Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 10-01-2020, 01:14 PM   #1
mzel
Connoisseur
mzel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Battery usage question

Is it possible that reading different content in KOReader results in different battery usage?
I am seeing drastic differences when it is a simple text and manual book with lots of photographs and cross-links which I do follow to. It is like 1 week vs 1 day on 1 charge of the battery.
I am on Kobo Forma if that matters
mzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 02:25 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Err, yeah, of course?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2020, 06:15 PM   #3
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
That still sounds a bit too much.

Not sure what is going on, but probably it is more of a thing that in complex book you also go a lot back and forth, so processor works a lot.

In my experience, my H2O (first gen) lasted about 14-20 days, and now KA1 lasts about 7-10 days (half that time as it has half that battery). And both have different "battery usage display", i.e. battery indication was pretty different on both devices (H2O tended to be longer in high percentage with much faster drop with lower ones, and KA1 is a bit opposite).
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:47 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
e-ink displays use power whenever you turn the page. I remember marathon reading manga and I think I got just 1 day with around 16 hours or so onscreen time with likely ~2-3,000 page turns (full refresh every single page).

Last edited by ilovejedd; 10-01-2020 at 07:51 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:29 AM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, I was definitely talking about the computational difference involved in handling the different types of content, the eInk stuff is barely relevant as far as power consumption goes.
Advert
Old 10-02-2020, 10:18 AM   #6
mzel
Connoisseur

Well, I understand there is a difference, but I am surprised it can be on the scale of 1 to 10
Old 10-02-2020, 10:29 AM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

You're basically describing the difference between a laptop sitting in screensaver mode and a laptop running a game.

(I'm barely exaggerating here ^^).
Old 10-03-2020, 05:15 PM   #8
mzel
Connoisseur

Ok, in that case it would make sense.
Thanks a lot!
Old 10-06-2020, 11:50 AM   #9
mzel
Connoisseur

Would it make a difference if the .epub is zipped or not?
Old 10-06-2020, 11:54 AM   #10
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzel View Post
I should think so. Open a ZIP -> CPU added time -> Battery use

Kind regards,
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:55 AM   #11
mzel
Connoisseur

Right, but does it not create an unzipped temporary copy on the 1st use?
Old 10-06-2020, 07:06 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

An ePub *is* already a ZIP archive in disguise, so, that doesn't make much sense?
Old 10-06-2020, 08:08 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzel View Post
EPUB IS already a zipped archive, just has a few special rules.
Si Zipping a Zip gains mostly extra work.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:37 PM   #14
mzel
Connoisseur

Ok, I guess we are getting closer. I was mistaken about having that book as a .zip in Kobo. But does that mean that if we have the text part of the book in the cache as .cr3, we still go unzipping to pull every picture?