Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-03-2019, 07:02 PM   #1
mrpops
mrpops began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Best ereader screen

Greetings all, long time forum lurker but I registered to ask your advice.

I've got a kindle 3 keyboard, of which i've thoroughly modded with the help of all the advice on here, i'm just wondering if its time for an upgrade.

My requirements aren't that tough, as I don't really care about total storage and calibre usually ends up converting anyway so format doesn't matter. (I don't read PDFs / mangas / comics on eink, the tablet is for that. Purely text reading, from fiction / fantasy books.)

The main thing (which i'm struggling with) is to discern which has the best screen (by best, i mean in terms of contrast ratio / how deep the blacks look and such).

I don't mind having no backlight, I might even prefer it (so a recommendation with a mod that allows to to completely turn off the light is a plus).

From reading reviews it seems that the latest kindle offerings PW4, the screens aren't as deep in contrast ratio - with the voyage being better.

I'm leaning slightly towards the voyage but I have no experience with kobo's offerings and online reviews / videos are difficult because they don't showcase all the features that are possible (when all the mods are installed).

Modification / customisation are a big plus for me, as is battery life (i love the kindle 3 keyboard can last a month on a single charge).

Thank you for all advice

Last edited by mrpops; 02-03-2019 at 07:05 PM.
mrpops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:13 PM   #2
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2
I've heard good things about the Nook Glowlight 3 screen, but in all the other respects it seems to be somewhat of a PITA, especially sideloading. I've no personal experience with it, I've only read the posts here on MR.

The Voyage has the best contrast of all the Kindles.

As to Kobos, again no personal experience, but the posters here praised the Kobo Glo HD screen a couple of years back. Unfortunately it's been discontinued, but it might still be available from Ebay etc.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2019, 11:13 PM   #3
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a Nook Glowlight 3 and, while it does have some problems, it's a pretty decent device. And it's screen is superb.

I have 3 new Paperwhites as well as some older Paperwhites and a Voyage. When I put them side by side and compare one of my Paperwhites has a tiny bit less contrast than the other Kindles. It's not a noticeable difference even when comparing. I have to look carefully to see it. When I'm reading they're all perfect.

The Glowlight 3 doesn't have the capacative layer. It has an infra-red touch screen and the capacative layer needed for capacative touch screens does reduce contrast a bit. So the Glowlight 3 has noticeably better contrast than the Kindles.

It also has the problem that the table of contents screens and the dictionary definitions are grayed out, in one of the dumbest design decisions ever. It's very hard to read definitions if you use the dictionary and table of contents are just as bad.

Other than that it's a decent reading device. It doesn't have all the features the Kindles have but it has the features I usually care about and I like it. I still do most of my reading on my Kindles but I use the Nook as well.

If all you care about is screen quality then probably you should look at the Glowlight 3. If you care about the other features we're used to in ereaders I suggest looking at the Paperwhite. It's screen is nearly as good and everything else about it is better.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:51 AM   #4
mrpops
mrpops began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
After reviewing everything, I think i've come to the conclusion to go with a kindle voyage. The hard part now will be getting one with an old enough firmware capable of jailbreaking it.
mrpops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:23 PM   #5
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpops View Post
After reviewing everything, I think i've come to the conclusion to go with a kindle voyage. The hard part now will be getting one with an old enough firmware capable of jailbreaking it.
Some of the new Voyages that turn up for sale on amazon, and maybe woot, were made long enough ago that the firmware is jailbreakable. I know because I got one from amazon a few months ago.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Any of the newer e-readers will have what you want. K3 is only 156 ppi. the New kindles kobos & nooks have 300 ppi. I believe ALL have adjustable lights & weights... You can make the words Dark as you want. Kindle Paperwhite 4 is on sale $99 & trade in you K3 save even more!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #7
maximus83
Groupie
maximus83 shares his or her toysmaximus83 shares his or her toysmaximus83 shares his or her toysmaximus83 shares his or her toysmaximus83 shares his or her toysmaximus83 shares his or her toysmaximus83 shares his or her toysmaximus83 shares his or her toysmaximus83 shares his or her toysmaximus83 shares his or her toysmaximus83 shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Forma, Android, PC
I'm testing both a Kindle Oasis 2, and a Kobo Forma. These screens are gorgeous for e-ink, and screen-wise, I could be totally happy with either of these readers. For that matter, the Kobo Clara HD, which I tried earlier and returned due to a hardware defect, had a nice screen but it was a bit small for my taste.
maximus83 is offline   Reply With Quote