Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 09-05-2018, 01:26 AM   #1
Kwyjor
Kwyjor began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch N905B
KOReader on Old Kobo Touch

Hello,

My Kobo Touch (N905B) has mostly sat around collecting dust in favor of my trusty Sony PRS-300, as it has a terrible habit of freezing up. It might have gotten better with the latest firmware update (4.8).

Regardless, I have a 6 MB .mobi file I want to read, and opening it in Nickel causes the eReader to reboot when I simply try to advance a couple of pages, so I figured it was time to check out KSM and KOReader.

So far everything seems to be installed correctly - I have KSM 9 with update 2 from this thread, and I downloaded the stable build of KOReader from the Github repository. And after much furious tapping, I was finally able to open my .mobi file.

I have two questions, really:
-Should I be using the "nightly build" of KOReader? This is an ancient model of Kobo and I certainly don't need any advanced features.
-What, exactly, are the gestures supposed to be!? I know there's a list on the Wiki at https://github.com/koreader/koreader...eader-Gestures , but none of them seem to work as they should. Tapping in the top right seems to bookmark, but tapping in the top center just goes to the next page. Swiping from the top upwards goes to the previous page. I brought up the menu and keyboard at some point, but I'm not exactly sure how. Do I need to re-calibrate my screen or something?
Kwyjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:00 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
There are a number of newer features that you could see in the Nightly releases, but there are also many smaller refinements that make KOReader function better. I would start with the current nightly, then try earlier nightlys if I encountered an issue.

The tap at the top center should have brought the main menu down. You can also bring it down by swiping down from the top of the screen.

Someone at the project on Github might be willing to help you set things up so that you can see the touch events being sent to KOReader. If the touchscreen itself is misbehaving, it may not be fixable, by software.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #3
Kwyjor

Thanks for the reply. I found the fix; of course it's a known problem, and of course it eluded my furious googlings.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=272327
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=739

It seems to be behaving much better now. I kind of wish there was a better overview of the features, though. For instance, is there no battery meter anywhere? And is there some way to go back to the Start menu without restarting the reader?
Old 09-05-2018, 09:40 AM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The bottom right corner of the main menu, displays the time and the battery%. You can also have the battery% displayed as part of the Mini Progress/Status Bar that you can have on the bottom of the reader screen. There will be a "+" sign in front of the number, if charging.

What do you mean by the "Start Menu"? If you mean KSM's menu, KSM is a separate program from the KOReader reader program. You need to leave KOReader to go back to KSM.

Luck;
Ken
Old 09-05-2018, 09:41 AM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
As for gestures, no multi-touch on the Touch, so a lot of them will be unavailable.

There's a battery indicator at the bottom right of the top menu, among other places.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #6
Kwyjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
You can also have the battery% displayed as part of the Mini Progress/Status Bar that you can have on the bottom of the reader screen. There will be a "+" sign in front of the number, if charging.
I see. Is that a setting that can be configured from the main menu, or do I have to edit a config file somewhere?

Quote:
What do you mean by the "Start Menu"? If you mean KSM's menu, KSM is a separate program from the KOReader reader program. You need to leave KOReader to go back to KSM.
Yes, that's what I mean. Do I have to power off the reader completely to leave KOReader, or is there an exit button somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
As for gestures, no multi-touch on the Touch, so a lot of them will be unavailable.
Makes sense. To be clear, is swiping supposed to work on the Touch, or does it only respond to taps? (And is there a list of what different parts of the screen are supposed to do when tapped?)

Thank you again so much for your help.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard

1. In the reader menu (The one you get while reading a book, not the one while in the File Browser) Under the "Gear" Icon select "Status bar >".

2. In both menus, under the "Hamburger" Icon, on the far right, You can long press on the "Exit >" option, to directly leave KOReader. A regular tap will give you more related options.

3. Not sure if a general purpose "Gesture Controller" has been implemented, it was brought up at Github. There are "DTAP_ZONE" settings in the "Advanced settings", that you can tap and get a box and keyboard, to make changes with. [Personally I suggest opening the "defaults.lua" using "Notepad++" and read the green notes/descriptions, then making any changes that way.

Luck;
Ken
Old 09-05-2018, 06:55 PM   #8
Kwyjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
1. In the reader menu (The one you get while reading a book, not the one while in the File Browser) Under the "Gear" Icon select "Status bar >".
Under the gear, my options are:
Show hidden files
Sort order: by title
Reverse sorting
Start with last opened file
Night mode
Network
Screen
Language
Show advanced options

Are you perhaps referring to a feature that has been introduced since the release of the last "stable" build?

Quote:
2. In both menus, under the "Hamburger" Icon, on the far right, You can long press on the "Exit >" option, to directly leave KOReader. A regular tap will give you more related options.
The icons I get at the top are: a gear, a Pokeball (?), a screwdriver-and-wrench, a magnifying glass, and a house. Is this something else that has changed?

I did not realize before that the house icon actually does go back to KSM, so that's one mystery solved.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:14 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Ooh, yeah, basically, don't use the stable release ;p.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:04 AM   #10
Kwyjor

Fair enough. I just hope it doesn't crap out on me in the middle of vacation when I can't get to a computer. (Like I said, I haven't been too thrilled with this unit's performance thus far. But perhaps this marks the start of a bold new era of Kobo appreciation.)

Any more sage advice I should be aware of?
Old 09-06-2018, 09:07 AM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwyjor View Post
Fair enough. I just hope it doesn't crap out on me in the middle of vacation when I can't get to a computer. (Like I said, I haven't been too thrilled with this unit's performance thus far. But perhaps this marks the start of a bold new era of Kobo appreciation.)

Any more sage advice I should be aware of?
You might consider that seven years is a long time in the life of such devices. The touch was only the second Kobo reader series, and your variant (with advertisements) might benefit from more recent software. The reliability of a 7 year old device is more impacted by its age than the version of software installed. It could well "crap out" at any time, and I doubt it is within its original warranty period.

Luck;
Ken