Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-08-2019, 09:53 AM   #1
DarkWorld
DarkWorld began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O (1st gen)
Reader with physical controls?

I've had a Kobo Aura for a bit before, touchscreen was ok but much much prefer physical buttons, so ended up returning it.

Then used a PRS-T1 from a second hand store fore a long time, and tho it's slow sometimes, the presence of physical buttons made it wonderful to use. I also prefer buttons to touchscreen, as I am usually reading wile mobile (walking, on the train) where swiping/tapping the screen ends up being way more awkward, and I cannot operate it single handed.

Since I am less monetarily gifted, I will most likely buy a device second hand, so whether it's in production or not doesn't really matter, since I'm gonna be on ebay anyway.

in advance!
DarkWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:29 PM   #2
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
If a frontlit screen isn't important, maybe look for another Sony. These are no longer supported, but many still use them.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:45 PM   #3
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
For Physical buttons, consider a kindle voyage, or a pocketbook. Or a Sony T1/2/3
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:01 AM   #4
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
fyi in case the OP is thinking of getting another Sony - unlike my old Sony PRS-T1, my T3 hardly ever locks up and is still able to get Overdrive library books directly, if that is something you are interested in. From what I've read on the boards here, I think the T2 also still has library access.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:16 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Can the battery of a Sony be easily replaced? Any device this age is going to have a battery which is approaching end of life. I wouldn’t get one unless it’s possible to replace the battery.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:46 PM   #6
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
The T series battery is not user replaceable. However, I used my PRS-T1 for approximately 5 years before giving up on it and the battery was certainly still usable at that point. (I quit using it due to frequent dictionary freeze and the fact it was no longer able to directly download Overdrive books.)

I had bought my T3 to have as a reserve and had it in a drawer for probably a couple of years before I started using it. Been using it for a couple years now and battery is still OK.

Over in the Sony section of the Mobileread forum there are several people (RCentros being the first who comes to mind - he is quite the collector!) who have bought used Sonys from ebay, Goodwill etc. and been happy with them. So if the OP could get one cheap it may be worth the risk regarding the battery.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:44 PM   #7
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A techie friend changed the battery of my old prs 505. It's not an easy job, but it's doable.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:33 PM   #8
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I have quite the collection of Sonys. Mostly from Shopgoodwill.com.

My daily use reader is my T2 and it's still in great shape. Holds a charge for weeks before I need to charge again. My T1 was always buggy and my T3 is my backup. I have a drawer full of other Sonys too. Got a little obsessed with having them all at one point.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #9
DarkWorld

I'd love to get another sony but unfortunately being in australia people are selling them at $40.

Everything is super expencive here, a used kindle gen4 which I was considering would cost me $25.

pocketbook doesn't exist here either, and anyting here appears to be either ovrpriced or super outdated :\
Old 06-14-2019, 01:55 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
$25 doesn’t sound “super expensive” at all to me. Entirely the opposite.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:58 PM   #11
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If it works, that's a very reasonable price.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:18 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWorld View Post
I'd love to get another sony but unfortunately being in australia people are selling them at $40.

Everything is super expencive here, a used kindle gen4 which I was considering would cost me $25.

pocketbook doesn't exist here either, and anyting here appears to be either ovrpriced or super outdated :\
Kobo is not "super outdated" and easily purchased here. And comparing the US and UK prices with the local prices, they are in the same ballpark.

As to $40 for a Sony Twhatever, if I saw one at that price, I'd own one. But, of course, "expensive" is not an absolute, it is different for different people.

Last edited by davidfor; 06-19-2019 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:40 PM   #13
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
I currently use a Kindle Dx. Nice big screen, but slow. Good for game rules, journal articles, and short stories. I tend to move articles and journals into another collection as I read them, either "To Log" or "To Cut" depending what I plan to do with the corresponding book in Calibre. Got it used and scuffed up.

I also have a iRiver Story HD. Much smaller screen, faster. Good for novels. I can't move articles or stories as in the Kindle. Got it new.

I also tried an Icarus Illumina. I had a lot of trouble with accidental zooming. I had it break after a few weeks, and couldn't get it repaired, due to customs issues.

All of these have problems with certain pdf and djvu renderings--

I use either Ghostscript with -dCOMPATIBILITYLEVEL=1.4 or Willus's k2pdfopt with -mode copy -dev dx to pre-process pdfs for my Kindle. Many older e-readers will require similar conversion for newer pdfs.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 01:15 AM   #14
DarkWorld

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
$25+$10 shipping for one locked into demo mode
Old 06-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWorld View Post
$25+$10 shipping for one locked into demo mode
Quite a bit of advice about unlocking demo mode ranging from soldering and using a serial terminal to entering ;demo in the search bar.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote