Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-14-2006, 08:36 AM   #1
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
iliad feature list timeline and whats in the box

Info stolen from http://www.irexshop.com via ye olde copy an paste trick.

CONTENTS OF THE BOX:

* 1 iLiad e-reader
* 1 Stylus
* 1 charger
* 1 travel hub
* 1 USB Cable (B)

June:
Ordering and shipment of iLiad

July/August features

Hotspot support
Apabi format (in Asia only)
"Re-open" a file on last read page
Support for an E-Book DRM format (to be announced soon)
Page-break support in HTML (instead of scrolling)

August/September/October features

Dictionary support*
Annotation on PDF/TXT/HTML/Apabi*
File management on the iLiad
MP3 playing
Search (for or in) documents*
Bookmarks in documents*

Page turning speed improvement

*Improvement of functionality related to file formats might be limited to what formats allow
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:09 AM   #2
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2

Those are two features that shoudl have been onboard from Day1...putting them on a "features to come" list is just...whacky...sorry!

every puny PocketPC can do this, a dedicated ebook reader should have this as basic feature...well can't be helped I guess...I hope Jinke is better at doing their homework.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2006, 09:35 AM   #3
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
I hope Jinke is better at doing their homework.
Jinke works with bookmarks, remembers last page of a book (if you quit to book catalog for example, or open one more book).
You can read Html and txt as msword document - separate pages, quantity depends of font size (normal or zoomed).
When I read a book, usually I don't use bookmarks if I want to have a break. Just put it out for an hour or a day or a week - and read from the same page... It even has no switch off/on button.

Last edited by TaKir; 06-14-2006 at 09:39 AM.
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:55 AM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR

Those are two features that shoudl have been onboard from Day1...putting them on a "features to come" list is just...whacky...sorry!

every puny PocketPC can do this, a dedicated ebook reader should have this as basic feature...well can't be helped I guess...I hope Jinke is better at doing their homework.
Well, they know that aswell, thats why they dont sell the device to the public until all the needed features are implemented.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:12 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
They could have chosen another direction and released the sources of the OS to the public. Even better, they could have supported an open development similar to how Nokia does it with the Maemo development environment for the Nokia 770. The benefits: faster development, much better support.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2006, 12:28 PM   #6
oliverbogler
Connoisseur
oliverbogler has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad
Question cover?

At the risk of asking something that has already been answered... is there some kind of cover included with the Iliad? I saw the Sony Reader on the DLTV (see thread ) and it had a built in one. I realize the Iliad doesn't have that, but does it come with a bag/sleeve? Does it need one? Any ideas?
oliverbogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:31 PM   #7
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
They could have chosen another direction and released the sources of the OS to the public. Even better, they could have supported an open development similar to how Nokia does it with the Maemo development environment for the Nokia 770. The benefits: faster development, much better support.
oh, if it is really a Linux OS, I am sure we will see the sources. Otherwise it would be a breach of the License by which the Linux kernel (and several programs and libraries) is covered (GPLv2).
I don't want to say the GPL is the perfect license (cause i dont have the reputation to do that) for software developement, but if you use and adapt a GPL program to your needs, the GPL forces you to publish your modified source, if you didn't do it for internal use only.

And i don't think it would do damage to Irex. Look at the famous Linksys WRT54G wlan-router series. I bet Linksys is better of now, then it was before they were forced to publish the modified kernel sources.

And Irex or publishers of DRM-enabled readers don't need to publish the sources for their own libraries and programs, as long as they are not developed from a OpenSource component covered by a license which would force them to do that.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:07 PM   #8
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverbogler
I realize the Iliad doesn't have that, but does it come with a bag/sleeve? Does it need one? Any ideas?
No, it doesnt. Dont know if it needs one. Irex said, they leave the bag/sleeve issue to 3rd parties.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote