Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 09-25-2017, 08:08 AM   #1
albertp007
albertp007 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura One
Right-to-left writing direction in epub

Hi all, would anyone know if koreader supports chinese/japanese epub format with writing direction from right to left?

I tried experimenting with modifying epub.css to have

html {
writing-mode: vertical-rl;
-webkit-writing-mode: vertical-rl;
-epub-writing-mode: vertical-rl;
}

and then set rendering style to point to it. But no luck...

Otherwise, if any one can point me to any posts in the past if it's been asked before, it would be very much appreciated as well!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Cheers,
Albert
albertp007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
Hypernova
Hyperreader
Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Current: Boox Leaf2 (broken) Past: H2O, Kindle PW1, DXG;Pocketbook 360
I remembered trying to get the vertical text working in KOReader without success, so I believe nickel is your only choice right now.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 01:25 PM   #3
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
I believe KOReader can only do epub 2. Vertical writing and right to left writing is a feature of epub 3.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:02 PM   #4
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
The last time I tried reading Japanese using Koreader, it took the vertical right to left text and rendered it left to right and horizontal, but sometimes with only a couple of characters to a line. It also couldn't handle the furigana.

So now, I only use Nickel to read Japanese texts.

Chinese texts which are written in a left to right format are handled very well by Koreader. And so I do my Chinese reading with Koreader because it is possible to install a wider range of Chines language dictionaries in Koreader than it is in Nickel.

Hopefully, Koreader will also eventually be able to handle vertical text and furigana. It would be nice to have the freedom to install extra dictionaries like I can for Chinese.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote