Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-29-2015, 11:57 AM   #1
willroyo
willroyo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Downloading News Subscriptions Without Calibre Running?

I like the automatic news downloading and emailing to my K3, but is there such a way / service I could run the schedule whilst Calibre is not running on my Mac?
willroyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:20 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
No, calibre must be running in order to run calibre and do one of the things calibre does.

What you can do, is set a schedued task (linux: cron job/systemd timer, not sure what the best way is with OSX but maybe launchd? Automator?)
Using the CLI backend, `ebook-convert` can take the name of a "News Source.recipe" as input. `calibredb add` can add the resulting ebook to your library, and `calibre-smtp` can be used to send files via an email relay.

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-29-2015 at 06:23 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:53 AM   #3
willroyo

Ok thanks, I have a linux webserver running Centos, I guess I could try installing on that. Will I be able to set up without a desktop / completely via CLI?
Old 12-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Easy. Just see the download_linux page, with a one-liner to install the latest version of calibre.
And the CLI tools run headlessly as of calibre v2.x.

Good choice running on a server laptops have the small downside of not always being turned on.

It should be as simple as:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

ebook-convert "$1.recipe" /tmp/news.mobi
calibre-smtp -s "Daily news job for $1" -a /tmp/news.recipe -r smtp.gmail.com --port 587 -u "me@gmail.com" -p "mypassword"
rm /tmp/news.mobi
Then add cron jobs for `scheduled-recipe-download.sh "My Recipe"`.

You *could* do the same on your Macbook, but if you have a dedicated server why not use it -- plus the CLI tools are a PITA on OSX because the path is deep in the application bundle.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:05 PM   #5
willroyo

Great, thanks for the tips & info!

Tags
news