Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Urban Fantasy Recommendations

Hi, i've been looking for some new urban fantasy to read. I've read all the Dresden Files books, all the Alex Verus books, all the Iron Druid Chronicles books, gave up on the Harry Connolly and Mike Carey Felix Castor books, and am now stuck. I've had a look at Steve Bein, M.L.N. Hanover, Ilona Andrews, Kalayna Price, Ben Macallan, Brian Lumley, Tim Waggoner, Maurice Broaddus, Lee Collins, M.L Brennan, G.T. Almasi, Trent Jamieson, Marcus Pelegrimas and Simon R Green. I've not read any of these yet, and some, like the Kalayna book look to female oriented for me, while I'm not sure about the Ilona Andrews book. Any advice, and any additions?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #2
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I liked the Kim Harrison "Hollows" series. The covers look pretty "romancy" but they contain a pretty solid urban fantasy premise.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Give Patrica Briggs books a look. Mercy Thompson series. Female protagonist, but really good urban fantasy.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #4
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
How about the Bobby Dollar series by Tad Williams. I've only read the first book (The Dirty Streets of Heaven) so far but I enjoyed it and plan only reading the other two when I finish Ancillary Sword.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #5
Valhalla
Zealot
Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I enjoyed Simon R Green's Nightside series and have just started Secret Histories.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Give Patrica Briggs books a look. Mercy Thompson series. Female protagonist, but really good urban fantasy.
Yep, I like her books.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:51 PM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Hi, i've been looking for some new urban fantasy to read. I've read all the Dresden Files books, all the Alex Verus books, all the Iron Druid Chronicles books, gave up on the Harry Connolly and Mike Carey Felix Castor books, and am now stuck. I've had a look at Steve Bein, M.L.N. Hanover, Ilona Andrews, Kalayna Price, Ben Macallan, Brian Lumley, Tim Waggoner, Maurice Broaddus, Lee Collins, M.L Brennan, G.T. Almasi, Trent Jamieson, Marcus Pelegrimas and Simon R Green. I've not read any of these yet, and some, like the Kalayna book look to female oriented for me, while I'm not sure about the Ilona Andrews book. Any advice, and any additions?
The Andrews books (it's actually a husband/wife team, the name is their two first names) is ok, it's got a lot of romance in it, but it's well written. Baen books actually put out a series of Urban Fantasy by Mercedes Lackey that was quite good without the Romancy elements that is so popular now (romancy as in a cross between Urban Fantasy and Romance novels).
Old 10-17-2014, 09:51 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
A bit of an "oldie" (from the 90's) but you might want to check out Tanya Huff's Blood books (Victoria Nelson/Henry Fitzroy series) or her Keeper series.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
A bit of an "oldie" (from the 90's) but you might want to check out Tanya Huff's Blood books (Victoria Nelson/Henry Fitzroy series) or her Keeper series.
Yes, Huff's books are pretty good as well.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:30 PM   #10
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I really liked the Convergent World series by Mark Del Franco. First book is Unshapely Things. I hear great things about Seanan McGuire and Justin Gustainis, too, but haven't gotten around to reading those.

Steve Bein's "Fated Blades" series has been interesting me, but is not yet in my TBR pile.

Some say Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles are on par with Dresden. I think they read more like ... I don't know, comic books or superheroes....I just didn't take to the series. But a lot of folks like it.

A friend of my absolutely loves Rob Thurman's "Cal & Niko" series (aka Cal Leandros), but I found it a bit dark for my tastes.

I personally loved Devon Monk's Allison Beckstrom series. It has a female main character and she's in a relationship, but the main focus of the books is the misuse of magic....I don't think it's "too female oriented". YMMV.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:43 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Just thought of a few more. Wen Spencer's Elfhome books are Urban Fantasyish and quite good. Sharon Lee's Archer's Beach books, the Monster Hunter & Grimnoir Chronicles books by Larry Correia. Not a series, but War for the Oaks by Emma Bull.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:30 AM   #12
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
A few of my favorites :

C. E. Murphy's Walker Papers series

Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassin series

Lilith Saintcrow's Dante Valentine series

Lyn Benedict's Shadows Inquiries series

Jaye Wells' Sabina Kane series

Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series

Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series

Shannon Mayer's Rylee Adamson series

Seanan Maguire's October Daye series

Jenn Bennett's Arcadia Bell series

Kaitlin Kittredge's Black London series

Karen Marie Moning's Fever series

Jess Haines' H&W Investigations series

Stacia Kane's Chess Putnam series

Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampires series

Kylie Chan's Dark Heavens series

Ben Aaronovich's Peter Grant series

Deborah Harkness' Old Souls Trilogy series

Philippa Bornikova's Linnet Ellery series

Allyson James' Stormwalker series

Ann Aguirre's Corine Solomon series

Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series

Karen Chance's Dorina Basarab, Dhampir series, and her Cassandra Palmer series

Charles L. Grant's Black Oak series

Charles de Lint's "Someplace To Be Flying", "Forests of the Heart"

Terri Windling's "The Wood Wife"

Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Series

Kim Harrison's Hollows (aka Rachel Morgan) series

Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series

M.L.N. Hanover's Black Sun's Daughter series

Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series (BUT ONLY BOOKS 1-9 - after that LKH jumps the shark big-time)
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:05 AM   #13
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Just thought of a few more. Wen Spencer's Elfhome books are Urban Fantasyish and quite good. Sharon Lee's Archer's Beach books, the Monster Hunter & Grimnoir Chronicles books by Larry Correia. Not a series, but War for the Oaks by Emma Bull.
War for the Oaks is one of my favorite books.

Correia's Monster Hunters is a very different take on Urban Fantasy. It's a great series. I love his take on Elves.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:54 PM   #14
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Not modern urban fantasy, but glen cook did write a fantasy detective series, that is quite good. He just wrote it at a time, when urban fantasy was not that common.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #15
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post
Not modern urban fantasy, but glen cook did write a fantasy detective series, that is quite good. He just wrote it at a time, when urban fantasy was not that common.
The Garrett PI Series is great. I think of it as Fantasy meets Nero Wolf.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote