eject step, don't. Open the drive for the device and go to the ".kobo" directory. Then remove the files "KoboRoot.tgz" and "manifest.md5sum" and the directory "upgrade". When you disconnect, it will stay on whatever the factory reset firmware for the N905B Touch.

To skip the registration, you need to insert a row in the user table in the database. How to do this has been posted a lot of times. A search should find it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2015, 03:58 AM   #3
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for that, David. It didn't occur to me to ask: could I also let it update, and then sideload a previous version of the f/w over the top? Or is it always best to go up, and not back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
To skip the registration, you need to insert a row in the user table in the database. How to do this has been posted a lot of times. A search should find it.
It didn't, though. ;-) Maybe I chose the wrong search terms, but I did look (without success) before posting my question. Any hints?

(Or is the process deemed a no-no by Kobo, and maybe the posts have been weeded out?)
Old 08-01-2015, 04:07 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Thanks for that, David. It didn't occur to me to ask: could I also let it update, and then sideload a previous version of the f/w over the top? Or is it always best to go up, and not back?

It didn't, though. ;-) Maybe I chose the wrong search terms, but I did look (without success) before posting my question. Any hints?

(Or is the process deemed a no-no by Kobo, and maybe the posts have been weeded out?)
It's in the list of tweaks/hacks/mods, which is a Sticky Post, under Registration Bypassing

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217160
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:44 AM   #5
MacEachaidh
Browser

Thanks so much for that, meeera. :-)
Advert
Old 08-01-2015, 06:13 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
As a rule, I recommend against it. But, you can usually go back a version or two safely.
Quote:

Happily meeera pointed you to it. as I can never find posts here when I look. And to the best of my knowledge, Kobo doesn't interfere here.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:00 PM   #7
MacEachaidh
Browser

Quote:
Happily meeera pointed you to it. as I can never find posts here when I look. And to the best of my knowledge, Kobo doesn't interfere here.
Understood. Thanks for your replies though, David. :-)
Old 08-08-2015, 01:37 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Happily meeera pointed you to it. as I can never find posts here when I look.
It's a good idea to check the sticky posts, for FAQs. That's all I did.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:38 PM   #9
MacEachaidh
Browser

I did look in the stickies first and didn't see it. Mea culpa.

Okay, a follow-up question, please: sans Calibre, and without using the Desktop, is there any way to manually back up my Collections and restore them after a full factory reset?
Old 08-12-2015, 09:06 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
I did look in the stickies first and didn't see it. Mea culpa.

Okay, a follow-up question, please: sans Calibre, and without using the Desktop, is there any way to manually back up my Collections and restore them after a full factory reset?
Well you could export data from two of the database tables and then reimport that data.

I'm not by my PC so can't look up which tables they are. One contains the names of all collections, and the other one contains book / collection pairs.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:06 AM   #11
MacEachaidh
Browser

Thanks as always, Peter.

I'm just being a bit chicken about editing SQLite, I think, since I have no experience with it and don't really know what I'm looking for. I guess if worse comes to worst, then I can simply do a hard reset on my device and re-install. The Desktop seems to have finally updated my account with my custom-defined Collections, and stopped serving me back the old deleted ones.