Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-13-2017, 08:02 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
One of the first things I did as soon as Manage Your Contents had Cloud Collections was scroll through my entire library and check every book was in a collection. I'm a bit OCD like that.
On the other hand, I don't use collections at all - the only type of organisation that interests me is ordering books in series, which I do by other means. Each to their own .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:23 AM   #17
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
wtf am I doing? how do I prevent future problems w/kindle cloud and organize things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I can sort by series absolutely fine on mine. I use a Calibre metadata plugboard to prefix series name and number to a book's title, so when I sort by either author or title I see series in order. I currently have almost 9000 books on my KO2, and it works very well indeed.
Hello HarryT! I have read so many useful threads authored by you, including the one about indexing on the KO2. I was wondering if you could write an article with the Calibre n00b in mind on the best way someone with a several thousand books to organize their library. Mine are mostly fantasy/sci-fiction, the favorites of my childrhood +history and philosophy and I also have the aspiration to collect the literary classics which are public domain.

With my 4gb KO1 I never even bothered trying. It was just an easy way to read books while overseas but now that I have the 32 GB version I really want to upload my library. I have only been using Calibre heavily the last couple weeks as it was easy enough to move over a series at a time, my KO1 never had more than a few hundred so I really am a novice in its utilization.

It has even been a chore to get them into Calibre as I often need to convert from PDF or another format and change the meta data. In the process I have made many potential mistakes because I don't know what I am doing. For example, some books have information about the series contained in the title but I deleted it as Calibre has a separate field for that data but when I transfer them of course it is gone. I began creating collections for series but it is such a chore to add them individually. Today I tried using Kindle Cloud but am unsure of its limitations or what will happen if I quit Amazon Prime later.

So I guess what I am asking, because you said before that you were testing the KO2 for people who wanted to upload and manage an entire library, if you had to start over without your library reorganized in Calibre how would you proceed?

I hope this makes sense and thank you for all of your hard work!
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2017, 03:40 AM   #18
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
The Montefiore Kindle version is listed on Amazon as 9236 bytes. I have that book and it certainly doesn't take up 324 megabytes. I'd be interested in the Leonardo one, the size doesn't matter on a 32 GB Kindle, but I can't justify £14.99 to myself.
There are two versions of Montefiore's Romanovs of Amazon Japan - Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 2016 edition, 9236 KB (not bytes)
and
Vintage, Reprint edition, 2016, 324024 KB

Yes, Leonardo is expensive, but it just came out, so the price might go down a bit (but not a lot) next year. Amazon Japan sells it for 1871 Yen (around 12.5 pounds).
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:59 AM   #19
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
Sure, but it has a lot of text and I prefer reading the text on my Oasis, can't really read books on Ipad. (I just checked, more than 600 pages, no Ipad for me).
And it's not the only one that is big. Montefiore's Romanovs Kindle version is 324024 KB.

We seem to have the same tastes in books! 😎
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:52 PM   #20
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
So you bought a reader for more than 200 quid and cannot justify spending 15 on a book?
Yes, £15 for a single book is difficult for me to swallow. I may well succumb if it drops to nearer £10. It's just psychological.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2017, 08:29 PM   #21
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
My sister got her Oasis. We loaded over 3,000 books on it using my Calibre including at least 200 books with heavy illustrations (mostly gardening books). It finished doing the indexing after about 1.5 days and then she said it was 'sweet.' When she comes back for her next visit, I'll take all the books off and reload just what she wants (she gets all the gardening books).

I never quite got Cloud Collections to really work for me. I just use Calibre after I understood how to use plugboards. I am going to try it when I get the chance as the only one linked to my account after December will be my mom.

Oh, and even with all that illustrated stuff on there, she has tons of space on the ereader.

Last edited by Tarana; 11-24-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote