Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #11491
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
4. Ruby Keene
Oh, I know this one... I can even remember whodunnit. but which one is it? Oh yes!

The Body in the Library

Spoiler:
Except that the body in the library isn't!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #11492
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Is this Curtain?

No other spoilers, please - I haven't read it yet!

Yes! Means of death?

Quote:
Oh, I know this one... I can even remember whodunnit. but which one is it? Oh yes!

The Body in the Library

Spoiler:
Except that the body in the library isn't!
Right - means of death?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #11493
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes! Means of death?
I don't know, I haven't read it yet!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #11494
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Right - means of death?
The Body in the Library was strangled.
Spoiler:
I think Ruby Keene was also strangled, but I'm not certain.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #11495
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't know, I haven't read it yet!
Oops! Should I put the correct answers in spoiler tags so as not to spoil things for those who haven't read that particular book?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #11496
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
The Body in the Library was strangled.
Spoiler:
I think Ruby Keene was also strangled, but I'm not certain.
Yes - on both counts ....
Old 04-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #11497
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
1. Emily Ingelthorp
Spoiler:
Poisoned. The Mysterious affair at styles

Yes - care to be more specific?

2. Arlena Marshall
3. Linnet Ridgeway Doyle
Spoiler:
Shot. Murder on the Nile

Yes - on both counts!
4. Ruby Keene - The Body in the Library - pdurrant

Spoiler:
strangled
- pdurrant

5. Mr. Ratchett
Spoiler:
Stabbed - several times. Murder on the Orient Express

Yes - on both counts

6. Henry Morley
Mr. Amberiotis
Spoiler:
Stabbed in the throat. Cards on the Table

Wrong on both - hint - different method for each victim.
7. Thomasina Tuckerton
8. Marlene Tucker
9. Rex Fortescue
10. Madame Giselle
11. Hercule Poirot - Curtain - pdurrant
Spoiler:
Natural causes. Old age?

Close, but not quite.

See my comments above - great start!
[Harder than it sounds, right? Who notices a dead body .... or two?]

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 04-02-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #11498
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1. Emily Ingelthorp - The Mysterious Affair at Styles - Iznogood
Spoiler:
Poison. A famous poison. Strychnine, arsenic or cyanide. By "cyanide" I mean all the cyanide acids HCN, KCN etc. That's as specific as I can be. I only have a vague rememberence of the poison

2. Arlena Marshall
I know this one too, but I can't for the life of me remember the book. Is it a Miss Marple story?

Edit:
Spoiler:
Arlena Mashall isn't by any chance the actress that commits suicide in the book where Mrs. Bantry have sold the Something Hall (Gossington Hall?), the same house in which The Body in the Library is found? If so, it was suicide by poison again - sleeping drugs or something

6. Henry Morley
Mr. Amberiotis
Spoiler:
Is this the one at the dentists then?

Spoiler:
Was he shot then? Perhaps between the eyes? One of the deaths in this book is caused by a bullet in the head like a mark of Cain, but I don't remember whether that was Poirot or his victim. It would be very appropriate if it was Poirot though. Suicide by pistol?

Last edited by Iznogood; 04-02-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #11499
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iznogood View Post
Spoiler:
Poison. A famous poison. Strychnine, arsenic or cyanide. By "cyanide" I mean all the cyanide acids HCN, KCN etc. That's as specific as I can be. I only have a vague rememberence of the poison

2. Arlena Marshall
I know this one too, but I can't for the life of me remember the book. Is it a Miss Marple story?

Edit:
Spoiler:
Arlena Mashall isn't by any chance the actress that commits suicide in the book where Mrs. Bantry have sold the Something Hall (Gossington Hall?), the same house in which The Body in the Library is found? If so, it was suicide by poison again - sleeping drugs or something

6. Henry Morley
Mr. Amberiotis
Spoiler:
Is this the one at the dentists then?

Spoiler:
Was he shot then? Perhaps between the eyes? One of the deaths in this book is caused by a bullet in the head like a mark of Cain, but I don't remember whether that was Poirot or his victim. It would be very appropriate if it was Poirot though. Suicide by pistol?
Right about Emily Ingelthorp

Sorry - wrong about Arlena

Right about Mr. Amberiotis

Wrong victim for Hercule
Old 04-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #11500
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Added some hints on the initial post - with updated scores!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #11501
Iznogood
Guru

2. Arlena Marshall - (Poirot) - actress
Spoiler:
Is it the actress that is strangled on the beach in a book called something like "Evil beneath the sun"? I have read them in norwegian, and don't know all the english titles

8. Marlene Tucker - (Ariadne Oliver) - Girl Guide
Spoiler:
Drowned? In a book where there figures a children's party and apples floating in a pond? In Norwegian, this book is called "The Children's Party", but could it be Elephants can remember? I must admit I used this page to try to guess the english title for this one, but could have the wrong english title. If this use of internet is not permissable in this quiz, feel free to ignore this answer
Old 04-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #11502
Iznogood
Guru

10. Madame Giselle (Poirot) - blackmailer
Spoiler:
Is this the book where an entire village receives anonymous poison-letters? Where a lady is found dead over her writing desk? I don't remember the death cause (maybe death by blunt instrument?)
Old 04-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #11503
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
2. Arlena Marshall - (Poirot) - actress
Spoiler:
Is it the actress that is strangled on the beach in a book called something like "Evil beneath the sun"? I have read them in norwegian, and don't know all the english titles

8. Marlene Tucker - (Ariadne Oliver) - Girl Guide
Spoiler:
Drowned? In a book where there figures a children's party and apples floating in a pond? In Norwegian, this book is called "The Children's Party", but could it be Elephants can remember? I must admit I used this page to try to guess the english title for this one, but could have the wrong english title. If this use of internet is not permissable in this quiz, feel free to ignore this answer
Yes for Arlena!

Wrong book for Marlene
Old 04-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #11504
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
10. Madame Giselle (Poirot) - blackmailer
Spoiler:
Is this the book where an entire village receives anonymous poison-letters? Where a lady is found dead over her writing desk? I don't remember the death cause (maybe death by blunt instrument?)
Wrong book.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #11505
poohbear_nc
Now what?

OK - so it seems my quiz question about dead bodies has killed the thread!
[Poetic justice?] I've filled in the answers below in spoiler tags - in case anyone still wants to guess.

Iznogood is clearly the winner - so take it away and give us a new question!
Quote:

Spoiler:
Poison
- Iznogood
Spoiler:
Strychnine
- Iznogood

2. Arlena Marshall - (Poirot) - actress - Evil Under the Sun - Iznogood
Spoiler:
strangled
- Iznogood