Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch as backup
Kindle Touch - problems with heat

I have noticed this weird problem twice since December. When I sit outside on warmer days, the screen starts flickering. It's quite specific -- when I turn a page, the new page appears, then the old page appears for a second, then the new page appears again. Restarts don't make a difference. Once I get the Kindle back inside a while later and it's in cooler temperatures, it starts working properly again.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I thought it was only the heat outside (we are talking about 70 degrees, not Sahara desert) since that was the only time I've seen it happen. Then last night it happened again inside! The room was not air-conditioned and was about 84 degrees. Saw the same flickering issue again. Am I the only one experiencing this? Is it worth talking to Amazon about? Thanks.
sparrowlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
That seems to be the norm with eink. I've noticed that with mine (not the Touch model) when sitting outside and reading in the summer. But, there's not been any other ill effect with mine, anyways.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
It's probably not the temperature, but the UV light. It's a valid reason to request an exchange. I've never had this issue with any of my Kindles, but fading text was a real issue with a huge number of Kindle 3s, and there's no reason to think that UV llght can't affect screens on other models.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
To put that into context, there was a batch of eInk displays made by LG from which a UV-protective layer was missed off during the manufacturing process. These screens ended up in every brand of reader, leading to the screen fading in direct sunlight. That was a problem specific to that one batch of screens, and has long since been resolved.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowlight View Post
The room was not air-conditioned and was about 84 degrees.
I get cranky if my house hits 75!

Back on topic, I would contact Amazon and get a replacement. Sounds like it may have an issue.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
I get cranky if my house hits 75!

Back on topic, I would contact Amazon and get a replacement. Sounds like it may have an issue.
Thanks....we'll see what they say (CS said it would get back to me in 48 hours). I am much happier with a/c on but I've been trying to save money and I do have great ceiling fans.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Something else is going on. I often read my kt in the sun and I live in South Florida so heat is a given. For me the kindle is best out in the sun. Never had a heat issue.

Do you have a skin or other cover on the device?
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
sparrowlight
Zealot

I have a skin but it's super thin (decal girl). And no cover on the device while I was reading.

Last edited by sparrowlight; 04-04-2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
sparrowlight
Zealot

OK! Amazon is sending me a replacement. I hope it won't have any issues. We shall see.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #10
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowlight View Post
OK! Amazon is sending me a replacement. I hope it won't have any issues. We shall see.
Amazon's Kindle customer service is great!
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Amazon's Kindle customer service is great!
Which is good because their software upgrade policy stinks (as any DXG owner will tell you).
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #12
sparrowlight
Zealot

Well, new Kindle is here and I've been updating it with my books (have I ever mentioned how much I hate indexing?) I hope to test out the heat issue once we get warmer days.

Tags
heat, kindle touch, problems