Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle voyage
Picnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay

'In 1900, a class of young women from an exclusive private school go on an excursion to the isolated Hanging Rock, deep in the Australian bush. The excursion ends in tragedy when three girls and a teacher mysteriously vanish after climbing the rock. Only one girl returns, with no memory of what has become of the others...'

Goodreads

Discussion sections are an encouragement to keep those reading on a more similar timeline and perhaps foster more discussion. These are only softly recommended however and not required at all. Anyone can discuss any part or aspect of the selection at any time.

Recommended discussion timeframe starts for approximately 202 pages divided into four quarters-

The first quarter, pages 1-51: immediately

The second quarter, pages 52-101: Monday the 18th of February

The third quarter, pages 102-152: Monday the 25th of February

The fourth quarter, pages 153-202: Monday the 4th of March

This is the MR Literary Club selection for February 2019. Everyone is welcome so feel free to start or join in the conversation at any time; the more the merrier!

Click image for larger version

Name:	penguin-books-picnic-at-hanging-rock-193760982.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	169642Click image for larger version

Name:	picnicathangingrock.png
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	169643Click image for larger version

Name:	9780143569732.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	169641Click image for larger version

Name:	866451.jpg
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	169645Click image for larger version

Name:	1489451080.jpg
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	169644Click image for larger version

Name:	16030644.jpg
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	169639

Last edited by sun surfer; 02-11-2019 at 02:24 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #2
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm very excited to finally read this. Some of you may know but this is one of my all-time favourite films and I've wanted to read the book forever. I have a few various tidbits that may be of interest:

-It's been awhile since I've read this and I'm avoiding reading up on it again until I've read the book, but the gist is that one final chapter was left out of the book. It was later published, so anyone who wants can also read the chapter not part of the actual book, but that's all I'll say for now to avoid any spoilers at this early date in the discussion.

-I was surprised to learn that Lindsay was in her 60s when writing this book and had only written a few books before this. This would place her as being a very young girl around the time of the events.

-I read a book called The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides which I've always thought had a very similar feel to (the film of) Picnic at Hanging Rock. I wouldn't be surprised if Eugenides was inspired by Lindsay.

-There are many adaptations of this book. Of course there's the famous 1970s film. There's the new mini-series starring Natalie Dormer who may also be familiar to some as Margaery Tyrell from Game of Thrones. There are two original (separately written) plays of it and also a musical adaptation.

-I've seen the book's genre described variously as mystery, historical fiction and even Australian gothic.

-Here are some pics of Hanging Rock: 1 2 3 4 5
Advert
Old 02-11-2019, 08:04 PM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
sun surfer, some of those images point to a location in the Blue Mountains of NSW (eg 2 and 5). The location of the book is in the Macedon Ranges of Victoria, see the Wikipedia article. Much less dramatic in appearance but a pleasant place for a picnic - yes, I've picnicked at Hanging Rock. (Actually, I really like it around Macedon, and close to some great wineries.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:38 PM   #4
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Thanks for the info, gmw; it's great to have someone in the thread who's been there and knows the area! It's rather confusing then because when I google image search 'hanging rock' a large amount of the images are of the rock in 2 & 5, including the first result, and both 2 & 5 have 'hanging rock' as part of their url addresses.