Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-13-2017, 06:18 AM   #1
imageraw
Connoisseur
imageraw began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-650
Tolino Epos or Illumina XL HD?

hi everyone,

i was wondering if anyone has had the chance to compare the Tolino Epos 7.8 with the new (due in December 2017) Icarus Illumina XL HD 7.8...and what their first impressions were.

as far as I understand (might be totally wrong), both run some version of Android. The main difference though (again, hopefully I got this right) that would make me go for the Illumina is its ability to connect to Google Play. The Tolino seems to lack this feature...

if this were the case, it would make it possible to legally read Amazon DRM-protected e-books on the Illumina via the Kindle app. This seems to be impossible on almost every single 7.8-inch reader out there (?).

what do you think? it'd also be great if anyone could share their experience with PDF files on either reader.

thanks!
imageraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #2
imageraw
Connoisseur
imageraw began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-650
a bit of an update:

I "tested" the Tolino Epos at a retailer in Germany, and I was pleased with both reading experience and responsiveness in general. It handles PDF files all right, considering the size of the screen. The device feels solid and well-made. Unfortunately, you can't use it to read Kindle DRM-protected e-books but you can buy e-books from any online retailer that offers Epub formats. Apparently, it's made in Germany.

on the other hand...I've come across

https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...-on-aliexpress

and interestingly the Illumina seems to be quite similar to the Lifebook (made in China? same producer as the Illumina?)...anyway, to the point, down towards the end of the page there's a clip about Kindle's responsiveness on the Illumina - and it doesn't look particularly exciting (something to do with the relatively "old" version of Android, perhaps?)...and I'd be a bit worried about facing troubles every time I need to upgrade to a new version of the Kindle app...

I know this doesn't add much value to the thread hopefully someone can offer their opinion on the Illumina?
imageraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:31 AM   #3
Matilo
Zealot
Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Mars, kindle Paperwhite 2nd generation, kindle fire hdx 8.9
The Boyue Likebook Plus (= Icarus Illumina XL HD) has much more power under the hood and the bigger battery. This gets obvious when browsing and zooming through pdf files. But when it comes to light the Epos has a moonlight (=bluelightfilter).
https://youtu.be/EbPHlO04ArU
Matilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:47 PM   #4
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matilo View Post
The Boyue Likebook Plus (= Icarus Illumina XL HD) has much more power under the hood and the bigger battery. This gets obvious when browsing and zooming through pdf files. But when it comes to light the Epos has a moonlight (=bluelightfilter).
https://youtu.be/EbPHlO04ArU
Aha! Evidence of positive browser experience?
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote