Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #76
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Yes, I meant the Arc, except for the plugin support; neither the Vox nor the Arc are tested.

You wouldn't need the extended driver plugin, that explicitly does not support the Arc or Vox. And the directions I've provided are only applicable to the devices supported by the extended driver: Touch, Mini, Glo, Aura HD, and Aura. I don't have an Arc or a Vox to test with, and I have no interest in purchasing either, so if you get it working feel free to contribute directions for either or both device
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #77
pusher
pusher began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hi jgoguen, I am a new Aura HD user and just registered with MobileRead.

Thank you very much for this awesome plugin which solves one of the problems I have with my technical epubs with lots of images where I couldn't zoom in. After converting them to kepub, it's working great!
pusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #78
MrFido
MrFido began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Arc 7, Kobo Vox
The plot thickens! I purchased 2 Kobo Arcs for Christmas. One is a Kobo Arc 7 and the other one is a Kobo Arc 7HD. On the Kobo Arc 7HD, I don't seem to have Reading Life (which is really what I'm after), and the Kobo app seems to be integrated into the Kobo (it's not in my list of applications). On the Kobo Arc 7, everything looks fine, I have Reading Life and the Kobo app is listed in my applications (this is what I'm used to). The appearance of the e-reader is what I'm used to, as well.

I've checked on both and I have the same version of the Kobo e-reader.

I must have spent 15 hours trying to figure this out and I just can't. I'll have to accept that this is how it is. If you have a Kobo Arc 7HD, you just can't have Reading Llife (with the same exact Kobo application!).

Yes, I tried to uninstall the Kobo app on the Kobo Arc 7HD, and I reinstalled it, but to no avail.

I give up.

Thank you again for your time. I just thought I'd provide an update before I moved on to another project.
MrFido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:33 AM   #79
digital punk
digital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of lightdigital punk is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo + kindle
thanks for the plugin and all the related info. is there any quick way to remove the indent of the first chapter/section? I notice BobC was apparently able to do it using some code ie h2+p {text-indent: 0;} I'm not sure how to do it though. This might be something you want to add to the Kepub option tabs for future updates of the plugin?
digital punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:41 AM   #80
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, it isn't. That's something you can do yourself using the custom CSS found in another tab, or that you can do yourself by editing the book in calibre if you're starting with an ePub or AZW3 file. There's already ways to do what you want in the base conversion options, there's no need to add it to the conversion plugin and duplicate the hard work Kovid and others put into making that possible.
Yea, what BobC said

Last edited by jgoguen; 01-21-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 05:00 AM   #81
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital punk View Post
thanks for the plugin and all the related info. is there any quick way to remove the indent of the first chapter/section? I notice BobC was apparently able to do it using some code ie h2+p {text-indent: 0;} I'm not sure how to do it though. This might be something you want to add to the Kepub option tabs for future updates of the plugin?
The h2+p CSS selector is not a general approach that can be applied to any book, you need to examine the code of the books themselves to work out just what to apply to select, say, the first paragraph following a chapter heading. I do this as part of my book editing rather than having to apply a separate class to the first paragraph. It's a "lazy" approach but quite effective. Definitely not something to automate :-) The Calibre Editor now makes this a very easy task.

Incidentally if you do use this technique then beware of Sigil - choosing to clean up "unused" styles will (offer to) delete the h2+p "class" as unused. This will undo your work. I see Kovid is planning a similar "clean up CSS" for the Editor, I hope it is possible for him to avoid this mistake or at least flag compound selectors as "possibly unused".

BobC

Last edited by BobC; 01-21-2014 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Added reference to Calibre Editor
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:30 AM   #82
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kepubs premature finish

I've posted the question here as it relates to books I have converted to KEPUB and then loaded onto my Glo.

On a couple of occasions recently I've built up a book and converted to Kepub before loading onto the Glo, something I have done many times and with no issues. When I come to open these two books on the Glo it displays the cover page but if I swipe for the next page it then immediately exits the book and marks it as "Finished". If I enter the TOC from the cover page I can navigate through the book with no problem.

I managed in one case to solve the problem by using the modify epub plugin in Calibre to delete the cover page and then to add in the cover page again. I may also have manually deleted a reference in the spine to "linear = yes" for one of the items which was in it's correct position anyway. I can't be sure about this last point as I was playing with two books and may have mixed up what I did to which.

As "finishing" a book seems to be a KEPUB thing and the epubs behaved correctly in ADE on the PC I wondered if there was a known issue with this ?

BobC
Old 01-29-2014, 10:46 AM   #83
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

I suspect it's an issue with the book spine or TOC. If the books are copyrighted, submit a new bug and flag it Private (the bug submission directions walk you through it) or if they're not copyrighted just attach one here.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:49 PM   #84
BobC
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
I suspect it's an issue with the book spine or TOC. If the books are copyrighted, submit a new bug and flag it Private (the bug submission directions walk you through it) or if they're not copyrighted just attach one here.
Thanks for the offer but I sorted the problem by trial and error, though I'm not sure what was wrong (in one case it was start again from scratch). I no longer have the problem books so can't post them (one was a Gutenberg conversion so no copyright problem anyway). I'll keep my eye open and if it happens again what is it you want - the kepub or the epub version ?

I don't think it is actually a conversion issue but a structural issue with the epub and I wanted to work out how to avoid it happening.

BobC
Old 01-29-2014, 01:30 PM   #85
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

For this, the KePub alone is probably fine. The conversion plugin doesn't touch the TOC or the spine (doesn't even read them) unless something you've set in the general calibre conversion options would modify them.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:11 PM   #86
Gnom
Gnom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gnom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gnom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gnom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gnom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo touch
I have a couple of ebooks that I'd like to have in the form of kepubs to benefit of the display engine. They are Japanese books and the epub rendering engine seems to ignore the right to left instruction, so one has to turn pages from left to right, which in the case of Japanese books is very awkward. The kepub engine seems to work fine, as I've confirmed in adding the right to left instruction in a random English book, and loading it both as a .epub and as a .kepub.epub (no conversion, just a change of extension), the first one turned in the "usual" direction while the second turned from right to left.

Now, my problem is I'd like to do the same for those Japanese epubs I have, but it doesn't work. If I convert them using the plugin it results in a really smaller file, which once loaded in the kobo can't be opened, there's a message saying that there's something wrong with the file. The same happens if I just change the extension to .kepub.epub. Now I don't know where the problem comes from: are these books not compliant to standards, or does the kobo have trouble with Japanese formatting, or is it the plugin ? As you can see, I'm beaten right now...

Turns out I was wrong. One of the epub I was trying to use actually works if I use the .kepub.epub extension without converting first, but when the book launches the display is blank. If I scroll until the screen is fully refreshed, all seems to work, although everything's pretty slow. Could it be because this book doesn't contain chapter, it's just one big block of text? Anyway, if I convert using the conversion plugin first, I can only read the first page, after which nothing is displayed. Not sure why that happens but using calibre's included reader causes the same issue.

Update: I've chaptered the half working good, and it's now a perfectly working book, if I use the .kepub.epub renaming without conversion. So I guess the other books have formatting problems, I'll check that. Anyway, sorry for the intrusion since I could find a solution which isn't even related to the main topic...

Last edited by Gnom; 02-10-2014 at 06:27 AM. Reason: New elements
Gnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #87
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

In general, if it doesn't work when all you do is rename the file then there's a problem with the book itself that needs to be fixed somehow.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:43 PM   #88
Gnom
Gnom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gnom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gnom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gnom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gnom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo touch
I solved the problem by recreating the books from the start and stripping of many things I don't need, now they all work
Gnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:45 AM   #89
AdamV
*Censored*
AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (brown), Asus DR 900
Is there a way to get rid of the title bar and use the space for page text instead like it happens with epub?
AdamV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:35 AM   #90
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Not without a hack, and I'm not sure if there's a hack for that. Try looking in this forum for something. I think I recall hearing about a full screen hack in there somewhere...