Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 06-25-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What do you think?

For those of you using MobiPocket or FBReader on whatever device you read ebooks, how do you think these books are doing? Do you have any complaints, anything you'd like us to do differently (if we can)? We'd like to hear your comments please. Thanks!

Jon
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Jon,

On my HP iPAQ 4700 with Mobipocket, the books look great.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Jon,

On my HP iPAQ 4700 with Mobipocket, the books look great.
That is very good to know that what we are producing looks good. It would be a shame to produce MobiPocket books that turned out to be not good enough.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:00 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I have not yet downloaded any ebooks from here, but I do have a suggestion.

When you are editing an anthology, at the end of each story/section please include a link to the table of contents. This lets the reader jump around. Anthologies don't have to be read sequentially.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 05:49 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I have not yet downloaded any ebooks from here, but I do have a suggestion.

When you are editing an anthology, at the end of each story/section please include a link to the table of contents. This lets the reader jump around. Anthologies don't have to be read sequentially.
It would not be hard to have a "Return to Table of Contents" placed at the end of each story. But that is up to whomever is making the collection.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:11 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Most bookreaders have a "go to 1st page" shortcut of some kind. That should get you pretty close to the table of contents.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:03 AM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Most bookreaders have a "go to 1st page" shortcut of some kind. That should get you pretty close to the table of contents.
Well, yes, but that assumes that the TOC is near the front. Baen always puts it at the rear of the ebook.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:07 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Well, yes, but that assumes that the TOC is near the front. Baen always puts it at the rear of the ebook.
That's a silly place to put a TOC .

You could always download the HTML version of the book from Baen, load it into Book Designer, shift the TOC to the front, and create your own Mobi version. That would take 2 minutes, tops.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:15 AM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's a silly place to put a TOC .

You could always download the HTML version of the book from Baen, load it into Book Designer, shift the TOC to the front, and create your own Mobi version. That would take 2 minutes, tops.
Yes, but I just wanted to share a design idea I had. I think it makes the books more readable.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:24 PM   #10
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
Baen always places a link to the TOC on the first page so it is easy to reach. Usually a Mobipocket book also has a menu entry to reach the TOC and various other positions in the book. These are missing from the ebooks here.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:30 PM   #11
katania
katania doesn't litterkatania doesn't litter

Thank you

Just wanted to thank you for your great work on all these books
I only have my Iliad a short time but much prefer to read the mobipocket format.
You are doing a great job
Thank you Katania
katania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:00 AM   #12
faniuy
faniuy began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 9300
the mobi reader works perfectly on my nokia 9300, even better than adobe reader.
faniuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:11 AM   #13
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
The books look wonderful and the selection is extremely good. Well I suppose the comment on the selection is subjective but it works for me. I find the selection broad and interesting.

Thank you all for the hard work and care that has gone into this. It is a treasure.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:17 AM   #14
Laurel
Laurel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Amazon Kindle
Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám

Hi, I'm Laurel, the owner of my first ever e-book reader, an Amazon Kindle. I really appreciate the books that you all make available here. What a great service. I'm finding that they are better formatted than many of the books from the Kindle store.

I've only run into one problem. I downloaded this book from Patricia. It works fine on the Mobipocket reader but will not come up on my Kindle. Patricia says that there is no copyright problem with the text or the pictures. She thought that one of you might be able to solve this puzzle for me.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17891

I just checked the Kindle store and downloaded a sample of their version. The formatting is terrible. I really want to take advantage of the beautiful work that Patricia did. This is one of the books that I remember from my childhood. My father had a lovely edition of it and often would quote line after line. He's ninety-one now and can still quote from it.

Laurel
a new member
Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:15 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
Hi, I'm Laurel, the owner of my first ever e-book reader, an Amazon Kindle. I really appreciate the books that you all make available here. What a great service. I'm finding that they are better formatted than many of the books from the Kindle store.

I've only run into one problem. I downloaded this book from Patricia. It works fine on the Mobipocket reader but will not come up on my Kindle. Patricia says that there is no copyright problem with the text or the pictures. She thought that one of you might be able to solve this puzzle for me.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17891

I just checked the Kindle store and downloaded a sample of their version. The formatting is terrible. I really want to take advantage of the beautiful work that Patricia did. This is one of the books that I remember from my childhood. My father had a lovely edition of it and often would quote line after line. He's ninety-one now and can still quote from it.

Laurel
a new member
I just took a look at the thread for the book you want to read. I do not own a Kindle, but I do have a guess as to what might be an issue. It could be the accents in the filename and/or the metadata. Try renaming the file without the accents. If it still does not work, ask Patricia to make you a new version without the accents in the metadata and see if that works. Good luck and Welcome to MobileRead.