Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-31-2019, 02:20 PM   #391
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, T1
Perspective of a non club member: I am aware there are book clubs and I occasionally check to see what's being read. If I happen to see it's a book that interests me and is easily available maybe I will join in someday. I'm not likely to participate in the voting process as there are usually books I know I wouldn't read if they won.

As to how to get the attention of potential new participants - I'm guessing the General Forum probably attracts the most viewers. Maybe someone could start a thread there that could be bumped up when there's new activity in the club - just a simple post like "the New Leaf Book Club is now voting on what to read this month" or "the New Leaf Book Club is now reading x___" with a link to the relevant thread in the Book Club forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I go directly to the forums page and check the various forums I like; on the specific pages, I skim the threads and see which ones are bolded, indicating unread posts, and read the ones in which I'm interested.
That is how I use the forums. I never look at the home page. When I first joined mobileread I subscribed to a few threads but the notifications seemed to come a long time after a new post had been made; I found it quicker just to check the forums myself.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:32 PM   #392
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip, jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
My problem is too many candidates! I'm having a hard time winnowing them down to one I want to suggest.
I hope you'll mention the ones you're considering but don't nominate. Unless they're all science fiction, of course.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2019, 06:42 PM   #393
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Perspective of a non club member: I am aware there are book clubs and I occasionally check to see what's being read. If I happen to see it's a book that interests me and is easily available maybe I will join in someday. I'm not likely to participate in the voting process as there are usually books I know I wouldn't read if they won.

As to how to get the attention of potential new participants - I'm guessing the General Forum probably attracts the most viewers. Maybe someone could start a thread there that could be bumped up when there's new activity in the club - just a simple post like "the New Leaf Book Club is now voting on what to read this month" or "the New Leaf Book Club is now reading x___" with a link to the relevant thread in the Book Club forum.
Thanks for this suggestion - maybe a sticky in the Reading Recommendations would work? Issybird can tell us if it would be feasible.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:30 PM   #394
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Well, I'm glad you folks have candidates to offer. It's my theme, and I'm quite undecided.
I have mine. I'm anticipating a rush once the thread goes open.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:40 PM   #395
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip, jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I have mine. I'm anticipating a rush once the thread goes open.
I think I'm going to wait and see what gets nominated.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2019, 08:14 PM   #396
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 10th Gen Paperwhite, Oasis, Voyage, original Paperwhite, Fire HD 8
Quote:
I hope you'll mention the ones you're considering but don't nominate. Unless they're all science fiction, of course.
I do try to, Catlady. And only one of them would qualify as even mildly SFF. I read a lot of mysteries as well as SFF, and I certainly have some favourite series. I'm actively considering re-nominating one I nominated last January but that didn't get traction. But there are so many to choose from.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:26 AM   #397
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I enjoy a lot of mysteries and crime novels too, but there are so many highly generic ones that it's easy to exclude a lot of them: fun to read but easy to forget. I have read some good SciFi ones lately, but don't worry Catlady, I'm not tempted to nominate those (they were entertaining but not so much that I want to talk about them).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:30 AM   #398
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The March nomination thread is up.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:55 PM   #399
Victoria
Evangelist
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle pW 3, iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I wonder how many navigate from (or even look at) the front page? As it is, I put the nomination thread on the front page and polls always appear on the front page by default. I suspect we all have blinders to an extent about the methods others use to read the forum.
I always start at the front page, and then cycle through the forums, via it’s main menu. It’s surprising to hear how few people go there. I’m not a newbie, but stll have a fairly limited understanding of the MR customization options. My guess would be that at least any interested newcomers would check out the front page, and see the New Leaf updates there - I always have.
Victoria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:30 PM   #400
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I always start at the front page, and then cycle through the forums, via it’s main menu. It’s surprising to hear how few people go there. I’m not a newbie, but stll have a fairly limited understanding of the MR customization options. My guess would be that at least any interested newcomers would check out the front page, and see the New Leaf updates there - I always have.
That's good to know. I'll keep adding the nomination thread to the front page in addition to linking to it from this thread, to catch as many eyes as possible.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #401
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I can't have been the only one to notice that most of the votes in the last poll happened in the first day. As a result, I thought perhaps we could cut the duration of the poll to three days from four. It would still be more than enough time for people to vote as they will, but it would have the advantage of tightening things up a bit; in other words, the outcome would be the same but we'd know sooner.

Thoughts, reactions?
Old 02-12-2019, 05:09 PM   #402
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I think this would be good. It seemed to drag on for at least a day too long.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:21 PM   #403
Dazrin
Hey! Who took my cookie?!
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW2, various Android devices
No arguments here. It just means I need to get off my duff and check availability sooner.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:34 PM   #404
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 10th Gen Paperwhite, Oasis, Voyage, original Paperwhite, Fire HD 8
Agreed here. For the last several votes, the vast majority of the votes have happened in the first day or two. And while there's usually at least one vote right before the end, I think that would be true regardless of how long the voting period is.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #405
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I think this would be good. It seemed to drag on for at least a day too long.
It was hard to maintain a keen interest when nothing was changing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
No arguments here. It just means I need to get off my duff and check availability sooner.
Unless there's a rush of comments in opposition, why don't we assume it's a go for our next poll. You can update the Guidelines at your leisure, if you'd be so kind!