Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2016, 02:27 PM   #16
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineStewart View Post
What do you mean the left side is thick? Both sides in mine are the same thickness. She pads them a bit for protection. I've dropped them in the past and they've protected my reader well. I find they are thinner than the commercial ones (and lighter) which I like
I think I phrased that incorrectly. I am referring to the spine. The front and back are the same thickness. When I fold the front cover to the back to read, the spine seems thick. I will probably get used to it or it may relax over time.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:40 PM   #17
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlemom1 View Post
I think I phrased that incorrectly. I am referring to the spine. The front and back are the same thickness. When I fold the front cover to the back to read, the spine seems thick. I will probably get used to it or it may relax over time.
Gotcha. And yes it will relax over time. All my others did from her.
CatherineStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:40 PM   #18
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineStewart View Post
Gotcha. And yes it will relax over time. All my others did from her.
Good to know. I have only used it one night. Mine is not so patiently waiting for my KA1 replacement.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #19
twenty5th_night
twenty5th_night began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
I've had issues in the past with ereaders breaking through a sleepcover, so I decided to get a little creative with the cases. Since the KA1 is now the size of a smallish tablet, I'm going with a silicone wrap for the ereader to prevent the screen from breaking from a fall (https://www.amazon.ca/Tsmine-NuVisio...hockproof+case) and a padded case to prevent it from scratches and falls while in my backpack (https://www.amazon.ca/GreatShield-Qu...%2B(Gray)&th=1).
twenty5th_night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:58 PM   #20
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
To be honest, I'd just use a book-style cover instead of that ugly elastic cover thing

On the other hand, I haven't dropped a device in at least 15 years, except for my mp3-player, which was in one of the side pockets of my jacket, while it shouldn't have been in there. (It should have been in the inner pocket.) It dropped out when I put the jacket on.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:06 PM   #21
twenty5th_night
twenty5th_night began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
To be honest, I'd just use a book-style cover instead of that ugly elastic cover thing

On the other hand, I haven't dropped a device in at least 15 years, except for my mp3-player, which was in one of the side pockets of my jacket, while it shouldn't have been in there. (It should have been in the inner pocket.) It dropped out when I put the jacket on.
I know, it's kind of terrible looking, right? But it's silicone, which means it should bounce when it inevitably hits the ground. My H2O bit the dust in May because it didn't bounce off a corner of the case, it fell front side straight down, and my Aura I accidentally broke with my palm T_T.

I haven't been able to find a book-style cover that I feel will provide enough protection, but am still looking!
twenty5th_night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:55 AM   #22
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
The Oberon Fire HD7 2012 cover fits the KA1. Pricey (especially when Customs gets you ) but gorgeous.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:10 PM   #23
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
This looks nice:

https://smile.amazon.com/Kobo-Aura-O...M5NWV6R14&th=1

Also:

https://smile.amazon.com/Kobo-Aura-O...=kobo+aura+one

Last edited by sparklemotion; 10-02-2016 at 12:12 PM.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #24
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I'm waiting for the second one (but golden)
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #25
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The first one is just the same old cover again, but now sized for the KA1. It even has that dreaded loop and magnets on the right.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:46 PM   #26
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
The first one is just the same old cover again, but now sized for the KA1. It even has that dreaded loop and magnets on the right.
I didn't notice the "dreaded loop", but see it now on the black cover. The red one looks different and doesn't show it, weird. What's the purpose of the loop? One wonders.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:29 PM   #27
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
The Oberon Fire HD7 2012 cover fits the KA1. Pricey (especially when Customs gets you ) but gorgeous.
Thanks for sharing. Oberon covers are indeed gorgeous! I am happy that it fits nicely inside an old Oberon Kindle 2 cover. I have a beautiful red cover with hummingbirds and flowers that I used with my Sony 950. It still looks like new. These covers are great quality. The elastic strap in the upper right corner makes it easy to get to the KA1 power button. The negative is the extra weight.

I also have an Oberon Nook Color cover (the original NC). It is too tight for the KA1. The K2 size is a better fit.

I'm still loving the cover I bought on etsy from eKovers! I also have the Kobo official cover but haven't used it much even though I'm not experiencing the problems with it that some people are. It's just boring compared to my other options. I like pretty colors and patterns.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:52 PM   #28
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Thanks for sharing. Oberon covers are indeed gorgeous! I am happy that it fits nicely inside an old Oberon Kindle 2 cover. I have a beautiful red cover with hummingbirds and flowers that I used with my Sony 950. It still looks like new. These covers are great quality. The elastic strap in the upper right corner makes it easy to get to the KA1 power button. The negative is the extra weight.

I also have an Oberon Nook Color cover (the original NC). It is too tight for the KA1. The K2 size is a better fit.

I'm still loving the cover I bought on etsy from eKovers! I also have the Kobo official cover but haven't used it much even though I'm not experiencing the problems with it that some people are. It's just boring compared to my other options. I like pretty colors and patterns.
You have a veritable cover shop in your house - I should be shopping from you! The Oberon's look gorgeous.
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:27 AM   #29
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I didn't notice the "dreaded loop", but see it now on the black cover. The red one looks different and doesn't show it, weird. What's the purpose of the loop? One wonders.
It's intended to hold a stylus; something no-one ever uses unless it happens to be one of the very rare readers that have a Wacom digitizer which is intended for drawing and note-taking.

I still want a Gecko-like cover (which covers the bezels), so I don't have any visible magnets, flaps, closures, or metal on the outside. The Gecko's don't have a flap on the left to fold over the reader (so they keep the reader in by tension/friction on the bezel coverings, which is not good enough), or I would have pre-ordered one a long time ago.

This is a new cover seller for the KA1. It basically is a folding cover to which you stick your reader using Velcro.

Last edited by Katsunami; 10-03-2016 at 04:32 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:27 AM   #30
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Those Oberon covers are indeed gorgeous. But what Katsunami has with those loops, I have with elastic bands. I'd never ever trust those elastic bands to hold my device. Besides, those things call "cheap!" in my world...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote