Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 09:12 PM   #61
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Heh my buddy just got a $400 weber grill off craigslist for $150. I dont blame you for buying the thing. Unfortunately if Amazon wont help you out, you are kinda SOL. I would contact them and beg them for hep

Having said that, I never knew there were so many good, moral people on mobileread... ok yes I did..but not from this thread
Old 09-23-2010, 09:20 PM   #62
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Okay, this is just me, but here's what I would do:

First, I'd contact Craigslist and tell them what happened and try to get the seller banned.

Next, I'd go to the police and report the scam. They might keep the Kindle as evidence, but that's okay because the guy might actually be brought in and forced to make restitution to you in exchange for not pressing charges.

Finally, I'd rest easy knowing that I'd done what I reasonably could to get even with the guy. It would be far more trouble than it's worth financially, but striking back at evildoers is its own reward (as is Old Testament vengeance).

I wouldn't worry about returning anything to Amazon. They don't care about getting a used Kindle back. More trouble than it's worth to them.

It may not seem like it now, but $120 is a pretty cheap life lesson.

Good luck, whatever you do.
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #63
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
It never ceases to amaze me when I read the back and forth in threads such as this one. The difference between what is morally right (good) and morally wrong (evil) should "under all circumstances be discernible by the right application of human reason." (paraphrasing Augustine, I believe). It's no wonder we live in such a screwed up world.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #64
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
He is currently in possession of stolen goods.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:44 PM   #65
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I would think that reporting it to the police and/or craigs list would be the first step.

Not sure if returning it to Amazon would be as easy as some people think. They have probably been reimbursed by insurance and would not like the paperwork.

There should be some clear path to take in this instance but what one wonders.

The kindle can still be used obviously, but at the price of the op's peace of mind. Every time he turns it on he will be reminded that he inadvertantly bought stolen property and the person who sold it to him.

Helen
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 09:45 PM   #66
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daesdaemar View Post
It never ceases to amaze me when I read the back and forth in threads such as this one. The difference between what is morally right (good) and morally wrong (evil) should "under all circumstances be discernible by the right application of human reason." (paraphrasing Augustine, I believe). It's no wonder we live in such a screwed up world.
Ethics is complicated, anyone who thinks everything is black and white is a moron.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:47 PM   #67
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier View Post
Ethics is complicated, anyone who thinks everything is black and white is a moron.
True, but this case isn't rocket science.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:52 PM   #68
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
He is currently in possession of stolen goods.
Could also just be lost...
Old 09-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #69
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Could also just be lost...
Lost NIB? Probably not.

It's hard to at first realize a kindle could be stolen, but once you do find out you should do the right thing. You may be out the cash but that's the price we pay for doing the right thing so we can live in a decent society.

Also I see myself as frugal but saving $10 or $20 on such an expensive device isn't that big a deal.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:12 AM   #70
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
IMHO, $120 for a Kindle that cannot use the whispernet and download books on the fly is not worth it.

The whole value of the Kindle device is its easy access to hundreds of thousands of books.

So regardless of how you came into possesion of the Kindle, it is worthless... IMHO.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:08 AM   #71
scott h
scott h began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
you can always sell it on craigs list Just kidding

Reality is when buying any electronics, one should buy from a reliable source. It's a lesson I learned a while ago. Let's hope you dont make the same mistake again. Look on the bright side, maybe this will stop you from making a bigger mistake on a more expensive item down the road.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:41 AM   #72
GBerlin
GBerlin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2Global
You know, I generally don't buy Amazon books for my Kindle. But that's not the issue. THe guy bought stolen goods and the owner is identifiable. There is no issue. Return it to the owner. Just as we would all like all stolen items returned to us if possible. I think Apple has fostered this "theft is ok" idea because although they have the ability Aazon has, they have chosen not to use it and the huge market in stolen Apple products seems to have dulled moral sense in a lot of folks.
If I knew someone who knowingly retained stolen goods, I would consider him dangerous to be around and worth avoiding actively.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:11 AM   #73
thadiyan
Enthusiast
thadiyan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Touch
Huh why a shot at Apple? Irrespective of one is an Apple user/hater/fan is, why are they even pertinent to this discussion?

Honda civics are the most stolen cars in the US, so why not blame them for somebody purchasing a stolen Kindle too?

Further $120 is not an unreasonably price to pay for a wifi kindle in craigslist, there could be a situation where somebody got it as a gift and would rather sell it and keep the cash. The only thing I would have done is to open the unit and make sure it boots up and registers with Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBerlin View Post
You know, I generally don't buy Amazon books for my Kindle. But that's not the issue. THe guy bought stolen goods and the owner is identifiable. There is no issue. Return it to the owner. Just as we would all like all stolen items returned to us if possible. I think Apple has fostered this "theft is ok" idea because although they have the ability Aazon has, they have chosen not to use it and the huge market in stolen Apple products seems to have dulled moral sense in a lot of folks.
If I knew someone who knowingly retained stolen goods, I would consider him dangerous to be around and worth avoiding actively.

Last edited by thadiyan; 09-24-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #74
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Call amazon and negotiate. Ask for a half price off k3 for your troubles. Amazon customer service has always been top notch.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:36 AM   #75
branchedout
branchedout began at the beginning.

Device: Soon-to-be K3
Yow. Poor OP. Being considered scum!

Though, I agree with the fellow who says, "Hindsight is 20/20."

I like deals. I bought a used game that cost $15. It was $30 in store. Seemed like a worthy purchase.

Amazon's probably shipped the original owner of the kindle a new one, and all is well for him. I could bet, say, $120 that they don't mind (other than being irate waiting for the the shipment of another kindle) that the stolen one's out there. They'd actually feel pretty sorry for the OP, I'd bet.

If it were another way, say, that Amazon DIDN'T give the original seller a new kindle, then OP would have a moral decision to make.

But for now, headin' off to the police would be the best bet. If he can get his $120 back, then all's well. Just, the question would be that what to do with that Kindle he has. At that point, he'd have gotten a (gimped) kindle for free, which the original owner may have a problem with! This is when he might have to return the kindle back to Amazon.

Whether or not Amazon would want it back is up to Amazon.

And then the quest for the person to point fingers to continues.
Closed Thread