Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-26-2015, 09:18 PM   #1
JayDP
JayDP began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Angry Dowloaded 2.41 and Calibre no longer loads

Help Everyone.

I have been a Calibre user for years on my iMac, now running El Capitan. Dowloaded latest Calibre 2.41. Now get a message that "Calibre is damaged and you should move it to trash."

No matter how many times I reinstall the program, the same message pops.

I still have in my documents folder a folder called Calibre library containing 2 files: metadata.p.prefs_backup.json and metadata.db.

There is a second Calibre Library folder under my iMac user name containing what appear to be my books.

How can I install the program and not lose access to the 800+ books I have?

Any and all advice really appreciated.

Jay
JayDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:24 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Your books are going to stay safe -- uninstalling calibre doesn't delete the calibre library.

As for your error message, is it possible you got a corrupted download? Did you try redownloading the *.dmg
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #3
JayDP
JayDP began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Many thanks. I did re-download and after re-booting, everything works perfectly. I appreciate the help
JayDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:27 PM   #4
wstraka
wstraka began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, RCA REB1200
My version (2.41) has stopped working as well. I have El Capitan too. It hangs on the "Initializing user interface..." screen--never loads. I have to force quit the app. Even after uninstalling it, I have to power off the computer by the switch because the computer hangs at shut-down. Once I restart the computer is normal and fine unless I try to start Calibre. I have downloaded it twice and installed it three times all to no avail. Although I have a large (4,500) library, it is not that because on the reinstalls I have created new libraries it different locations. I am anxiously awaiting a new version of Calibre which I hope will work for me.
wstraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 03:12 PM   #5
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
wstraka, did you resolve your El Capitan / Calibre issue? I was about to do some major updating on my MacBook, including El Capitan and the latest Calibre, but don't want to do without Calibre. Does anyone else have these problems? I'm not tech savvy (which is why I have Apple) and don't have anyone available who can help, so I'd like to be reasonably sure everything will work before I take the leap. Thanks?
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #6
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Take a look at this thread.

bernie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumadona View Post
wstraka, did you resolve your El Capitan / Calibre issue? I was about to do some major updating on my MacBook, including El Capitan and the latest Calibre, but don't want to do without Calibre. Does anyone else have these problems? I'm not tech savvy (which is why I have Apple) and don't have anyone available who can help, so I'd like to be reasonably sure everything will work before I take the leap. Thanks?
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:38 PM   #7
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Great, thanks!
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:57 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Take a look at this thread.

bernie
FWIW I stuck that thread - I'll leave it there until Vanesa Roja is released

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:08 PM   #9
wstraka
wstraka began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, RCA REB1200
I've just tried installing version 2.42 and everything is working fine! I have my Calibre back!

Woohoo!!

Bill
wstraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:07 PM   #10
sandysot
sandysot began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am not able to use the get books feature and when I download a Kindle or Epub library book the program does not find the file or the books.
sandy
sandysot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:18 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysot View Post
I am not able to use the get books feature and when I download a Kindle or Epub library book the program does not find the file or the books.
sandy
IIRC Get books is a shopping aid (helps you find a store).

From there, you use the store to purchase and get the book.
Depending on the store / DRM ... the next steps are unknown to us. You need to follow the instructions at the store.

Once you get the book, ALF may be of assistance if you need to Import into Calibre and convert
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote