Notices

Old 09-29-2006, 01:08 AM   #1
tofuman
Enthusiast
tofuman began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad/ipaq3970
Question: Book Purchase at CONNECT store from outside US

Hello.

When I bought IRex's iLiad, I thought I would never consider purchasing Sony Reader. I still like the spec of iLiad better because I the like bigger screen.

But since it's very unlikely I can get new books from the IRex store anytime soon, I'm considering Sony reader.

But I'm in Korea and even if I purchase the Reader through my friend in US, I won't be able to buy books in the CONNECT store. Is there any workaround to it? If my friend in US buys the book and send it to me, will I be able to read it on the Reader?

I have an iLiad for all the documents and copyright-free ebooks and I'm gonna use the Reader only for the books purchased at the CONNECT store. So if I cannot buy the books at the CONNECT sotre, I don't have a need for the Reader.

Last edited by tofuman; 09-29-2006 at 01:57 AM. Reason: poor english
tofuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 07:02 AM   #2
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Not sure if this helps, since you still need to authorized your PC that will be outside US
Quote:
Question
How do I download my eBooks to other computers?

Answer
To download your purchased eBooks to other computers:
You must first authorize that computer to download from CONNECT eBooks (You can have up to 6 devices (computers, Sony Readers) authorized to your CONNECT eBooks account). If you already have 6 devices authorized and want to add another, you must de-authorize one of the 6 that are currently authorized. Click here to learn how to de-authorize 1 of your devices. Once your computer is authorized, log-in to your account, click on "Account" and under "Transaction History & Credits" click "View and Download all Purchased eBooks".
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2006, 07:19 AM   #3
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
On other hand, if you don't need CONNECT software, then your friend can authorize his/here PC and your eReader, and just send you files, that you can copy to MS or SD card and use with the Reader
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:55 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That won't work, Slava, unless the Reader is registered to the friend's Connect Account. If it were, then tofuman could download his books directly from the Store himself.

What you have to have to buy books from the Connect Store is a credit card with a U.S. billing address on your Connect account.

So, here's a scenario: you get your Reader, install the software and register your new baby with the Connect store. Now all you need is to add a U.S. addressed credit card to your Connect account.

So, tofuman, if your friend is willing to let you use his card on your account, you should be able to order books directly, no sweat.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:48 PM   #5
tofuman
Enthusiast
tofuman began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad/ipaq3970
Thanks for the answers!

I sure hope they don't check the IP address of my PC.
tofuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2006, 11:30 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nah, it's supposed to be tied to the credit card address. How do they know that you aren't just travelling, um, all the time?

Besides, think of all the overseas stationed military personel, I'm sure they want them to have access. Lotsa reading time on naval ships, for instance.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:43 AM   #7
denver
denver began at the beginning.

Hey guys, new member here. I live in the UK and would really love to get my hands on a sony reader, but there don't seem to be any plans to release here

I did spot this in the T&C of the free $50 connect credit

Quote:
If any downloads from CONNECT eBooks exceed the remaining balance of your Credit, you must otherwise pay the balance using a credit card, a CONNECT eBooks gift certificate, CONNECT eBooks pre-paid card or CONNECT eBooks discount coupon. You may not apply your Credit toward previous purchases or downloads.
So, might it be possible to use connect gify certificates, or am I just dreaming?

I have a vague memory of the iTunes store originally requiring a US credit card address before it would let you do anything
denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:46 AM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Check section 8.2.
Seems to me you'll have to provide the card details only if they actually need to charge you...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:02 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

Hmm. You might be onto something there, denver....

I could see someone maybe setting up a service to buy yourself Gift Certificates through -- you pay them the amount (plus a small service fee), and they buy the GC for you.

I think that might just work.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:51 AM   #10
ChrisAllenFiz
Enthusiast
ChrisAllenFiz doesn't litterChrisAllenFiz doesn't litter

I think a lot of people like me just want to be able to buy our $50 worth of free books. If I can do that, I`ll be happy.
ChrisAllenFiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:03 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

You ought to be able to do that just fine, ChrisAllenFiz.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:31 AM   #12
slainte
Zealot
slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Smile

Hi
I have just bought the Sony reader and live in Ireland. I have tried to connect to the estore but can't obviously because i don't live in the US. What other website can I download sony compatible books from?

Slainte::
slainte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by slainte View Post
Hi
I have just bought the Sony reader and live in Ireland. I have tried to connect to the estore but can't obviously because i don't live in the US. What other website can I download sony compatible books from?

Have you tried downloading eBooks from Mobileread?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebo...&genreid=&ltr=
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #14
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slainte View Post
Hi

Go read this thread.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:26 AM   #15
slainte
Zealot
slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wink

Hi

I have been on the fictionwise site which looks good but note that many of my favourite authors do not appear in multiformat which is the format for the Sony reader. Is there any way to get these changed?

slainte is offline   Reply With Quote