Notices

Old 09-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
zybernav
zybernav began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook mini
Experience of BeBook mini screen replacement

Experience of BeBook mini screen replacement

Dear all,

I would like to share my experience about taking apart my BeBook mini (aka LBook V5, Hanlin V5, EZReader Pocker PRO) and replace the screen. Hope some might find this post useful.

The screen of my BeBook mini started showing 'dead stripes' after reading about 50 books. I am not sure what cause stripes, may be trauma, maybe moisture but they appeared more and more. This made my BeBook useless and had stayed on the shelf for a couple years. Phone and tablet can somewhat substitute the reading but I still missed my eReader.

I was put between two choices: buying a new one or doing something with the broken screen of the 4 years old device.

Last month I decided to take apart the BeBook (nothing to lose!). If I was lucky, I can take a look at the screen model number and find the replacement. My experience is below:

1. There are 3 pieces that comprise the case of the device: the front, middel and back. There are 5 screws at the back of the device -
- 4 are at each corner - you have to remove the rubber that plugged the holes first
- one at the battery cover
Spoiler:

2. After the screws and battery are removed, the back case can be taken off. I was not very good at this and broke some of the plastic joints and the back case. The circuit board is on the next layer.
Spoiler:

3. At the upper left corner, there is a cable connect the circuit board with the eInk screen. It can be removed by flipping the gray part up and withdraw the cable. (In the picture is while I am trying out my new screen replacement)
Spoiler:

4. There are 2 screws that hold the circuit board with the middle case. To take off the circuit board, the screws have to be removed.

5. The eInk screen is adhered to the front case by some kind of glue. which can be gently pried out.
Spoiler:

6. The model number of the screen is printed at the origin of the cable.:
ED050SC3(LF)
Spoiler:

7. I put that model number into google and found several sellers. I ordered one from a chinese vendor [Link removed by moderator]. It cost $29 with free shipping.

8. One week later the package arrived. I tried connecting the new screen with the circuit board. It's working.
Spoiler:

9. Putting things back together. Although some plastic joints were loose, the screws can hold everything together. Adhesive tape here and there. Now my BeBook mini is back!
Spoiler:

My conclusion from the experience is: Replacing the screen of the eReader is possible and cheaper solution than buying a new one. Some courage and time are needed but it is worth exploring.

Happy reading!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-10-2013 at 07:48 AM. Reason: placed larger images in spoilers - moderator
zybernav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Buyer Beware

Read before you click! This is the link that was removed from the post above:

http://www.aliexpress.com

It was removed because even though it's both Norton Site Safety and McAfee SiteAdvisor approved, aliexpress.com seems to have its detractors and may not be the best vendor with which to do business. The following links all contain posts from unsatisfied aliexpress.com customers:

http://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.aliexpress.com

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/AliExpress

http://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.aliexpress.com
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote