Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
M. R. Mathias
Banned
M. R. Mathias has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle k3, PC
Whats a good FREE cover graphics prgm. I need cool fonts!

Hey guys Im a 'Comp-u-tard'. I have been using Gimp2 to make my covers but have fund it lacking in the cool font area. There are some cool fonts out ther on the web, but I don't know how to apply them. Is there a program that I can just open my cover.jpg in and add a cool text title with? Even if there are some that are not free please tell me.....
Old 09-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
shall1028
Nameless Being

Text me this image

Anyone who can install and actually use Gimp2 doesn't fall under the "compu-tard" category.

Sometimes the most uncool and simplest programs can be made to produce acceptable results. I used Mac OSX built-in file viewer Preview to add the text to the cover attached to this message. I suspect Microsoft Photo Editor (if you use a Windows box) can do just the same.

Steven
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	58138  

Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. R. Mathias View Post
There are some cool fonts out ther on the web, but I don't know how to apply them.
You just install the fonts in your operating system, and then Gimp should be able to use them.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
And also make sure you thoroughly think through how those "cool fonts" will look on your cover. Does it show well in a thumbnail size? Does it look professional?
Old 09-13-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Also make sure those fonts have a license for you to use them commercially. Some don't.
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 01:05 AM   #6
M. R. Mathias
Banned

Great help guys. I did this with Gimp2 today but I had to use the logo creater and cut n paste the different font sizes. Its just a free novella, but at least it has a cool cover now.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
good work.
I friend asked me to show her how to use gimp amd I said I lacked the necessary masochism gene required to learn it.
You have far more jam than I have
Old 09-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One thing that is worth noting is that a cover thumbnail is the primary means of selecting a book on a number of reading devices, so it's always worthwhile to make sure that the title and author are clearly readable on even a thumbnail version of your book cover.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One thing that is worth noting is that a cover thumbnail is the primary means of selecting a book on a number of reading devices, so it's always worthwhile to make sure that the title and author are clearly readable on even a thumbnail version of your book cover.
Yes. I'm having problems reading the title on the thumbnail, and that's quite a large thumbnail. The color/size of the font with the weird halo effect can't be read on a thumbnail. I can make out "Dragoneer" when it's this large, but I can't read the rest of it. Final? Fist? First? And if you shrink it down more, I don't know if I'll even be able to read that.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #10
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
I search for free fonts at www.dafont.com. They usually come in a zip file, so just open the zip and double-click the ttf file, then click the Install button at the top. There are a ton of really nice fonts to pick from.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:32 AM   #11
M. R. Mathias
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks... Notice the difference between this version and the one above? Thanks for the Advice.

Thanks K.C. I will use that font site!
Old 09-15-2010, 03:44 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I can read the words "The" and "Dragoneer", but I wouldn't know it said "First" unless you'd told me. It's really not a very clear font at all.
Closed Thread