Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
harpandheart
harpandheart began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
help for Kindle 6

Someone just gave me a Kindle 6 (I believe this is the version - the serial number starts with B006) as a gift. And while I am grateful, I have found I can't read books from my library on the Kindle.

I've gone through the Kindlepid and Kindlefix scripts in an attempt to convert my library books to the format required for Kindle, but now find out that the books from my library have an *.acsm extension.

Is there a relatively simple way to convert these to the format required by Kindle? The system my library uses is called "Overdrive".

If you could help me in the simpliest way possible, I would really appreciate it. I'm not terribly computer smart so please be gentle

Thanks very much.
harpandheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, harpandheart.

I believe you have the K3 there......the number doesn't signify the model.

You need to download Calibre, and install a simple script in order to read library books.

The books from your library are probably "epub" The "acsm" is not a format.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
desertgrandma is correct on all points. the acsm file isn't the book. It is a key file that gives you permission to open the book

1. Install Adobe Digital Editions and set up an account
http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/

When you "check-out" a book from the library and click download, tell your computer to open the acsm with Adobe Digital Editions. That will put the eBook on your computer

2. Install Calibre
http://calibre-ebook.com

3. Google the phrase "Apprentice Alf Blog" and look for the entry on "Continuing the Dark Reversers Work.

There is a set of tools there to download. Do so and look for the instructions.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Kindlefix scripts are only for MOBI lending library ebooks, which are now rare. I'm not sure they work on the Kindle 3 anyway.

To get the actual ePub ebook file, you need to open the .acsm file in Adobe Digital Editions. The .acsm file is just a "ticket" to get the .epub. Your library should have some on-line help about this process.

As desertgrandma said, to get the ePub onto your Kindle you need to convert it to the MOBI format. Do this using Calibre. The final wrinkle is that the lending library ePub has DRM (i.e. is encrypted). You need to add a 3rd party plug-in to Calibre to strip the DRM. Apprentice Alf's Blog is the best source for DRM info. You want the tools_v2.3 bundle, which includes the plug-ins and READMEs on how to install them. This process can seem a bit daunting at first, but once you have it setup ePubs will be just as easy to use as Kindle ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you want to borrow books from the Library you might ask the person who gave you it to return the Kindle and get you a Nook, Kobo, or Sony. All three read EpUbs and will be easier for you to use at the library.

There are some other devices out there, like the pocketbooks, that I am less familiar with that would also read library books.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #6
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
If you do go to the trouble of visiting Apprentice Alf's site, just search his site for "2.3" which will lead to the tools version 2.3 and follow that.

It is not bad but takes a bit of leg work at first.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
I did the Calibre / Dark reverser's Plug-in thing last night and it works great, I can now use library books...thanks! Question- am I still constrained by the lending time period originally on the book before conversion and stripping? In other words, will it become unreadable in two weeks or was the loan period stripped off too?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
gca3020
gca3020 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
I did the Calibre / Dark reverser's Plug-in thing last night and it works great, I can now use library books...thanks! Question- am I still constrained by the lending time period originally on the book before conversion and stripping? In other words, will it become unreadable in two weeks or was the loan period stripped off too?
The loan period gets stripped off as well, though it's up to your personal morals/ethics if you keep them longer than the 2-3 weeks.

I do, personally, but I also delete them after I finally do read them.
gca3020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Thanks for the information! I agree with the delete decision, just wanted to know if I needed to make reading them a priority or not...
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote