Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #91
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
I wonder, is it possible to change the Adobe DE fonts the same way?
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:34 PM   #92
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
I wonder, is it possible to change the Adobe DE fonts the same way?
If you mean Adobe DE epub files (without DRM), there are easier ways. You can embed fonts in epub files and there is no slowdown. You can easily change the epub file so it uses a font you embed.

If you mean Adobe DE PDFs, then no. It's a PDF.

If you mean changing a font on the Reader so that all epubs use your font, this would be impractical. As I've said, embedding fonts in epubs is easy and so it's often used. Any epub with an embedded font would override your fonts.

Not to mention that I have no idea how one would change the fonts in the mobile DE running on the Sony Reader (or even if it has any fonts by default, although I'm guessing it does).
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #93
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
You can embed fonts in epub files and there is no slowdown. You can easily change the epub file so it uses a font you embed.
How? I don't see an option for that in Calibre's *2epub.

Quote:
If you mean changing a font on the Reader so that all epubs use your font, this would be impractical.
It would be practical for me, if I decide to switch to EPUB one day - it would be wasteful to embed the same font into every single book.

Quote:
or even if it has any fonts by default, although I'm guessing it does).
It does.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:30 PM   #94
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How? I don't see an option for that in Calibre's *2epub.
Assemble the epub by hand. Yeah, I know.

Quote:
It would be practical for me, if I decide to switch to EPUB one day - it would be wasteful to embed the same font into every single book.
Yes it would, but again, I don't know how you could change the mobile DE fonts. Frankly, I haven't tried. It could end up being very easy... or not.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:12 AM   #95
Pestilence
Pestilence began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Hi everyone. I was looking for a link to the Reader to send to a friend of mine and on a whim typed in "hack sony reader 505" into google and I found this site. Its heaven for a guy like me!

Just wanted to let you know that I grabbed v1.2 of the Font Changing Guide, followed the steps and it worked perfectly. The only real problem I had with this thing was the poor font it used at default. A few tense minutes later, I had new firmware with the Caecilia font and its fantastic! Its clear and so very readable.

Thank you guys so much for all your hard work. You have absolutely made my day.
Pestilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2009, 04:15 PM   #96
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
Thank you guys so much for all your hard work. You have absolutely made my day.
See, now I can't get that warm, fuzzy feeling off me.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:16 AM   #97
UncleIvor
Enthusiast
UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kobo readers, Sony readers from the past.
Wonderful manual, which I have downloaded and printed off.

One point of detail - page 8.

'copy all the files in that folder (font.1) to ...\font.3'

Trouble is that there are already fonts in \font.3 with the same name. in \font.1 the tt0011m_ file is 71kb; in \font.3 it is 201kb.

Do I <i>overwrite</i> the file in \font.3 with the one in \font.1?

Many thanks.
UncleIvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:57 AM   #98
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Looks to me as if Jeff's put the Unicode version of the standard fonts in fonts.3, so personally, I'd skip the "copy all three fonts" part and just go with the overwriting of the specific font you're changing in there...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:17 PM   #99
JasonB
Connoisseur
JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Sony PRS-505
This may sound silly, but are there screenshots somewhere of the different fonts as they display on the reader? I'm quite happy with the default font I have, and part of me says that if that's the case I shouldn't bother customizing things - but if changing the font really does make a difference, I'd like to see the various options before doing so. (Otherwise, it's sort of trial and error with various different fonts and seeing which I like best.) But a "different fonts gallery" for easy reference would be useful. Perhaps even to those who've already changed to something else - but didn't test a particular one. They might see, in a screenshot, something that they actually like better but missed?
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #100
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleIvor View Post
One point of detail - page 8.

'copy all the files in that folder (font.1) to ...\font.3'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Looks to me as if Jeff's put the Unicode version of the standard fonts in fonts.3, so personally, I'd skip the "copy all three fonts" part and just go with the overwriting of the specific font you're changing in there...
Yeah, it appears Jeff put those fonts there by default. Not a problem, you can either skip it or overwrite them, makes no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
This may sound silly, but are there screenshots somewhere of the different fonts as they display on the reader?
In the guide, on page 3 you can see a picture of the Reader with the default font and with the Vera Serif font. I'll take a picture of my Reader with the Caecillia font which seems to be the most popular one (it truly does look the best of all the others I've tried). I'll post it here as soon as I find my digital camera... it appears I misplaced it.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:25 PM   #101
UncleIvor
Enthusiast
UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.UncleIvor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I put the renamed font (Palatino Linotype) into Font.3 and it worked. Thanks.

One way of viewing a font without 'flashing' the 505 might be to put into the folder of the eBook Library, and see what it looks like there. Is that feasible?
Old 02-20-2009, 05:32 PM   #102
Valloric

Quote:
One way of viewing a font without 'flashing' the 505 might be to put into the folder of the eBook Library, and see what it looks like there. Is that feasible?
You're absolutely right. Why didn't I think of that?
Old 02-21-2009, 01:57 AM   #103
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Worked like a charm. I can't describe how grateful I am.

Dutch Roman looks far too much like Times, and I can't stand Times -- I think it's because I'm a teacher and have read far too many lousy student essays written in Times.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:07 AM   #104
UncleIvor
Enthusiast

Most of my stuff on the 505 has been converted from plain text. It's tempting to convert to some format like LRB, but instead, I've made a template in Open Office with correct page size, font size, margins, para indent, space after para, etc, and converted to pdf with fonts embedded.
That way I have full control over appearance, and to me the biggest issue is readability.
One of the problems with LRB etc is that the small font seems too small, and the medium too large (particularly with wide margins).
The downside is, of course, file size - but since I've now added a 2Gb sd card for the flashing, I'd have to have an awful lot of books on the reader to even make a small dent in the memory available.
The 505 doesn't handle pdfs very well, but if the formatting is correct in the first place, that's not an issue.
What do others think?
Old 02-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #105
Valloric

Quote:
Most of my stuff on the 505 has been converted from plain text. It's tempting to convert to some format like LRB, but instead, I've made a template in Open Office with correct page size, font size, margins, para indent, space after para, etc, and converted to pdf with fonts embedded.
That way I have full control over appearance, and to me the biggest issue is readability.
One of the problems with LRB etc is that the small font seems too small, and the medium too large (particularly with wide margins).
The downside is, of course, file size - but since I've now added a 2Gb sd card for the flashing, I'd have to have an awful lot of books on the reader to even make a small dent in the memory available.
The 505 doesn't handle pdfs very well, but if the formatting is correct in the first place, that's not an issue.
What do others think?
You should probably open a new thread on this, in the main PRS-505 area.