Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
[GUI Plugin] Favourites Menu

This plugin allows you to build a customizable toolbar menu containing shortcuts to your other plugins or calibre features.

The primary use case it to prevent filling your main toolbar with too many buttons for those other features, while still making them easily accessible with a single click.

Main Features:
  • Create a customisable menu button with your favourite menu options
  • You can add specific menu actions, submenus or entire plugins to your own menu.
  • Add, remove, reorder and rename the menus with separators
  • Where appropriate menu items are disabled if they are not relevant to the current context - e.g. device not plugged in.

Special Notes:
Paypal Donations:
  • If you find this or any of my other plugins useful please feel free to show your appreciation. I have spent many hundreds of unpaid hours in their development and support so any encouragement for me to continue is appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Favourites Menu.zip (121.1 KB, 591 views)

Last edited by kiwidude; 03-16-2024 at 11:24 PM. Reason: New version
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You left out the download one now and at no extra charge you will get a second copy absolutely free. Just paid shipping & handling and you'll get two incredible plugins for the price of one.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
And it Slices and Dices too.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@JSWolf - actually I did put something in there along those lines (bar the S&H) but I shall leave the shopping channel marketing expertise in your clearly more capable hands.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Is today 1st April in London, are they still using the Julian Calendar?
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@JSWolf - actually I did put something in there along those lines (bar the S&H) but I shall leave the shopping channel marketing expertise in your clearly more capable hands.
Actually, that's the infomercial shopping. The shopping channels charge too much and also charge shipping and handling on just one item nevermind getting a second supposedly free.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Thank You.

This allowed me to remove my Menu bar and clean up my main menu icons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	favorites.jpg
Views:	1687
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	88420  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-27-2012 at 11:56 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:17 AM   #8
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Excellent example Walt, just the sort of thing I hoped people would use it for.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:06 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Excellent example Walt
That's why I posted the image so folks could see a different set of possibilities in full context. Of course to us Yankees the extra u in favorites looks a little strange so I went ahead and changed mine. Hope you don't mind.

Now to seek out a less cheesy icon.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-28-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:09 AM   #10
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Yeah I was well aware that those from spelling impaired countries would notice the name . In fact I did hunt through calibre code at the time to see if there was a translation already existing for that word but I'm afraid not.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:06 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Update: There are no non-cheesy favorite icons, but this one works better for my layout.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	menu.jpg
Views:	1345
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	88428  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-28-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #12
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Very nice, picking icons for my plugins is the hardest part of writing them. If someone out there with decent icons skills wants to volunteer their time to act as icon provider to give all the plugins a consistent look I would be delighted.

Speaking of which, perhaps this might be a time to remind people of a little tip. I'm not sure how dwanthny replaced his icon, but you don't need to go fiddling with the plugin zip file (because if you do, every time you get a new release your icon will be lost).

Instead what you do is navigate to your calibre configuration directory (Preferences -> Miscellaneous). It varies by OS e.g. on XP this will put you in:
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\calibre
Then if you don't have one already (you will have if you use the Generate Cover plugin), create a "resources" subfolder, and inside that create a "images" folder.
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\calibre\resources\images
(Incidentally if you were to put an image of the same name as any of calibre's icons, calibre will use that from here, allowing you to give calibre a different look that survives reinstalling new calibre versions).

Now if you create a subfolder within that images folder for a specific plugin name, you can override any icons for that plugin. In Walt's case above, if we create a "Favourites Menu" subfolder, and put in there an image called "favourites_menu.png" then calibre will use that instead of the one bundled with the plugin. And you can upgrade the plugin while keeping your preferred icons without any future faffing.

QED.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:44 AM   #13
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Auro H2O, PRS-T1
I'm loving this! It makes it real easy to get to the few buttons I want, like viewing specific reading lists or viewing a story. It cuts down on the time it takes me to find those buttons in their regular spot. And when you're on a work break and only have a limited amount of time to get a little light reading in, every second saved counts.

Thanks.
Jade Aislin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #14
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Auro H2O, PRS-T1
Small problem

I currently have two reading lists that I want easy access to. I put the view link for both into the favorites menu. I even tried to put in the view that has you decided between lists. Whenever I change one of my reading lists, the links in the favorites menu no longer work and I have to re-add the links.

I'm hoping there is some way to allow those view links on the favorite menu, even if I change the lists.

Otherwise, I'm still loving it. Makes it real easy to view a book.

I attached a screenshot of my favorite menu to show you what happens when I remove a book from one list.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	prob.jpg
Views:	1163
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	88515  
Jade Aislin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:08 AM   #15
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Hi Jade,

See the Special Notes in my first post of this thread. Basically the plugin cannot handle menu items which change the text that they display.

The only way I could support such menu items from this plugin would be to make special case examples of them in the plugin. I resisted doing that because I wasn't sure there would be anyone who might actually hit this issue by choosing such few items that are like this... Then of course you did