Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-05-2007, 06:45 AM   #61
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Even an "M" letter would be awesome to indicate music playing (if letters are possible, at least).
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:26 AM   #62
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
History with Joystick

Hi guys.

Thank you for great tool, reader is becoming a better device with every hack.

I have a question about the "history with joystick". I have created my hack with clock, delete books, direct page control, joystick history, joystick page flit, small menu font, total page counter. I did not change button mapping. After flashing every hack works except the history. Joystick works for page flip only when in a book, no history, no up and down within a book (when I have links on the same page). "Right" and "Down" take me to the next page, "Left" and "Up" go a page back. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to do something else, map the buttons?

Thanks for your help,
David
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2007, 10:33 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogg View Post
Ok, delete books hack added.

Also, I put in the persistent total page counter, too. Now you can turn your Reader OFF and still retain the count.
Unless you make it so obvious that you can get your reader stuck in a loop if you delete a book in a collection, I suggest removing the delete books hack. It's dangerous to the uninformed. And I don't think we want to be distributing a hack that could possibly cause such a problem that would make other think their reader is broken. This is a serious issue.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:55 AM   #64
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Wonderful tool, but I'd request that any known dangers like what Jon has mentioned be prominently noted also -- I'm sure there are a lot of people that will just grab it and don't know much about dangers or recovery methods. Many people probably don't read much of the thread even, but just give it a try. Even if it's all obvious to someone that has been following along all the discussion, it won't be obvious to others (like me, even).

A note at the download link might be a simple immediate solution? Something in the program itself would be a great solution for whatever period of time there is some risk involved with particular portions or combinations, etc.

But, wow, what an amazing tool from the looks of things, and I'm looking forward to extending what hacks I have installed with it!!!! Big thumbs up for your work!!!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #65
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
I understand Jon's concerns. It is dangerous for an average user to try the book delete hack without knowing the problem it could cause. However, I don't think removing it is a good choice since many people have found it useful. I personally don't use collections and don't know the percentage of people using it (maybe we can have a poll?).

But I do agree we should put a WARNING in the main window of the Hack Master. May be a "Dangerous!" label in red after the hack name in the checklist?

Another option is in the code, checking a book if it is in a collection before deleting it. Though I don't think that's even possible to implement.
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2007, 11:50 AM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhuang View Post
I understand Jon's concerns. It is dangerous for an average user to try the book delete hack without knowing the problem it could cause. However, I don't think removing it is a good choice since many people have found it useful. I personally don't use collections and don't know the percentage of people using it (maybe we can have a poll?).

But I do agree we should put a WARNING in the main window of the Hack Master. May be a "Dangerous!" label in red after the hack name in the checklist?

Another option is in the code, checking a book if it is in a collection before deleting it. Though I don't think that's even possible to implement.
My concerns are that we don't know what this hack is going to do besides get stuck in an endless loop when you try to delete a book in a collection. It's an unknown. It might do nothing and just need a cycle with the on/off switch. Might start eating other files. Who knows? Do you? Can you say it won't do something that would cause other issues? It's an unknown. That's the issue.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:57 AM   #67
mdhuang
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My concerns are that we don't know what this hack is going to do besides get stuck in an endless loop when you try to delete a book in a collection. It's an unknown. It might do nothing and just need a cycle with the on/off switch. Might start eating other files. Who knows? Do you? Can you say it won't do something that would cause other issues? It's an unknown. That's the issue.
That's good point. I have read the Russian page (translated to English by Google) and it mentioned the recovery procedure. I haven't tried it myself. But based on what's said, it shouldn't brick your reader.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:59 AM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
That's good point. I have read the Russian page (translated to English by Google) and it mentioned the recovery procedure. I haven't tried it myself. But based on what's said, it shouldn't brick your reader.
So what do people do if they have this hack, use it to delete a book in a collection and do not know the recovery procedure? This hack needs more testing or at least a warning added when it is used to tell people NOT to use it on any books in a collection. To be honest, it's not ready for the average person.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:03 PM   #69
mdhuang
Bookworm

That's the link to the original post. I barely understand the translation though.

http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools
Old 09-05-2007, 12:08 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
That's the link to the original post. I barely understand the translation though.

http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools
That is pretty hard to understand parts of it. But it looks like it at the least damages the collection. But is that all it does?
Old 09-05-2007, 12:16 PM   #71
mdhuang
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is pretty hard to understand parts of it. But it looks like it at the least damages the collection. But is that all it does?
Here you are:

http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...?p=83130#83130
Old 09-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
it's not much better when babelfish translates it.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:39 PM   #73
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Soft reset should fix the endless loop.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:45 PM   #74
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
Here is my translation:

ограничения:
Limitations:
1. если книжка, которую удалили, находилась в коллекции - коллекция рушится. при попытке входа в неё ридер подвисает. но если после этого подцепить к ридеру комп по usb и отцепиться обратно - коллекция обновляется и ей снова можно пользоваться. либо можно перегрузить ридера.
If you delete a book from a collection, it breaks the collection. As soon as you try to use the collection, reader gets into an infinite loop and does not respond until battery is dead. You can fix it by connecting to usb and disconnecting: collection is renewed, you can use it again. Or, by restarting the reader (this last statement is not clear to me, seems a restart will fix the problem).

2. книжка вполне удаляется с карточки sd/memorystick, но картой после этого опять-таки невозможно пользоваться без перезагрузки ридера либо подключения/отключения его к компьютеру по usb.
You can delete books from sd/stick but cannot use the card after it, have to restart the reader or connect to usb.

I put this hack on my reader yesterday, deleted files from SD, no problem at all. I did not have to restart it or connect to a computer, reader was working fine with the card. So for me it worked great: read a book on SD, delete it, move to next one. I don't use collections and did not test #1.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:51 PM   #75
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
Quote:

I think the hack-help menu-option already shows that this is a dangerous hack.. maybe the warning could be changed to CAPITALS perhaps..

otherwise, i agree it should remain, I don;t use collections and I have always wanted this feature...

F.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote