Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 01-07-2024, 05:11 AM   #1
Zillion_
Enthusiast
Zillion_ began at the beginning.

Device: KindleOasis10thGen
Question Request: open original_epub files in Editor

Hello everybody, hello @kovidgoyal and Happy New Year.

I have a request regarding the Calibre Editor: would it be possible to allow it to open ".original_epub" files ? (and same for original_azw3 files).

I regularly want to open my Calibre book backup files, e.g. in order to check if I did something wrong when editing.
Unfortunately the editor won't allow it -- I presume it just looks at the extension -- so every time I have to rename the backup book's extension first, e.g. from ".original_epub" to "original.epub". After which the Calibre Editor will open it fine.
Would it please be possible to just allow the Editor to open the file directly, without renaming ? Thanks.
Zillion_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 06:44 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you want to compare your epub against the original_epub file simply right click theoriginal_epub in the book details panel and choose compare.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 01:25 PM   #3
Zillion_
Enthusiast
Zillion_ began at the beginning.

Device: KindleOasis10thGen
Sorry I didn't explain correctly. All I'm asking is to be able to double-click on an epub backup file in the Windows Explorer to have a quick look in it -- using the Editor. Not the Viewer, and not the "compare" feature. Right now I first have to rename it every time.
Zillion_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 07:03 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The objective of the ORIGINAL_XXXX files is to enable speedy recovery to a starting point in the event that a like-to-like conversion, Polish etc produces a poor result. If editing was allowed it would compromise this objective.

You might be able to create Action chain to copy the .ORIGINAL_EPUB into the book's data folder, rename it to .EPUB and open that with the editor. See ==>> Action Chains plugin.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup, editing, editor, opening book