Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 02-07-2019, 01:25 PM   #241
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lems1995 View Post
I bought Likebook Note last year, july exactly, so i see Mimas also has a lot issues as Note. Not quad core, nor 2 Go ram solved anytthing. Sofware is badly designed as usual!!
That's my complaint about these devices.
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:43 PM   #242
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by foro.carlos View Post
Just a quick advice regarding privacy and battery life. I wouldn't go with the Google Services. They are convenient for sure but with Fdroid and some APKs from legit sources i'm served and happy.
That way Google won't sneak into my device and the battery life will last as is intended in a EReader device (meaning.. a lot).
I agree with you. I prefer not to have any Google Services on my enote device, and I think it helps the battery life a lot.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:31 PM   #243
Igivigi
Igivigi began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue Likebook Mimas
Hi, I have a question regarding pdf files reading. I can't open many of my files that are readable by all my other devices. The message is File is corrupted... Have any of you experienced similar problem? Thanks
Igivigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:10 AM   #244
thordk
thordk began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura one
Quote:
Originally Posted by thordk View Post
Got my mimas today and so far im very happy.
A quick question regarding the update of the firmware.
Every time i try to update via wifi i get a network error but all else work fine like google store etc.
Could the error be that i allready have the newest firmware or has anyone else had this problem and might have a solution ?
Regards
Seems the update error is on Mars devices too. Could be they disabled the update servers during the new year in China
thordk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:39 AM   #245
foro.carlos
foro.carlos doesn't litterforo.carlos doesn't litter

Device: likebook mimas
I just receive a response from the ereader shop in china and they told me that they are working in the palm rejection feature and improve the PDF experience for the next version.
Unfortunatelly they can't implement the "slideshow" wallpaper ATM but they would take it into consideration for future versions.

Very nice people and very comunicative

Apart from that they asked me to send them any suggestion to improve the firmware .

I just send them a wishlist ...

""
- Better battery management "The spell checker service is Constanly consuming 3% of CPU reducing the battery life. I disabled it and it improved (AOSP stuff...)

- Make the NOTES and PDF standalone apps (like the gallery the Eshop or the file manager) . This way they can be launched from other apps and integrated in workflows.

- Make the option to transform Automatically a Note into a wallpaper to leave notes.

- Since it has white color pencil for notes, make posible to turn a note background to black to make it look like a blackboard.

-Frontlight timer. (like auto wifi off timer or auto sleep timer) That way you can leave the NOTES app open without worriying about battery life.

- Implement a Chalkboard MODE or SLATE MODE. Let me explain:
A mode to put the NOTES as WALLPAPER in order to let the user to leave notes and leave them easily.
Now , since the screen battery consumption is nothing you can change the energy settings to "never lock" never sleep" and open the NOTES app and write and leave notes on it . It's like real paper! I've trying it for a week and the Battery consumption is almost negligible and it's very elegant.
The problem is that now you have to turn off the frontlight manually and probably it would be better to close everything else automatically in this mode.

- Better case, it doesn't fit very well (at least in my case.. "no pun intended") and it bended a little in just a week (( I think a textile or PU leather portfolio would be better. )
""
foro.carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:54 AM   #246
suninmypocket
suninmypocket began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 302
Thumbs up Good ideas!

This would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foro.carlos View Post
I just receive a response from the ereader shop in china and they told me that they are working in the palm rejection feature and improve the PDF experience for the next version.
Unfortunatelly they can't implement the "slideshow" wallpaper ATM but they would take it into consideration for future versions.

Very nice people and very comunicative

Apart from that they asked me to send them any suggestion to improve the firmware .

I just send them a wishlist ...

""
- Better battery management "The spell checker service is Constanly consuming 3% of CPU reducing the battery life. I disabled it and it improved (AOSP stuff...)

- Make the NOTES and PDF standalone apps (like the gallery the Eshop or the file manager) . This way they can be launched from other apps and integrated in workflows.

- Make the option to transform Automatically a Note into a wallpaper to leave notes.

- Since it has white color pencil for notes, make posible to turn a note background to black to make it look like a blackboard.

-Frontlight timer. (like auto wifi off timer or auto sleep timer) That way you can leave the NOTES app open without worriying about battery life.

- Implement a Chalkboard MODE or SLATE MODE. Let me explain:
A mode to put the NOTES as WALLPAPER in order to let the user to leave notes and leave them easily.
Now , since the screen battery consumption is nothing you can change the energy settings to "never lock" never sleep" and open the NOTES app and write and leave notes on it . It's like real paper! I've trying it for a week and the Battery consumption is almost negligible and it's very elegant.
The problem is that now you have to turn off the frontlight manually and probably it would be better to close everything else automatically in this mode.

- Better case, it doesn't fit very well (at least in my case.. "no pun intended") and it bended a little in just a week (( I think a textile or PU leather portfolio would be better. )
""
suninmypocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:49 AM   #247
jotogago
jotogago began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook mimas
Hi, I just bought a likebook mimas. Using the device I realized that the intensity of the light is not the same across the entire screen. The light at the top of the screen is more intense than at the bottom. I thought that maybe it is a mistake in my device or maybe being the first 10.3 ereader with glowlight may have its errors. Does anyone have the same problem?
jotogago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:46 AM   #248
mrpotts
Connoisseur
mrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Digital Paper, Amazon Paperwhite
Question:
PDF reader and annotator, What have you used and what is the easiest to annotate quickly highlight and write test)?

So far I've used:
Boyue OS
Repligo reader
Xodo docs
PDF Viewer
Foxit PDF

They all suck on the Mimas. Either there are to many steps required before I can start highlighting or the app won't let me annotate off the external SD card. My goto app, since the beginning of Android, has been Repligo Reader, very easy and quick to use. Not the same on the Mimas. Too many steps is a pain because I haven't found an app where I can 'lock in' the highlighter tool. Which means whenever I turn a page, write text, move around, etc., I need to repeat all the steps to get back to highlighting, a pain.
Am I missing something basic in these apps?
Anybody find a successful solution when editing many PDFs at once?
Thanks,
Phil
mrpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:21 AM   #249
mrpotts
Connoisseur
mrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-books

Hi,

I've (re)read through this thread and noticed the PDF-related posts from Jask, Foro.Carlos, & Siggy1000 (pgs 12, 13, 14, 17). Thanks for the feedback I've installed Squid and will check it out.

Out of curiousity, has anyone installed a different launcher? I use Nova on my phone (OnePlus 5T) and just installed the Microsoft launcher on the Mimas, just to see how it works.

Phil
Old 02-11-2019, 09:55 AM   #250
foro.carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpotts View Post
Hi,

Out of curiousity, has anyone installed a different launcher? I use Nova on my phone (OnePlus 5T) and just installed the Microsoft launcher on the Mimas, just to see how it works.

Phil
I use RelauchX as my primary launcher (you can grab it from FDROID app store) with some of the onscreen buttons configured as shortcut for BoyueOS to take notes and configure the "Per APP" screen tweaks of Boyue.

The only thing I miss from Relaunch is some app shortcuts in the main screen and Books and COmics previews. but ALREADER and PV (Perfect Viewer) can work as book and comic library manager and default the library mode as Start Page.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #251
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
It's been a week since my last charge, and I am charging my Mimas today, with an estimated 4 more days left. I am satisfied with how long the battery is lasting between charges. I use it quite a lot and always have the light on - somewhere around mid-level or a little higher. I don't think I have had Wifi on at all though.

Anyway... while I am charging the Mimas, I thought I would take the time to add a few books. I expected to see folders and my individual book titles in the "Books" folder in the root folder... the "Books" folder is there, but it is completely empty! I don't understand why that is. Where are all of my books, including the books I was just reading when I plugged the device in for charging and file transfer? They are on the device. Does the Boyue software hide them somewhere? I am flummoxed.

I'm quoting myself below because I originally had my books organized in folders and subfolders in the "Books" root folder... but the Boyue software was messing up that organization when I tapped on the 'Books' tab at the top of the screen... so I later changed the names of all of those folders I made by adding 'Fiction' or 'Nonfiction' to the name of the subfolders. (I did that renaming on the device itself rather than when it was plugged in to my computer.)

I expected to see all of those subfolders now and to be able to transfer some additional books into the appropriate subfolder. Instead there are no folders and no books in the "Books" root folder!

Here are my two previous posts on the subject, in case it helps:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
Under the 'Books' tab there are a couple pages worth of folders - but they are a totally random mix of my folders and subfolders. So on the first page there might be the following folders/subfolders: "Mystery" then "Cooking & Recipes" next to "Science Fiction" next to "Biographies" next to "Humor" next to "Classics" next to "Technical Guides" next to "Romance" next to "General Fiction" next to "Politics" etc... With the higher up folders of "Fiction" and "NonFiction" randomly included in the mix.

And I think the order of these folders keeps changing depending upon which books I open.

I prefer to just press on the Books tab and see my top folders - "Fiction" and NonFiction" - choose which of those I want, and then then see my subfolder categories that I have organized under Fiction or Nonfiction.

That is how it works in my Boyue T62+ when I press 'Books' on the home screen..
Quote:
I ended up changing the folder names by adding 'Fiction - " to the start of all the folders with fiction books, and "Nonfiction - " at the start of all the folders containing nonfiction, and had to get rid of all subfolders.

Then after sorting By Name and a reboot, I have one page with folders for Fiction genres and one page of the bookshelf with folders containing Nonfiction genre folders.

I can live with that.
Can anyone help me understand what the heck is going on? What am I missing? (Other than my books?)
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:04 AM   #252
mrpotts
Connoisseur

Quote:
Can anyone help me understand what the heck is going on? What am I missing? (Other than my books?)
Sorry, I can't help. I store all my literature on the external microSD card.
I sideloaded the Google Play store and Xplore for file exploring, which let's me see where everything is located.

Phil
Old 02-12-2019, 04:13 AM   #253
mrpotts
Connoisseur

PDF's.

I'm not happy with using PDF's on the Mimas so far. I'm coming from the original Sony DPT-S1 and maybe that isn't a fair comparison, but it was excellent reading and annotating PDf's. So far, I haven't found anyway to replicate the ease and usefulness of working on PDF's on the Mimas.
I'd sure love some ideas on this.
Any thoughts?
Phil
Old 02-12-2019, 08:10 AM   #254
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
Quote:
I'm not happy with using PDF's on the Mimas so far. [...]Any thoughts?
The first e-ink device producer that understands that just tossing cheap hardware on the market is not enough to build up a stable market, but instead invests in building excellent and versatile software, will be on the winning end of the competition.

But unlike building and distributing hardware, creating high quality software is prohibitively expensive in comparison.

So if as a consumer you are stuck with excellent hardware but mediocre software, and if the latter is not available as source code in order to enable qualified customers to enhance it, there is not much hope left for a good product any time soon.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #255
foro.carlos

Quote:
PDF's.

I'm not happy with using PDF's on the Mimas so far. I'm coming from the original Sony DPT-S1 and maybe that isn't a fair comparison, but it was excellent reading and annotating PDf's. So far, I haven't found anyway to replicate the ease and usefulness of working on PDF's on the Mimas.
I'd sure love some ideas on this.
Any thoughts?
Phil
Acording to Boyue support, the PDF software is going to improve after the Chinese new year in March.
Palm rejection, better PDF export and notetaking .

let's see what happens then.

The best solution would be to extend support for the e-ink screen to other apps. Currently they all behave like a common screen (expecting high frequenzy refresh) and the note taking experience is shitty at best.