Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-16-2019, 09:20 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Simple (non-JB) way to stop OTA updates?

I now own a Paperwhite 3 that is using firmware 5.9.7. I was going to update it, but then I tried my Send to Kindle documents and they worked flawlessly, even with my custom fonts. Unfortunately the 5.12.2 software doesn't work well with Send to Kindle documents (at least not when I'm using custom fonts). So I would like to keep this Paperwhite at 5.9.7, if possible. Is there an easy way to do that while still being able to sync the Paperwhite to Amazon's servers? I see that you used to be able to create a folder named "update.bin.tmp.partial" but it looks like that method stopped working as of 5.8.x.

Thanks for any pointers.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:29 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I see that you used to be able to create a folder named "update.bin.tmp.partial" but it looks like that method stopped working as of 5.8.x.

Thanks for any pointers.
Afaik, the folder method works all the way up to 5.10.x.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2019, 09:31 PM   #3
Sol Arkite
Zealot
Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: KV; PW3 ; PW2 ; k5; KT2
Quote:
I now own a Paperwhite 3 that is using firmware 5.9.7. I was going to update it, but then I tried my Send to Kindle documents and they worked flawlessly, even with my custom fonts. Unfortunately the 5.12.2 software doesn't work well with Send to Kindle documents (at least not when I'm using custom fonts). So I would like to keep this Paperwhite at 5.9.7, if possible. Is there an easy way to do that while still being able to sync the Paperwhite to Amazon's servers? I see that you used to be able to create a folder named "update.bin.tmp.partial" but it looks like that method stopped working as of 5.8.x.

Thanks for any pointers.
I believe the folder method worked until 5.10.x
My PW3 is at 5.10.3 and still no update. I made the mistake of updating my voyage to 5.11.x . I believe that is when the firmware was able to silently update to the new 5.12.x. I wish i had stayed at 5.10.x
Sol Arkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:37 PM   #4
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Arkite View Post
My PW3 is at 5.10.3 and still no update. I made the mistake of updating my voyage to 5.11.x . I believe that is when the firmware was able to silently update to the new 5.12.x. I wish i had stayed at 5.10.x
Curious as to why want to stay on older version?
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:58 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Afaik, the folder method works all the way up to 5.10.x.
Quote:
Sounds great. I'll do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
Curious as to why want to stay on older version?
Because I've got documents about SQLite and ASCIIDoc that I downloaded from websites with Send to Kindle and they keep locking up the newer (5.12.2) versions of Kindle's firmware (on my Voyage, Paperwhite 2 and Basic, 8th Generation). They're working fine on 5.9.7.
Advert
Old 10-16-2019, 10:15 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

So, just to be sure I understand... all I have to do is create a new directory in the Kindle's root directory named "update.bin.tmp.partial" (without the quotes)?
Old 10-17-2019, 04:25 AM   #7
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
So, just to be sure I understand... all I have to do is create a new directory in the Kindle's root directory named "update.bin.tmp.partial" (without the quotes)?
Yes. Except put it in the highest hierarchy on the usb visible storage. Without JB you cannot get to the Kindle's root directory.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:19 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Yes. Except put it in the highest hierarchy on the usb visible storage. Without JB you cannot get to the Kindle's root directory.
I'm sorry for confusing the issue. That's what I meant, the Kindle's "home" directory or whatever it's officially called.

Thanks! everyone.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:04 AM   #9
Sol Arkite
Zealot
Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: KV; PW3 ; PW2 ; k5; KT2
Quote:
I'm sorry for confusing the issue. That's what I meant, the Kindle's "home" directory or whatever it's officially called.

Thanks! everyone.
I still would recommend jailbreaking before updating. There is a “prevent updating “ hack that is supposed to be improved.
Sol Arkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:02 AM   #10
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:

Thanks! everyone.
I am pretty sure that is what you meant. I thought I just mention it for completeness sake, since others with JB might accidentally do it wrong. A very slim chance, since root is mounted read only by default as it should be.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:10 AM   #11
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
I still would recommend jailbreaking before updating. There is a “prevent updating “ hack that is supposed to be improved.
PW3 5.9.7 cannot be jailbroken.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:41 AM   #12
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I see that you used to be able to create a folder named "update.bin.tmp.partial" but it looks like that method stopped working as of 5.8.x.
There have been false and premature rumors about that for years. Do you know where to find the one about 5.8.x? Maybe the author can be persuaded to correct it.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote