Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
*VERY* detailed guide on changing default Reader fonts

Here it is, an extremely detailed and thorough guide to changing the default fonts on the Reader. It's in 4 steps, 17 pages, 9 pictures and 5 appendices. For a procedure that takes a full 15 minutes, it can not get any more detailed than this.

If you have any questions, post them here, and I'll get to them when I can.

Dear God, this took me a whole day... and I had so much stuff I needed to do today .

Please carefully read both the Guide and this thread before asking questions! Thank you!

CHANGELOG:

v1.2
- Step Two: parts rewritten to support the next version of PRSC, 1.04; thanks to Jeff for adding explicit support for custom fonts in PRSC
- added licensing info: file under Creative Commons BY-NC-SA.
- some clarifications
- some typo fixes

v1.1
- Step Two: updated references to latest version of PRSC; also changed the screenshot to latest version
- Step Four: it now explicitly instructs people who use Sony's eBook Library to change its fonts too, instead of merely suggesting it
- Step Four: removing and restoring books instruction also made more clear
- hyperlinks are now blue, instead of that nasty yellow color
- some typo fixes

v1.0
- initial version
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Guide to changing fonts v1.1.pdf (7.82 MB, 7474 views)
File Type: pdf Guide to changing fonts v1.2.pdf (7.83 MB, 16473 views)

Last edited by Valloric; 09-23-2009 at 06:25 PM. Reason: update
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
That's a very nice guide, Valloric.

acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Excellently done! This is a wonderful resource. Mods: This deserves a sticky.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
stuck. thanks Valloric ! that deserves karma.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Thanks so much Valloric!! I really appreciate your efforts. I've toyed with the idea of changing the fonts on my reader but have shied away from it for fear of bricking the thing. Now, with your excellent guide, I might get up the courage to try!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:18 PM   #6
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
stuck. thanks Valloric ! that deserves karma.
Agreed Zelda! I forgot, but have corrected myself
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:45 AM   #7
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Here it is, an extremely detailed and thorough guide to changing the default fonts on the Reader. It's in 4 steps, 17 pages, 9 pictures and 5 appendices. For a procedure that takes a full 15 minutes, it can not get any more detailed than this.

If you have any questions, post them here, and I'll get to them when I can.

Dear God, this took me a whole day... and I had so much stuff I needed to do today .

Great piece of work, with a nice extract from Hyperion. I had given up trying to replace my fonts, but your effort deserves another try. I'll tell you how it goes.

Whether I succeed or not (I am rather pessimistic after so many trials), thanks a lot.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:47 PM   #8
crc
unknown
crc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thank you for taking the time to document this process. I was able to replace the font with a much nicer one with only a few minutes work after reading this.
crc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:35 PM   #9
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crc View Post
Thank you for taking the time to document this process. I was able to replace the font with a much nicer one with only a few minutes work after reading this.
Good to hear! I am glad this guide helped you replace that nasty Dutch Roman
Old 09-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #10
Rontonio
Rontonio began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Hi. I went through the entire process, word by word. At the point on page 8, where I clicked "Customize" I got an error message: "An exception of class NilObject Extension was not handled. Application must shut down." I figured the SD card file might still contain the right files, but there was no files.505.1.1.00.18040 folder. What now? I already purchased Caecilia, and hope I can get this thing figured-out. Thanks for your help.
Rontonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #11
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rontonio View Post
Hi. I went through the entire process, word by word. At the point on page 8, where I clicked "Customize" I got an error message: "An exception of class NilObject Extension was not handled. Application must shut down." I figured the SD card file might still contain the right files, but there was no files.505.1.1.00.18040 folder. What now? I already purchased Caecilia, and hope I can get this thing figured-out. Thanks for your help.
Rontonio, I've actually seen this error a few times myself, usually after using PRSC once already and populating the sdcard folder. My solution was to just delete the whole folder where PRSC was extracted and then re-extract PRSC again (into a new folder).

Basically, it's some kind of weird bug in PRSC. Deleting it and extracting again solves it.

Hope that helps. If it doesn't, report back here.

EDIT: Also, why buy Caecilia? I mean, it's nicer than the Bitstream Vera Serif that is used in the guide, but not by much. I happened to have the font for business reasons so I used it, but I would have definitely went with Vera Serif had I not had it lying around. Vera Serif is free, Caecilia is 30$.

Last edited by Valloric; 09-03-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:03 PM   #12
Rontonio

I extracted the file again, filled-out the customization box, and it worked this time. Who knows? Thanks for your prompt response, Valloric. The reader looks great, and my books are definitely easier to read with Caecilia 55 Roman.
I didn't go with the Vera Serif since by looking at your graphic I wasn't sure it was that much of an improvement over Dutch. I had also considered Georgia, but frankly I didn't want to have to go through the process twice if wasn't satisfied with whatever font I chose. I've seen the Kindle and liked the font so I just made the decision to go with Caecilia. It's a huge improvement over the original Dutch. I'm quite sure Vera Serif would have been, too.
I appreciate your help. Thank you
Old 09-03-2008, 05:59 PM   #13
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rontonio View Post
I appreciate your help. Thank you
Not a problem, glad to help.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:29 PM   #14
Rontonio

After doing some reading at lunch I see that words, and even entire lines are missing after some page turns. I originally flashed an empty reader and reloaded the books after installing the new font, but maybe I needed to reload the original book files rather than those from the Reader with the Dutch font?
Old 09-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #15
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Make sure you use identical fonts on the Reader and in the eBook Library. Also, clear the cache.xml or reupload books using eBook Library to repaginate them.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote