Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-30-2019, 02:34 AM   #1
Sarahnya
Sarahnya began at the beginning.

Device: 1st kindle white
Wanting to upgrade

Hi guys, I've got the original paperwhite but it's so slow now it's driving me bonkers.

I like the sound of the oasis 3 due to the quicker navigation and warm white back light however I don't like the size and quite a few reviews mention the battery isn't amazing. Also I've read the new waterproof paperwhite has a plastic coating that smudges?

Is there anything smaller with a warm light, waterproof without the smudgy screen, fairly responsive and a reasonable size? Also am I stuck with Kindle because I've purchased a lot of books on it?
Sarahnya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:46 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Kobo Clara HD would suit you, only it's not waterproof. If you decide to go for it, you'll need to remove the DRM from your Kindle books and convert them to the epub format. Visit the Apprentice Alf's blog to learn how to do that. It's not difficult.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2019, 03:53 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
if "original PW" means 1st gen, the current ones are faster, and as fast as the equivalent Kobos
but any e-ink will seem slow if you are used to tablet response times
there was a CPU speed increase at 2nd generation, and later models also have more ppi, more fonts...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon...ond_generation)

before spending any money, consider a factory reset of the current one, in case it has slowed due to software behaviour.
and see here
https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...parison-video/
"..Overall speed is about the same between the two. Page turns are the same speed and sometimes the Kobo is a bit faster to open a menu or the dictionary, and sometimes the Kindle is faster. There’s no real advantage either way."

Last edited by stumped; 12-30-2019 at 03:56 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 03:58 AM   #4
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
A possibility you may want t consider if you can find one is a Kobo Aura H2O2. It's only slightly larger than the Clara, but with a 6.8 inch screen instead of 6, and is waterproof.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 04:27 AM   #5
Sarahnya

Thanks does the Clara Ave the warm light for night reading, that sounds pretty ace
Advert
Old 12-30-2019, 04:30 AM   #6
Sarahnya

The page turns are OK on my reader but the kindle store is so slow it's painful
Old 12-30-2019, 05:05 AM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahnya View Post
The page turns are OK on my reader but the kindle store is so slow it's painful
Shopping for ebooks is not really much better on Kobo or newer Kindles. Sadly an e-ink thing. What I do is use my tablet or smartphone for shopping and then just download on the e-reader.

If you can stand to go a bit bigger, the Kobo Libra H2O is quite nice and has both warm light and water resistance. It's actually a bit lighter compared to PW1-PW3
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:03 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Shop and download on Laptop (Windows, Linux or Mac). Import to and Manage with Calibre (Windows, Linux or Mac). Only EVER transfer via USB to ereader. Then you have backups.
Backup your Calibre and your download folder and any other stuff created on laptop. Cloud or Dropbox IS NOT a backup, those are sharing systems. Don't rely on ebook vendor cloud/library except to download free updates.

I have PW3 and older Kindle. Also two older Kobos. The Kobo Libra gets my vote. The Forma is too much more expensive and though larger, you STILL need a 10" to 14" real tablet for colour or mono magazines, web news and PDFs larger than about A5 paper size. A decent 10" Android tablet is similar to price difference of Libra and Forma here in Ireland.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:52 AM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahnya View Post
Thanks does the Clara Ave the warm light for night reading, that sounds pretty ace
Yes, it does.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:58 PM   #10
HolyAura
Groupie
HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
If you don't mind the lack of waterproofing, you can go a bit cheaper for the Clara HD instead of the Libra H20. Both have the warm light feature. The Libra H20 even has page-turn buttons, and the software of both is relatively fast.
HolyAura is offline   Reply With Quote