Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-26-2008, 11:49 AM   #31
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurgE View Post
I added the following into tinyhttp.sh just before the execution of tinyhttp:

Code:
if [ -f /Data/FONT ]; then
   mount --bind /Data/FONT /opt/sony/ebook/FONT
fi
It doesn't seem to work as I hope. Am I putting the code in the correct place?
The code is in the correct place, but -f checks for existence of a file, not directory. If you want to mount the whole directory:

Code:
if [ -d /Data/FONT ]; then
   mount --bind /Data/FONT /opt/sony/ebook/FONT
fi
For debugging you can probably echo some messages into a log file on /Data, but you should make sure it doesn't grow forever.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #32
davidw89
Connoisseur
davidw89 began at the beginning.

Device: none atm
Can someone explain what this does?
davidw89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2008, 12:23 PM   #33
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Now what I want to do is find the image created that is then used to flash. Where is this image located once it's created? I want to have a look at the icons and see if I can do something with the replacement icons on the new firmware.
You can extract the cramfs.Fsk.img from the firmware updater.
If you want the final created image, you will need to edit make_opt.sh. I took out the code which copied it to the card since it was crashing the Reader. In the end, before the "Image created successfully " line, add the following:
Code:
cp $W_DIR/new_opt.img /Data
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:01 PM   #34
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
If you want the final created image, you will need to edit make_opt.sh. I took out the code which copied it to the card since it was crashing the Reader. In the end, before the "Image created successfully " line, add the following:
Code:
This isn't working for me. I made the change to make_opt.sh and the #5 create image runs successfully but I don't end up with a .img file on my card. I tried:

Quote:
and
cp /tmp/self_upgrade/new_opt.img /Data
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:00 PM   #35
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

/Data is the internal storage, not the card.
Advert
Old 07-26-2008, 04:52 PM   #36
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajala View Post
I'd love to know how to do this -- I'd forgotten how ugly the different sizes in the menus were before I updated the 505's firmware.
In the file Universal Flasher 2.0\files.505.1.1.00.18040\opt\sony\ebook\applicat ion\resources\scripts\main.xml, look for the three '<style id="*Big*" ...' styles & change the 'size=' value to the same as the matching "*Small*" value.

Then copy to SD, etc...

(There shouldn't be a space in 'application' but one shows up here for some reason!)

Last edited by gwynevans; 07-26-2008 at 04:55 PM.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:35 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Code:
I tired editing it with notepad. I think I did it right. But it still didn't work. Is there any way you can attach something that will work?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:00 PM   #38
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
/Data is the internal storage, not the card.
Thanks!
Old 07-26-2008, 08:34 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Thanks!
Did you get it to work?

If so can you attach your modified file that worked please?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:07 PM   #40
Dajala
Enthusiast
Dajala began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
look for the three '<style id="*Big*" ...' styles & change the 'size=' value to the same as the matching "*Small*" value.
Awesome. That works perfectly. It is so much more aesthetically pleasing with consistent, small menu items.

I can upload the file with the changes in it if anyone is nervous about doing it themselves. (I just don't want to step on anyone's toes...) Big thanks to igorsk and to gwynevans for the tips.

Last edited by Dajala; 07-26-2008 at 09:10 PM. Reason: forgot to thank peeps
Dajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:22 AM   #41
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Hi...I'm trying to flash my updated 505 with the new Universal Flasher 2.0 (from the top of this thread). If I'm understanding this correctly, by successfully doing this, I'd have the clock back on my 505.

I haven't been successful, so far. When I put the SD card with the files from the zip in my reader and push the 5 button, I get the following message on my reader:

"Sorry, this firmware version is not supported: 505.1.1.00.18040".

Am I missing a step or doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help!!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:29 AM   #42
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I tired editing it with notepad. I think I did it right. But it still didn't work. Is there any way you can attach something that will work?
Here's my make_opt file (If this upload takes). I renamed it make_opt.bat for the upload, so rename it back to make_opt.sh.
Attached Files
File Type: bat make_opt.bat (3.5 KB, 619 views)
Old 07-27-2008, 06:38 AM   #43
JeffElkins
Guru

I modified the About text string

Quote:
<record><number name="kind" value="-1"/><string name="text" value="Portions of this software are Copyright ©2005 The FreeType Project (www.freetype.org). All rights reserved."/></record>
to display my name and contact info:

Quote:
<record><number name="kind" value="-1"/><string name="text" value="This Ebook Reader Belongs to Jeffery Elkins - If found, please call XXX-XXX-XXXX."/></record>
Personalized readers for me and the wife
Old 07-27-2008, 06:47 AM   #44
jakewastaken
Media Whore.
jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Any luck on the "enter" button quick shutdown? I really miss that. It's not already here is it? It's not working for me.
jakewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:21 AM   #45
igorsk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I haven't been successful, so far. When I put the SD card with the files from the zip in my reader and push the 5 button, I get the following message on my reader:

"Sorry, this firmware version is not supported: 505.1.1.00.18040".
Do you have a directory named files.505.1.1.00.18040 in the root of the card?