Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-23-2022, 08:05 AM   #1
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Lenovo P11
bulk remove (in)definite articles from series names?

I did search, but probably not well enough, apologies. I'd like to get rid of "A", "An" "The" from all series titles as they clutter the list and make searching for series names more tedious. How do I go about this?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:24 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I did search, but probably not well enough, apologies. I'd like to get rid of "A", "An" "The" from all series titles as they clutter the list and make searching for series names more tedious. How do I go about this?
What is your Series sort order?

OTOH if you do not include the = (exact match), searching should find by simple keywords.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2022, 09:40 AM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What is your Series sort order?

OTOH if you do not include the = (exact match), searching should find by simple keywords.
The problem I'm trying to obviate is shown in the screenshot. Importing Kobo metadata often (i.e. ~80% of the time) gives [1] as the series number, regardless of the actual series number. So I have to select the series to have the correct number inserted.

In the example above, I can't find the series by typing "Pat.." to find it, I have to type "the P" to jump to that section of the list. That's why I would like to remove the articles

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 06-23-2022 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-23-2022, 12:01 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tag Browser? right!

There is a Find in the lower right corner (but it does have a speedy restrict to only series: (you got to type series:pat)
Old 06-23-2022, 12:05 PM   #5
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Tag Browser? right!

There is a Find in the lower right corner (but it does have a speedy restrict to only series: (you got to type seriesat)
This is not in the tag browser, it's in the edit metadata window. In the tag browser, series are already listed in alphabetical order without preceding articles, but not in the dropdown list of series in the metadata editor
Advert
Old 06-23-2022, 12:20 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
This is not in the tag browser, it's in the edit metadata window. In the tag browser, series are already listed in alphabetical order without preceding articles, but not in the dropdown list of series in the metadata editor
You are correct about how that works. to be honest, I think that list should follow the sort order (presentation) setting:
Library-order: show the Sorted field (from the table). Strictly Alphabetical: as it does
Old 06-23-2022, 12:57 PM   #7
chaley
Grumpy old git
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
In the example above, I can't find the series by typing "Pat.." to find it, I have to type "the P" to jump to that section of the list. That's why I would like to remove the articles
See the tweak "Completion mode when editing authors/tags/series/etc. (ID: completion_mode)". Set it to 'contains'.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 01:03 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...4da64ac3361ae6
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 01:04 PM   #9
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
See the tweak "Completion mode when editing authors/tags/series/etc. (ID: completion_mode)". Set it to 'contains'.
You are a scholar and a gentlebeing!

Old 06-23-2022, 01:13 PM   #10
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
And after service like that I just HAD TO obey the injunction in your signature
Old 06-23-2022, 01:15 PM   #11
chaley
Grumpy old git
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
The fix doesn't work for custom series columns.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 01:15 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, but note that this was more for theducks observation that the completion items should be sorted the same way as in the rest of calibre. It wont affect your issue, you will still have to type the first. For your issue the correct solution is the one chaley supplied.
Old 06-23-2022, 01:16 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
The fix doesn't work for custom series columns.
Hah, knew I'd forgotten something
Old 06-23-2022, 01:20 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Hah, knew I'd forgotten something
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...c70bca130c4a9c
Old 06-23-2022, 01:24 PM   #15
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Thanks, but note that this was more for theducks observation that the completion items should be sorted the same way as in the rest of calibre. It wont affect your issue, you will still have to type the first. For your issue the correct solution is the one chaley supplied.

Oh sure, but that's not a problem - type "pa" and the list jumps to the relevant section of the list. No more wading through hundreds of articles. MUCH easier.