Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-29-2015, 08:13 PM   #1
Sideromelane
FYIAD
Sideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Old Paperwhite question from someone afraid of change

Hi forum.

I have a gen 1 paperwhite which still has a clear enough screen and long enough battery life for me not to need to update to a newer model.

Long ago, I installed a jailbreak and the screensaver mod, and a couple other things largely relating to PDF viewers, and kual 2.3.1.

Oh, and the Back Door Lock (still showing Locked status)

My firmware still reads 5.3.6 as it did the day i ran the BDL.

I like my screensavers. I hate the new 'features' of the later firmwares that have really annoyed my gf (we got our kindles at the same time, but she's never modified hers), and i don't trust Amazon.

Can they bypass the old-ass BDL from way back then? Force a silent update without my consent?

If yes, I'll do whatever needs done to resecure my kindle, but if no action required, well, I like things the way they are.
Sideromelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:24 PM   #2
knc1
On Holiday
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideromelane View Post
Hi forum.

I have a gen 1 paperwhite which still has a clear enough screen and long enough battery life for me not to need to update to a newer model.

Long ago, I installed a jailbreak and the screensaver mod, and a couple other things largely relating to PDF viewers, and kual 2.3.1.

Oh, and the Back Door Lock (still showing Locked status)

My firmware still reads 5.3.6 as it did the day i ran the BDL.

I like my screensavers. I hate the new 'features' of the later firmwares that have really annoyed my gf (we got our kindles at the same time, but she's never modified hers), and i don't trust Amazon.

Can they bypass the old-ass BDL from way back then? Force a silent update without my consent?

If yes, I'll do whatever needs done to resecure my kindle, but if no action required, well, I like things the way they are.
Short Answer: No

Longer Answer:
The download and update is performed by the firmware currently installed.
If it has worked this long, it will keep on working.

Suggestion:
Install the most recent Jailbreak from this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030
That is a "just in case" step - there have been a lot of improvements made that helps it survive an unintended update.

O.T:
I have two PW-1 Kindles sitting next to me that I use nearly every day and I am getting ready to add a third one to the pile.
They do their job just fine as far as I am concerned.
(And I also have a PW-3 sitting in the pile - I have to look very close to tell the differences.)

Last edited by knc1; 12-29-2015 at 08:28 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2015, 08:31 PM   #3
Sideromelane
FYIAD
Sideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud ofSideromelane has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for the answer. I'll update the jb tomorrow, hopefully Amazon never do figure out how to bypass BDL!
Sideromelane is offline   Reply With Quote