Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #451
kaduncan
That guy over there
kaduncan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well, i got my reader after waiting only a short time. Ordered through Walgreens, within minutes, got a receipt and tracking number. Within 3 days it was in shipping and was delivered in 5 after that.

Opened and it was fully charged. I have not tried to update anything on it, just using it straight out of the box.
After playing around with the default features, i started converting a bunch of ebooks i have in pdf format into txt files. I have a couple of hundred books in this format so file type doesn't really bother me.
Transfered about a dozen books to the reader and I like the way it allows me to make folders to sort the books in. Opened a few books to look and yes, ther formating is gone but heck, I am reading a book, not watching a movie or a magazine. Books are text. No bold or italitics but I have found that once I start reading, I never notice these things.
Took it home and when I went to bed, grabbed it, turned it to lowest light setting, reversed the color to black background, so not to disturb the wife and read for about an hour. Page turning was fine, it never crashed and it saved the page number without having to bookmark it. Been reading for several days now and same result... No problems.
Simply put, I have been looking to for a replacement for my old Rocketbook and my old Audiovox PDA, that has a low level backlight for nighttime reading only. Most of the books I read come in the multi-format that I can convert so, for $99 I now have a new friend.

On a side note, I just got the new iPad yesterday and WOW, love it!!! Magazines and newspapers, movies and tv shows, etc etc. This does not sit on my nightstand but is going everywhere with me. Too bad, no flash :-)
kaduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #452
Marlonsarmiento
Marlonsarmiento began at the beginning.

I installed the 3/29 update, minor changes as someone mentioned. I just installed the third update from 4/1 but I can't see the difference. anyone?
Marlonsarmiento is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #453
Ebookinator
Ebookinator began at the beginning.

Device: Delstar Open Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlonsarmiento View Post
I installed the 3/29 update, minor changes as someone mentioned. I just installed the third update from 4/1 but I can't see the difference. anyone?
What do you think is still missing or not working right? The only thing I don't have that is stated in the manual is the set font color option. Everything else seems to be there and working properly.
Ebookinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:34 PM   #454
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I keep trying to run the update but I get all the way to the Rockchip box and the boxes at the bottom are ghosted out and there's a message that says device not found. Has anybody else seen this? What am I doing wrong?
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #455
Marlonsarmiento

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebookinator View Post
What do you think is still missing or not working right? The only thing I don't have that is stated in the manual is the set font color option. Everything else seems to be there and working properly.
text Formatting
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 01:43 AM   #456
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
I just got one of these on ebay for $45. I have no idea why it was not returned to Wallgreens or why they were selling it so cheap in a "buy it now" auction, but they probably figured they had a piece of junk and would pass it on to someone else. Right out of the box the Delstar is buggier than a flea circus, but once I downloaded the update it seems to have fixed almost everything that was wrong with it. I really don't have a problem with the formatting (or lack thereof), I can understand why some people are annoyed with it but it's a non issue for me. I'm actually pretty happy with the reader. I would have paid a hundred bucks for it, but $45 is better!
I would buy it for $45 to compare it with my jetBook-Lite (on sale now for $99.99)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79878
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #457
Ebookinator
Ebookinator began at the beginning.

Device: Delstar Open Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
I keep trying to run the update but I get all the way to the Rockchip box and the boxes at the bottom are ghosted out and there's a message that says device not found. Has anybody else seen this? What am I doing wrong?
I didn't have a problem with the update. Is the reader not connecting with your computer or is the rock chip tool just not recognizing it? Also, make sure that you don't connect the reader until after you've opened the rock chip tool.
Ebookinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #458
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
Quote:
I didn't have a problem with the update. Is the reader not connecting with your computer or is the rock chip tool just not recognizing it? Also, make sure that you don't connect the reader until after you've opened the rock chip tool.
The way I got mine to reconnect was uninstall the software then reinstall it while the reader was plugged into the usb port.
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #459
Marlonsarmiento

Make sure you are using a 32 bit version of windows.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:58 PM   #460
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Thanks everyone. I'll take all this in and try again.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #461
Logrus9
Logrus9 began at the beginning.

Device: Delstar
Well, I've tried everything mentioned and I still can't get the updater to recognize the unit. Windows has no problem seeing it. I guess I'll try to return it, but it's a day over the limit.

It's too bad, it would have been a nice unit.
Logrus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #462
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
A guy is selling his Openbook on Ebay. When I sent him a message advising him to let potential buys know it show everything in text format, he replied back saying the latest firmware fixed it. Is that true? I don;t ink it is but want to double check.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #463
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
A guy is selling his Openbook on Ebay. When I sent him a message advising him to let potential buys know it show everything in text format, he replied back saying the latest firmware fixed it. Is that true? I don;t ink it is but want to double check.
this could easily be a misunderstand. It does not convert to text format and ebooks can be in other formats. He may have interpreted this question as that it didn't support reading in other formats. However, I suspect it is still true that it doesn't honor CSS and other formatting contained in the file.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #464
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
this could easily be a misunderstand. It does not convert to text format and ebooks can be in other formats. He may have interpreted this question as that it didn't support reading in other formats. However, I suspect it is still true that it doesn't honor CSS and other formatting contained in the file.

Dale
Well, his reply to me is that " they said it was fixed". Someone is going to win it and I sure hope they don't mind plain text.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:19 AM   #465
Nightbreed813
Nightbreed813 began at the beginning.

Device: Openbook
The latest firmware fixed many bugs with the device the only feature i would really like to see is book marking in pdf format. Every other format still is plain text but pdf is very usable at this point now. The newest update changed the wording in some of the menus and sped up the processing of books. Does anyone know what video formats are supported? I have tested avi, mpg, and wmv and they all work i was just wondering if their were anymore don't really have to many videos to test it.

Oh yeah the update software doesn't work on windows 7 32 or 64 just to let you know, and it sucks making it run in English but it can be done.

Last edited by Nightbreed813; 04-13-2010 at 05:48 AM.
Nightbreed813 is offline   Reply With Quote