Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-12-2008, 05:46 PM   #106
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
So, when you use the word "spatula", is that a thing that will flip pancakes, or a rubber thing that will scrape the bowl of chocolate cake batter?

But anyway --- do you have any interest in taking a train out to the western burbs? On a weekend, I could pick you up at the train station (we'd have to brandish a liseuse, to recognize each other) and give you a tour of the world's still biggest operating partical accelerator (http://www.fnal.gov) . We have buffalo and prairie grasses/flowers on site too, if that interests you more than the electronics.

And then a visit to what *I* consider the best pizza around - Pal Joey's in West Chicago. I believe Cthulhu has said he knows their pizza.

Or, to the local restaurant here that serves buffalo burgers, and other sorts of strange meats, if that appeals to you more. (Um, I order the ordinary burger, thank you very much.)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:51 PM   #107
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Deb,

I definitely want the CERN tour, but not for awhile. Too much to do in the city. For the official meet-up, let's stick with the Borders near Water Tower. Like I said, I have no deadline. I know the holidays are coming up, we can do something when everyone is downtown Christmas shopping anyway, for example.

November 22nd is some sort of a parade, lights, something going on: Magnificent Mile Lights Festival.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2008, 05:53 PM   #108
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, actually, this is the Fermilab tour. CERN is the enemy {holds fingers in front of self in some sort of warding-away-evil symbol}. But, I get your drift. Yeah, I think there are festivities and also lots of window dressing for the holidays.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:12 PM   #109
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I knew that. CERN by association. Sorry!
Old 11-12-2008, 06:17 PM   #110
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
we can do something when everyone is downtown Christmas shopping anyway, for example.
No need to do shopping downtown when I have the largest mall in the U.S. (retail space) 10 minutes from my house.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #111
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Well, actually, this is the Fermilab tour. CERN is the enemy {holds fingers in front of self in some sort of warding-away-evil symbol}.
Meanwhile, at CERN they complain that you keep sending them broken magnets. Perhaps you could make some to ornament Taylor's fridge? If they fall off, it's not quite so dangerous.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:37 PM   #112
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Meanwhile, at CERN they complain that you keep sending them broken magnets. Perhaps you could make some to ornament Taylor's fridge? If they fall off, it's not quite so dangerous.
Oh, but it WOULD be quite dangerous. They weigh at least 2 tons each (or maybe it's more) .... If they fell off, the people on the *ground* floor would probably have to worry! I don't know how high up his apartment is, but it would probably fall through all those floors, all the way down TO the ground floor.

@grooks: That mall is where I went last weekend, to get my hands on the latest macbook. I fondled it, then went home and dreamed some more about it ......
Old 11-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #113
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
@grooks: That mall is where I went last weekend, to get my hands on the latest macbook. I fondled it, then went home and dreamed some more about it ......
So when are you buying it?
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #114
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Last night! Should arrive Friday, I think.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:44 PM   #115
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Oooh good stuff!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #116
dcbcreative
Window shopper...
dcbcreative doesn't litterdcbcreative doesn't litter

Device: Interested in the iRex Digital Reader
You know... ...One doesn't have to be a deranged genius to love super science, but it helps.

Can I get a ticket to tour the world's biggest operational particle accelerator, I promise only to hug it and not in any way attempt to bring it home with me. Though if you have an extra one, I hear they make excellent holiday gifts.

The spatula stuffed stockings were all hung up with care as the tree lined particle accelerator put a warm hum in the air.

I'm not so sure if choosing the 22nd of November is such a good idea for a meet up, particularly if its going to be at the Boarders on Michigan avenue. With the cities festival of lights parade taking place that evening to kick off the official start of the local shopping season its going to be madness in that part of town. This isn't so much a deterrent for me because as a resident I'm used to the madness but I suspect this will not make the experience very pleasurable for those driving in from the suburbs or further.

Then again I could be wrong. Still its something to consider.

Another thing or two or three to consider:

The Chicago Speculative Fiction Community
http://www.chicago-sf.org/

The Neo Futurists (Too Much Light Makes The Baby Go Blind)
http://www.neofuturists.org/

Myopic Books
http://myopicbookstore.com/

I have gotten the impression that you not only have an interested in science fiction, or at very least the late great Douglas Adams but you also harbor a sophisticatedly twisted sense of humor. If so, todays suggested local points of interests should have some appeal.
dcbcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:20 PM   #117
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

All duly bookmarked. Thank you very much! The Neo Futurists is definitely on the list, probably Sunday this weekend, barring anything more pleasant happening. Oh, and the Nov 19th Chicago Non-Fiction meetup.com meetup. Why not? I haven't read the book, but that never deterred me in school.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 11-14-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #118
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Well, actually, this is the Fermilab tour. CERN is the enemy {holds fingers in front of self in some sort of warding-away-evil symbol}. But, I get your drift. Yeah, I think there are festivities and also lots of window dressing for the holidays.
If only Congress hadn't cut the funding for our big hole in the ground....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:13 PM   #119
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Oh! I wish I had thought of this earlier (though, if you are broke, it may not matter). There is an SF convention starting today, going through Sunday. Nov 14-16. Just to the west of the city limits -- probably are trains going nearby.

http://www.windycon.org/

Most of the links are on the verrrry bottom bar.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:32 PM   #120
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
I know of no "Pal Joey."

He is not known in R'Lyeh.

There is the One Pizza. There is Lou's. They are the keepers of sauce & sausage.

Schaumburg scares the heck out of me.
Had to leave IKEA and go directly to a bar to calm my nerves.

Do all the stores still do the window displays that tell stories in series?

A spatula is a rubber device to scrape batter.
That other thing is a flipper.

Last edited by Cthulhu; 11-14-2008 at 06:34 PM. Reason: There can be only one
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10-w-40, blue one next to the fish, can you spare a dime?, chicago, chicagoerrrrr, destitute, he's so pitiful, lonely android, meet-up, meetup, spare change, subverting the system, wd40