Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-20-2007, 03:07 PM   #61
AndyQ
Enthusiast
AndyQ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyQ
I did that (well, I used libprs500) and that set the time from 00:00 to an hour earlier than my PC clock is set to).
Well, I figured out how to "fix" the time on my reader.

I changed my Windows timezone to one that was an hour ahead (Amsterdam), re-connected my reader and synced with libprs500 and that worked.

I guess that because my timezone was set to GMT but we're in Daylight Savings Time time at the moment, things got a little confused.
AndyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 03:45 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Well, I figured out how to "fix" the time on my reader.

I changed my Windows timezone to one that was an hour ahead (Amsterdam), re-connected my reader and synced with libprs500 and that worked.

I guess that because my timezone was set to GMT but we're in Daylight Savings Time time at the moment, things got a little confused.
If you are in the UK, your timezone isn't GMT. It's BST. That's why your time is an hour off.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2007, 05:25 PM   #63
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
... we're in Daylight Savings Time time at the moment, things got a little confused.
Doesn't your Windows have the option to check that you observer DST? That'd probably take care of it for you automagically.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:03 AM   #64
AndyQ
Enthusiast
AndyQ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Indeed. My Timezone is set to GMT (London, etc) - as there isn't a BST timezone option, and then the checkbox to allow observe DST is checked.

If I then sync the reader the reader time is set to one hour earlier then my PC time.

If I then change only the timezone to be one that is one hour ahead of GMT and then sync the reader, the time on the reader is then correct (but I guess its internal timezone is wrong).

Note this is on Vista - I haven't tried XP or anything.
AndyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:13 AM   #65
otterman
otterman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500/PRS-700/iPhone 3G (overhyped)
Oops, bye-bye bookmarks.
otterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2007, 07:15 AM   #66
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Doesn't your Windows have the option to check that you observer DST? That'd probably take care of it for you automagically.
It would, but not on the reader.
Bear in mind that the Reader runs on Linux. Which, like all Unixen (Unices? ) keeps the real time clock on GMT, then adds the time zone and DST corrections before displaying it. Windows, on the other hand, adds (/subtracts) the corrections to(/from) the RTC itself...
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:44 AM   #67
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ah, well then.

I like "Unixies" as a plural for Unix.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:18 AM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterman
Oops, bye-bye bookmarks.
The only book info I lost was the book I left open when I shut off before I updated my Reader. So the solution is to make sure you are at the main menu before you update your Reader. It was my fault really. But I managed to figure out where I was in the book and it's all good now.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:03 PM   #69
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
The only book info I lost was the book I left open when I shut off before I updated my Reader. So the solution is to make sure you are at the main menu before you update your Reader. It was my fault really. But I managed to figure out where I was in the book and it's all good now.

If I'm not mistaking the Reader goes back to the state it was when connected the last time to the Connect software. So before flashing it's good to connect it to your PC and start Connect. That way he should remember where it left of in your book(s).
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:29 PM   #70
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I've read through the thread and the readme file. Can I rename any font (i.e., I like Georgia) to tt0003m_.ttf or something like that?
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:48 AM   #71
Slowhand
Slowhand began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane
I've read through the thread and the readme file. Can I rename any font (i.e., I like Georgia) to tt0003m_.ttf or something like that?
Yep. It seems so.
Slowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #72
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just a note of caution here. If you use a font with very different metrics from the default font, certain parts of the LRF may have their formatting ruined. Tables are the best example of this.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:58 PM   #73
tuktuk
tuktuk began at the beginning.

Device: Zaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by each
Great job!
I have a question: is it possible to add built-in fonts for Asian language, such as Chinese. Any restrictions on the file size of these fonts?
I don't think it is possible for Chinese.

There are actually three fonts in the Reader. With the 7mb limitation in mind, you could pick the most frequent ~ 2,000 characters and put them only in one of the three fonts. It could possibly work for basic Korean or Japanese but I understand that you need much more characters for Chinese, right?

See

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...achmentid=2663
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...achmentid=2665
tuktuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:06 PM   #74
tuktuk
tuktuk began at the beginning.

Device: Zaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal
Just a note of caution here. If you use a font with very different metrics from the default font, certain parts of the LRF may have their formatting ruined. Tables are the best example of this.
To illustrate here is a font that has crazy Japanese characters when the size is small (other sizes are ok).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...achmentid=2664
tuktuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 05:55 AM   #75
each
Connoisseur
each has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 650/iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuktuk
I don't think it is possible for Chinese.

There are actually three fonts in the Reader. With the 7mb limitation in mind, you could pick the most frequent ~ 2,000 characters and put them only in one of the three fonts. It could possibly work for basic Korean or Japanese but I understand that you need much more characters for Chinese, right?

See

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...achmentid=2663
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...achmentid=2665
Yeah, I tried to rename a Chinese font which is no more than 5MB to one of these three fonts, it doesn't work and bricked my ereader.
I am thinking the way you mentioned, can you tell me how to put chinese characters into one of these fonts?
each is offline   Reply With Quote