Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
Kindle Previewer

I convert many books (epub to KindlePreviewer) to mobi format... but I'm having just one pesky problem... Chapter Headings... everything else is wonderful. When I tweak the epub (in Sigil) to show my Chapter Headings in the correct size (just a skosh bigger than the 100% body text), they look fabulous on the Previewer for all Kindle devices (of course not the iPad and iPhone)... however when I get them to my KindleFire to preview on an actual device, the 'skosh' bigger than 100% bodytext (or Normal) has suddenly gotten to be about 115% and bold. Why would this be? Is Kindle Previewer being accurate in its preview? It's a small thing, but I'm a perfectionist and my clients expect that from me!
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AThirstyMind View Post
I convert many books (epub to KindlePreviewer) to mobi format... but I'm having just one pesky problem... Chapter Headings... everything else is wonderful. When I tweak the epub (in Sigil) to show my Chapter Headings in the correct size (just a skosh bigger than the 100% body text), they look fabulous on the Previewer for all Kindle devices (of course not the iPad and iPhone)... however when I get them to my KindleFire to preview on an actual device, the 'skosh' bigger than 100% bodytext (or Normal) has suddenly gotten to be about 115% and bold. Why would this be? Is Kindle Previewer being accurate in its preview? It's a small thing, but I'm a perfectionist and my clients expect that from me!
Hi:

Can I ask what your CSS says?

ETA: Oh, and how are you sending them to your Fire, please?

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 10-09-2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: 2nd Q.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

display: block;
font-family: "Times New Roman", "serif";
font-size: 1.15em;
font-style: italic;
font-weight: normal;
line-height: 1.2;
margin-bottom: 0.0001pt;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
margin-top: 0.5in;
text-align: center

This is the Sigil/epub css for Chapter Heading (h1), the only thing not perfect in my files now... Everything else converts from this epub to mobi (KindlePreviewer) beautifully...

Last edited by AThirstyMind; 10-10-2012 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Let something off
Old 10-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind

Oh, and I'm emailing the mobi file to my Amazon acct, where it downloads into my "Doc" heading on the KindleFire. I thought this might have been a problem, but yesterday I purchased one of my client's recent books and the Chapter Heading had the same issue.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AThirstyMind View Post
Oh, and I'm emailing the mobi file to my Amazon acct, where it downloads into my "Doc" heading on the KindleFire. I thought this might have been a problem, but yesterday I purchased one of my client's recent books and the Chapter Heading had the same issue.
Thirsty:

For what it's worth, that means you're getting k7 conversion, not K8, short-handing it. The "mailto" email addies use the old MBPCreator-style conversion, so you're not getting a MasterMobi, as you would if you converted this through Previewer or Kindlegen. It is important to note that this will also affect a file that has already been made with Kindlegen, prior to being processed through KDP.

So, to be clear: even if you made a K8 book (using CSS, in other words) through KindleGen, if you email the resulting mobi to your Fire device, you will get what is a "down-converted" book. That's why you're having problems, and it's why I asked how you were sending them to your device. To see how the book will really function, you either must sideload the book via real wifi (not emailed "wifi") or USB, or, you must run it through KDP, and then download the sample file, and send that to your Kindle Fire via email. OK?

Hope this helps,

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind

Thanks so much Hitch... I thought it was probably something about the emailing process. OK, I'll transfer the files as you suggested so I get the true KF8.

Tags
chapter headings, kindle previewer