Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #16
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Just out of curiousity, could the flasher replace the reader application with another? For instance FBreader ported to the 505 instead of the Sony reader.
The Flasher rebuilds Fsk filesystem, so in theory it can replace anything with anything. If and when the fbReader is ported to PRS-505, it doesn't have to "replace" anything, it can be added (by modding some XML files) as a viewer module for FB2 files (or some other format).
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #17
SurgE
Serial Bricker
SurgE doesn't litterSurgE doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KSO
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Igor, I don't think you can. After running mkdosfs /Data no longer supports symbolic links, so rebuilding the image in there is not going to be possible. You should stick with /tmp.
If my font is too big, can i make the font a symbolic link and link it to a font in /Data?
SurgE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #18
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurgE View Post
If my font is too big, can i make the font a symbolic link and link it to a font in /Data?
Probably. You will have to modify the script though, currently it can only replace files, not symlink them.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:54 PM   #19
SurgE
Serial Bricker

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Probably. You will have to modify the script though, currently it can only replace files, not symlink them.
Ok thanks. I'll give it a try
Old 07-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #20
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, you can, but you have to be very careful, as the /Data filesystem is normally accessible from your PC.

If you want to try something like this, you can fix up the tinyhttp.sh to check if there are some files in certain known location, and then mount them over top of your fonts. This way you can delete those files from the PC side, reset, and you will get the original fonts.

Something like this:

Code:
if [ -f /xxx/yyy ]
then
   mount --bind /xxx/yyy /whereever_my_font_is
fi

Last edited by porkupan; 07-25-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Advert
Old 07-25-2008, 01:06 PM   #21
SurgE
Serial Bricker

Quote:
Yes, you can, but you have to be very careful, as the /Data filesystem is normally accessible from your PC.
Well, I don't have much of a choice if I wanna use fonts that are 6mb in size
Old 07-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #22
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Well, I don't have much of a choice if I wanna use fonts that are 6mb in size
In this case you should mount the fonts from /Data over top of yours, but keep the original just in case (see my edited post above).
Old 07-25-2008, 01:15 PM   #23
leonardfrye
Enthusiast
leonardfrye began at the beginning.

Device: KindlePW
I could not get the flasher to work. I upgraded the firmware in my 505. Loaded the contents of the flasher zip file on a clean SD card. When the 505 came on I got the flasher menu. I selected 5 like the instructions say then after about 2 minutes the 505 rebooted. I did not get the menu again so I could select option 6. What am I missing here?

Thanks for your help ... just trying to get the clock back.
leonardfrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:21 PM   #24
SurgE
Serial Bricker

Quote:
In this case you should mount the fonts from /Data over top of yours, but keep the original just in case (see my edited post above).
Wow, that's a cool idea. I'll work on it. Thanks a lot
Old 07-25-2008, 05:40 PM   #25
leonardfrye
Enthusiast
leonardfrye began at the beginning.

Device: KindlePW
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardfrye View Post
I could not get the flasher to work. I upgraded the firmware in my 505. Loaded the contents of the flasher zip file on a clean SD card. When the 505 came on I got the flasher menu. I selected 5 like the instructions say then after about 2 minutes the 505 rebooted. I did not get the menu again so I could select option 6. What am I missing here?

Thanks for your help ... just trying to get the clock back.
I removed all of the books from my 505 and then tried the flasher again ... worked like a champ. I got the clock back. However, in am/pm mode the left character of the clock is chopped in half. I played with the xml file and could not fix it. So I modified the xml to where it does not append "am" or "pm" to the string. Oh well ... at least it works!
leonardfrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:34 AM   #26
SurgE
Serial Bricker

Quote:
I added the following into tinyhttp.sh just before the execution of tinyhttp:

Code:
if [ -f /Data/FONT ]; then
   mount --bind /Data/FONT /opt/sony/ebook/FONT
fi
It doesn't seem to work as I hope. Am I putting the code in the correct place?

Anyway, how can I output and see debugging messages using echo?
Old 07-26-2008, 06:14 AM   #27
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Just as a data-point, I've successfully updated to the new firmware then re-flashed after modifying the main.xml to use the 'small' title & font sizes for both '...Big...' and '...Small...' options, so I've now got the 'small' menus & the clock.

(I've not looked at what's needed to try to change icons, although I do prefer the custom ones to the stock ones, so may well try & investigate! when I have time!)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:49 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you can pull out the icons, we can have a compare of what's there with the updated icons and then proceed to fix things if need be.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:12 AM   #29
Dajala
Enthusiast
Dajala began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
after modifying the main.xml to use the 'small' title & font sizes for both '...Big...' and '...Small...' options, so I've now got the 'small' menus
I'd love to know how to do this -- I'd forgotten how ugly the different sizes in the menus were before I updated the 505's firmware.
Dajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've managed update the firmware of my 505 and then flash the clock, unified fonts, and holding enter shuts off the power. That worked very well.

Now what I want to do is find the image created that is then used to flash. Where is this image located once it's created? I want to have a look at the icons and see if I can do something with the replacement icons on the new firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote