Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 04-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #16
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
I tried again with a different sd card: same result
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:59 PM   #17
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
I tried again with a different sd card: same result
After the hack failed were you still left with an operating 505?
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2008, 01:01 PM   #18
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
After the hack failed were you still left with an operating 505?
Luckily, yes!
Old 04-26-2008, 01:44 PM   #19
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just installed the hack with no problems. Works great!

I did completely shut down the 505 before installing, not just putting into the sleep mode. I don't know if that would have anything to do with those having a problem.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:46 PM   #20
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
Just installed the hack with no problems. Works great!

I did completely shut down the 505 before installing, not just putting into the sleep mode. I don't know if that would have anything to do with those having a problem.
I tried it both ways.
Advert
Old 04-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #21
The Old Man
Fanatic

Strange...
Just another thought - I had no card in the memory card slot and about 130mb available on the Reader as show on libprs500.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:42 PM   #22
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
Someone in another thread was having trouble with his image and it turned out his unzip program was replacing UNIX style end-of-lines with Mac/DOS EOL. Check to see if your unzip program is doing this to you.
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:07 PM   #23
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabook View Post
Someone in another thread was having trouble with his image and it turned out his unzip program was replacing UNIX style end-of-lines with Mac/DOS EOL. Check to see if your unzip program is doing this to you.
Still no joy here. I'm using linux unzip so I tried both unzipping with the -a and then the -b options, neither changing the outcome. Then I brought up a WinXP vmware image and tried WinZip also w/o success. Failure to flash message in all cases.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #24
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Still no joy here. I'm using linux unzip so I tried both unzipping with the -a and then the -b options, neither changing the outcome. Then I brought up a WinXP vmware image and tried WinZip also w/o success. Failure to flash message in all cases.
I'm using winrar in xp and having the same result
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:19 PM   #25
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm curious, could this method be used to restore an original firmware image? Would it be a workable layman solution to breaking a 505 out of the "Firmware Update Not Completed" loop?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:18 AM   #26
bookbinder
Connoisseur
bookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, FW:5.6.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
1.UnZip this to the root of the SD card (might work with a memory stick).
2. Power off the 505 using the power switch.
3. Insert the SD card
4. Turn on the 505.
5. Press 6 to flash the image.
6. When done, press 9 to reboot.
7. Once the screen goes blank remove the SD card
8. Once it's booted, you are all set

You will have the clock, the unified font,the new icons, and the press and hold the enter button to power down the 505.

Use at your own risk.
Jon,
I'd like to make button "1" a page-turn button. Is it possible with this hack?
bookbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:34 AM   #27
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
No joy here either. The flash will not flash. I get a very quick message of ... something "not able to copy to /tmp/."

The autorun log says "copy error: Fsk error, code = -41"

Over 980 MB left on my 1 GB SD card, so I don't think it is a lack of space.

I appreciate the work, Jon. Just didn't work out for me.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:39 AM   #28
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookbinder View Post
Jon,
I'd like to make button "1" a page-turn button. Is it possible with this hack?
Bookbinder, I am going to take a guess that you view files in a landscape orientation?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:13 AM   #29
davidw89
Connoisseur
davidw89 began at the beginning.

Device: none atm
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
1.UnZip this to the root of the SD card (might work with a memory stick).
2. Power off the 505 using the power switch.
3. Insert the SD card
4. Turn on the 505.
5. Press 6 to flash the image.
6. When done, press 9 to reboot.
7. Once the screen goes blank remove the SD card
8. Once it's booted, you are all set

You will have the clock, the unified font,the new icons, and the press and hold the enter button to power down the 505.

Use at your own risk.
Worked fine..THE ICONS LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER and the time at the bottom right hand screen..genius buddy
So can i delete the stuff from the memory card afterward?
davidw89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #30
The Old Man
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidw89 View Post
Worked fine..THE ICONS LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER and the time at the bottom right hand screen..genius buddy
So can i delete the stuff from the memory card afterward?
Absolutely! You should remove the memory card ontaining the hack files from the Reader. You can then delete the files from the SD card or save them, your choice.