Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 02-02-2019, 05:23 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unfortunately if I use "Open With" and select "Books" as the app I get a message that the book has DRM and cannot be opened. Needless to say, it doesn't have DRM, and if I open it from CC it opens fine - just always at the beginning.

I've decided to return my Fire. It's clearly not the device for me, unfortunately. Thank you for trying to help - it's greatly appreciated.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:06 AM   #17
chaley
CC Android & calibre dev
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've decided to return my Fire. It's clearly not the device for me, unfortunately. Thank you for trying to help - it's greatly appreciated.
If you like the hardware, are brave, and enjoy messing with things you could replace Amazon's Android with a more compatible one. I have considered doing that simply because the Fires are so cheap.

If not the above, what are you thinking of doing? An Android E-Ink? A Kobo? Some other Android tablet? I am interested in your thoughts because it has become time to replace my 4 year old Boox Afterglow. The power connector is giving up.

One problem though: Google recently locked down the play store, making it not run on "non-certified devices". Most e-ink android devices are not certified. However, apparently the Likebook Mars is certified. I am considering giving it at try.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2019, 06:43 AM   #18
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung tab s , fire HDX 8.9, fire hd 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unfortunately if I use "Open With" and select "Books" as the app I get a message that the book has DRM and cannot be opened. Needless to say, it doesn't have DRM, and if I open it from CC it opens fine - just always at the beginning.

probably the right decision. but out of curiosity and for the sake of other future readers - has the original version of that book, with the original DRM, ever been on that device ( maybe traces got left which then confuse ? )

i wonder if a factory reset would have cured it - at least until the next sideload ?

the only great plus feature of the fire tablet is its low price.
and the very good returns policy
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:59 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
probably the right decision. but out of curiosity and for the sake of other future readers - has the original version of that book, with the original DRM, ever been on that device ( maybe traces got left which then confuse ? )

i wonder if a factory reset would have cured it - at least until the next sideload ?

the only great plus feature of the fire tablet is its low price.
and the very good returns policy
No, I never downloaded a book from Amazon onto the device - the only books that were ever on it were sideloaded. I did try a factory reset yesterday, but it made no difference.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:04 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
If not the above, what are you thinking of doing? An Android E-Ink? A Kobo? Some other Android tablet? I am interested in your thoughts because it has become time to replace my 4 year old Boox Afterglow. The power connector is giving up.
Nothing in the immediate future - the Fire was purely an impulse buy, due to its extremely low price. I have a Kindle Oasis for reading fiction, and a 10.5" iPad Pro for tablety things; I just thought it would be nice to have a smaller tablet, too, but I honestly can't say that I need one.
Advert