Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
20LEgend
Connoisseur
20LEgend began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
battery life question

Sorry not meaning to hog the forum this morning but I was hoping for feedback from you guys regarding battery life. I bought my mother a kindle 3 and she reads about 5 hours a day. She says the battery needs charging about once a week. Would you say this is good/bad?
20LEgend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
It depends on the amount of page turns. If she is using large fonts I would say charging once a week is normal. make sure she has Wi-Fi off.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
Greg_E
Zealot
Greg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheese

Device: Acer Iconia a500, XP tablet PC
With Wifi or 3G on I would consider this normal, if wifi or 3G is off then you might have a problem.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Sounds about right with Wifi on
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend View Post
Sorry not meaning to hog the forum this morning but I was hoping for feedback from you guys regarding battery life. I bought my mother a kindle 3 and she reads about 5 hours a day. She says the battery needs charging about once a week. Would you say this is good/bad?
If she turns WiFi off it will last much longer. I read about the same on mine but kept WiFi off and got 3 weeks of use before I needed to charge it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Question, is there any relationship with battery life and number of books stored on the unit? I would think not seeing that once in memory power is not required to keep it.

I have never made it past two weeks , more likely only only one week before having to charge again. But also I am a very heavy reader 4-6+ hours per day.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend View Post
...she reads about 5 hours a day. She says the battery needs charging about once a week...
Sounds pretty normal to me.

I'm under the impression that Amazon's stated life is based on roughly 1 hr/day at a normal reading pace. Five hours a day is a lot more than most people will read. Also, if she uses larger than normal fonts she will be changing pages more often per hour than the "average" reader and will see shorter battery life. I do agree that you should confirm that she keeps all wireless turned off except when needed.

The big sources of battery drain in a Kindle are:
  1. Wireless - this is the big #1
  2. Indexing - this is the background indexing for the search engine that the Kindle does every time a new book is loaded. At 5hr/day she's probably burning through more books than average and if she's adding books as she goes along then this will impact battery life on a regular basis.
  3. Page changing - I believe that Amazon predicts a max of about 3000 pages per charge regardless of time.

Last edited by dwig; 11-05-2011 at 05:15 PM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
Question, is there any relationship with battery life and number of books stored on the unit? I would think not seeing that once in memory power is not required to keep it.

I have never made it past two weeks , more likely only only one week before having to charge again. But also I am a very heavy reader 4-6+ hours per day.
I never noticed any but indexing books will drain a battery so I plug mine in if I am going to add a number of books. I get 3 Weeks of use with mine with WiFi off and I read 3 to 5 hours a day till I got my K4 which I now use instead.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
InsulinJunkie72
Enthusiast
InsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
I'm under the impression that Amazon's stated life is based on roughly 1 hr/day at a normal reading pace.
They sort of got sneaky and now usually cite half-hour/day (w/wireless off) to get to 2 months on the Kindle Touch/Kindle Keyboard (1 month on the K4 NT).
InsulinJunkie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsulinJunkie72 View Post
They sort of got sneaky and now usually cite half-hour/day (w/wireless off) to get to 2 months on the Kindle Touch/Kindle Keyboard (1 month on the K4 NT).
I see now way to get a 2 Month battery life out of the K3 or K4. 3 weeks is the norm for me. Maybe if just sits on the shelf with no indexing or no WiFi maybe then...
Old 11-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #11
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I never noticed any but indexing books will drain a battery so I plug mine in if I am going to add a number of books. I get 3 Weeks of use with mine with WiFi off and I read 3 to 5 hours a day till I got my K4 which I now use instead.
Yep , suspected that it was my reading doing it, tho the upgrade to 3.3 firmware did something too help, instead of 4-5 days , now it looks like I may make it 11 or so days between charges.

I am a fast reader, and use the smallest text size on my reader for more words per page. But a 700-900 page book if it is good , 3 days max.

Lot's and Lot's of page turning , forward and back.

DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:39 AM   #12
Deja Moo
Enthusiast
Deja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PaperWhite
Another thing that uses battery: active content, especially games.
Deja Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #13
enkov
Advanced Dunno
enkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7 + Paperwhite 2013
Also - regular using of the dictionary. It eats the power too.

I think for K3 is about 8000 page turns and for K4NT is about 4000-4500 page turns. For K4NT the WiFi is a lot optimised (new chips and firmware) so it will not eat so much power with the WiFi turned On.

I have K4NT - it used 10-12 days do get a half a charge with a 2-3h/day reading - no dictionary use, no indexing (load books once a week). But I own it for a two weeks only. My old Kindle 2 Intl. 3G used to last a month with the 3G off and reading a hour/two per day.
enkov is offline   Reply With Quote