Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 01:26 PM   #16
tesseract420
tesseract420 is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-500
Installation Problems (Rasterfarian 2.5 beta)

Since everyone seems to have such good luck with the install, I hate to report a problem, but...

First, I get a message saying "Xcopy" not a valid command or batch file.
Second, it tells me that .Net Framework 2.0 is not detected (nevertheless, the .Net Framework is installed, and I even reinstalled it to make sure). The install then opens a browser window to download the .Net Framework, but this is already installed. Installation proceeds, but then, while Rasterfarian shows up as a program group on the start menu, the program group is not populated.

Right-clicking does not show a Rasterfarian option.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-20-2007, 03:03 PM   #17
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
tesseract, are you trying to install on a work/public pc or as a limited user (or on vista or..)? It seems there are security restrictions preventing rasterfarian from accessing the registry, creating shortcuts, or even using xcopy (which comes standard with windows). I can't tell you any more than that, but hopefully I've given you some ideas. If you manage to figure it out, please come back and share the info.

You can also use RasterFarian without installing it just by double-clicking PDFRasterFarian.cmd
Advert
Old 04-20-2007, 03:15 PM   #18
tesseract420

Installation Problem solved

I solved the installation problem by copying "xcopy.exe" (which was elsewhere on my computer; I believe it resides in the system32 directory; in any case there was a stray copy in the windows\servicepack directory) into the same folder where install.bat resides.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:19 PM   #19
tesseract420

Installation Problem Follow-up

Thanks; I'm running XP Home, Service Pack 2. There's only one user on the machine. I guess my solution is more in the nature of a work around; but it did solve the problem. I running a ridiculously difficult pdf through now; I'll let you know the results.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:21 PM   #20
alex_d
Addict

ok, i'll bundle xcopy in the future. It won't be the first time i had to include a windows executable that should be on everyone's machines. I wonder how these things get lost... Windows File Protection should even kick in if it goes missing (I just tried deleting my copy and it comes back in a few seconds).

Let us know how the pdf turns out.
Advert
Old 04-20-2007, 03:46 PM   #21
alex_d
Addict

2.5.1 is posted with some very minor bug fixes and wording changes.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:30 AM   #22
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d
thanks, curiouser. I think me or ashkultz can use py2exe to convert your function into something that can be inserted into rasterfarian. Can you make a quick stand-alone py script that takes in a range of overlap 0-to-whatever and input from the pipe and outputs to the pipe in a netpbm format? If that's that at all complicated, any sort of input/output would be fine.
I've tried curiouser's function, but I didn't find results to be as good that they would be with unpaper. Also, it works exclusively on PGM images, so it'd be easy to integrate in both RasterFarian and PDFRead. I'm already incorporating it in my next release, I'd advise you to do the same.

Attached a sample of running unpaper. The tricky thing is knowing what options to provide as default to the user....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	input.png
Views:	758
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	3226   Click image for larger version

Name:	cleaned.png
Views:	778
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	3227  
Old 04-21-2007, 11:02 AM   #23
jgs
jgs is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-500
2.5.1 Installation

A few questions:

1. What are the different "parts" in the download for? Do they all have to be extracted?
2. I just extracted Part 1 and the application seemed to work. Am I missing something by not extracting the other parts?
3. When the conversion was complete on my test, Connect opened and then hung. What happened here?

Thanks for helping a real newbe

Jim
Old 04-21-2007, 11:44 AM   #24
alex_d
Addict

ok. I think i'll default to pnmcrop for plain autocropping and have an unpaper option for scanned/noisy pdfs. We'll see what options have to be included, but with the preview feature it shouldn't be difficult for the user to figure out the right settings.

jgs, the "parts" is how WinRAR splits up a single archive into multiple pieces (there's a filesize limit on attachments). You have to download all of them, but telling winrar to unzip one will unzip all automatically (it's all one archive, not multiple archives). When conversion completes, connect should not launch automatically unless you double-click the lrf. You don't need to preview the file in Connect anyway. Keep in mind that what looks good on an LCD is precisely what looks bad on eInk, and vice versa. As for connect hanging... i don't know. It does that sometimes.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:02 PM   #25
jgs
jgs is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-500
I am using WINZip to extract. Can I assume that it works the same as WinRAR (e.g. if I extract Part 1 then they all extract).

You are right, Connect did not automatically open. Connect still does hang sometimes.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:53 PM   #26
tesseract420

Report on 497 page book with Rasterfarian 2.5 Beta

Hi Alex,

OK, my computer was up all night processing this monster. The text has all sorts of odd formattting, similar to a three column blog. In Connect the text looks great, but on the Reader the text is a little light. If I could darken the text it would be great.

If the program is running properly is there any reason to upgrade to 2.5.1?

Best,
Old 04-21-2007, 11:06 PM   #27
alex_d
Addict

Tesseract, that's why there's all those settings for controlling Dilate and Edge Enhancement. The Dilate factor is the one you'd want to turn up (or rather down). Also, I hope you have your modes all straight now. If you convert in "halfs-of-a-page" but set the Reader to "portrait", you'll see the whole page but the text will be broken. Similar things happen vice versa.

Come to think of it... if halfs-of-a-page is the default mode for RasterFarian, and portrait mode is the default for the Sony Reader.... GODDAMIT. there must have been tons of people who tried it and thought "bah, what crap." you know what, i think i've just decided i hate users >=(

Last edited by alex_d; 04-21-2007 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:11 AM   #28
jimmyzou
Connoisseur
jimmyzou began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader; Kobo; Nook color
I tried it, and after running, showed "...expired, please contact ...@pdf-tools.com"?
and nothing converted out...
Old 04-23-2007, 06:19 AM   #29
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I think I miss something.
I installed 2.5.0 version but could not find any GUI....where is it?
Old 04-24-2007, 01:04 AM   #30
kurt_roy
kurt_roy began at the beginning.

I had problems with autocrap. If I enable this option , the output pdf is always blank without errors.
It worked only without autocrapping...very slowly.

thanks!

Last edited by kurt_roy; 04-24-2007 at 01:21 AM.
Closed Thread