Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you feel about stopping a thread in its tracks?
I AM THE WORD OF AUTHORITY. BOW TO ZOD! 4 9.76%
I showed my clever today! 2 4.88%
Hmm... was it something I said? 9 21.95%
Nobody likes talking to me. 9 21.95%
Oh, God, I killed it... 17 41.46%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
How do you feel about stopping a thread in its tracks?

When a short or long, popular or virulent thread suddenly comes to a halt... and you were the last one to post there... how does it make you feel? Are you glad to be the one to end it... or are you sorry you ended it? Do you feel powerful... or guilty?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Definitely guilty...
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Guilty, definitely.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
however there are some threads that SHOULD be killed daid
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sure... and the sooner, the better. (I refuse to name names.) But some threads seem reasonable and healthy... until your last post. Did you really say the last thing that needed to be said? Or did you say the thing that convinced everyone to run screaming from you?

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 04-02-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Advert
Old 04-03-2012, 02:50 AM   #6
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I wouldn't feel guilty at all but on the other hand I would never assume that it has really been what I'd written that has stopped this thread. That is a little bit too presumptuous, in my mind. I don't think that with my posts I could bring anyone to write in or stay away from a thread.

Why do you ask? Did it happen to you that you've stopped a thread that had been running for a long time? Or is it more a general debate?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:17 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Nobody likes to talk to me
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Why do you ask? Did it happen to you that you've stopped a thread that had been running for a long time? Or is it more a general debate?
Just talking. I have seen a few threads stop just after I've posted; and no, I don't rationally believe I was the cause of the thread's stopping.

But there's the irrational side of me (he sits next to the paranoid side of me, the conspiracy side of me, the wimpy Mirror, Mirror side of me and the sex-crazed side of me) that points to every ended thread and says, "Hey. I did that."

Then the sides argue a bit.

"No you didn't."

"I did!"

"What makes you think you have that much power?"

"Well, look! It stopped! QED!"

"You're so crazy."

"Yeah. Better not say it too loud, or the mods might cut you off."

"Yeah, they've done it before."

"Oh, yeah? When?"

"Have you seen HighKite around here lately?"

"Who?"

"There ya go."

"I hope the babes are reading this..."

Well, okay: They argue a lot.

So, anyway, this poll is for those irrational sides of us to crow or vent a bit.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Man...I though I was the only one who had voices arguing inside my head. It's nice to know I'm not alone.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #10
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I feel shame and guilt.

I think it may have been me that killed the book dialog game thread and I felt bad, but then pdurrant managed to kill it for more than two months.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_pheonix View Post
Man...I though I was the only one who had voices arguing inside my head. It's nice to know I'm not alone.
My irrational side just wins way too often!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I'd like to think that threads I've killed were either because they were going to die anyway, or because I made such a convincing argument that others realized there just wasn't anything more to say.

However, I suspect that others may have been thinking, "this guy's a jerk, but I don't feel like arguing with him."

Lately, I've actually tried to stick to the lighter subjects and areas like the Lounge. I'm trying to stay away from getting into confrontations, but every now and then I get sucked into one of the dead horse threads.

There is a poster here (not in this thread yet) who argues very well, and usually takes the exact opposite position of me on a lot of issues. I put him on my ignore list just so he wouldn't set me off.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Very guilty, unless it was one particular thread, when I would feel triumphant.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #14
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I'd like to think that threads I've killed were either because they were going to die anyway, or because I made such a convincing argument that others realized there just wasn't anything more to say.

However, I suspect that others may have been thinking, "this guy's a jerk, but I don't feel like arguing with him."

Lately, I've actually tried to stick to the lighter subjects and areas like the Lounge. I'm trying to stay away from getting into confrontations, but every now and then I get sucked into one of the dead horse threads.

There is a poster here (not in this thread yet) who argues very well, and usually takes the exact opposite position of me on a lot of issues. I put him on my ignore list just so he wouldn't set me off.
that's why I pretty much stick to the lounge anymore. why bother pig wrasslin'
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
that's why I pretty much stick to the lounge anymore. why bother pig wrasslin'
Sometimes, I'm just in the mood
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feelings, free mouse burgers, poll, threads