Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-03-2022, 05:22 AM   #1
msel
Connoisseur
msel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the husk

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Question Kindle Scribe - Sideloading books with USB?

Hello, perhaps I want to order a Kindle Scribe. But I've one question - can I upload books to the Kindle with an USB cable connection (with Calibre)?
msel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:13 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You can, but like all Kindles, Series and Collections and covers is an issue.
You can also copy PDFs, but unlike virtually every other eInk (or Tablet)with a digitiser stylus, you can't annotate them. Annotation is only possible by sending the PDFs to Amazon.

It's large for ebooks, the size better suits simply reading PDFs (I have two 10" approx ink and 10 " tablet as well as smaller eink from Amazon and Kobo).

Unlike Elipsa there is no handwriting conversion. It's only worthwhile compared to alternatives for PDF reading only as stylus based annotation is a clumsy workflow with no privacy.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2022, 11:56 AM   #3
msel
Connoisseur
msel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the husk

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Thank you, Quoth - I will mostly use the kindle to read PDF files (instead of reading them on a tablet).
msel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 12:10 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You can, but like all Kindles, Series and Collections and covers is an issue.
You can also copy PDFs, but unlike virtually every other eInk (or Tablet)with a digitiser stylus, you can't annotate them. Annotation is only possible by sending the PDFs to Amazon.

You can annotate side loaded PDFs with highlights and notes, as always, just not with Sticky Notes (if they have text layer to highlight and attach notes to, of course).

But the weird thing is that the Kindle apps don't allow any annotation at all (apart from Bookmarks), even when they are sent to Amazon. They would do well to support that with a future update. If they want Kindle to be a note taking platform (Scribe is not a platform), it doesn't help their case by having gaps like this.

Amazon bought a stake in Foxit some years ago, I think that technology is what they're still using for PDF on Kindles, but don't know how to verify that.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-03-2022 at 01:18 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:35 PM   #5
ksks
ksks began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max Lumi 2, Kobo Libra H2O, Kindle Oasis 3
I see a lot of users saying they can't annotate/use sticky notes on sideloaded PDFs unless you send it through Send to Kindle.

Is it definitely the same for sideloaded ebooks? I did try it myself (sideloading epub and azw3 to the Scribe via USB cable) and found sticky notes don't work, but since I couldn't find anyone talking about it I wondered if I'm just doing something wrong.

I really hope future software updates address these issues, but I have a feeling it was engineered that way on purpose.
ksks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2022, 09:52 AM   #6
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksks View Post
I see a lot of users saying they can't annotate/use sticky notes on sideloaded PDFs unless you send it through Send to Kindle.

Is it definitely the same for sideloaded ebooks? I did try it myself (sideloading epub and azw3 to the Scribe via USB cable) and found sticky notes don't work, but since I couldn't find anyone talking about it I wondered if I'm just doing something wrong.

I really hope future software updates address these issues, but I have a feeling it was engineered that way on purpose.
From everything I've read, it doesn't work sideloaded. You can do the email thing, which causes Amazon to do its behind-the-scenes conversion touch, then sticky notes will work
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 01:17 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another experiment would be to try Download & Transfer via USB, to see if that works for Kindle books and allows you to create Sticky Notes.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:21 PM   #8
innocenat
Zealot
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPW5, Quaderno A4, Supernote A6X, Leaf 2
(edited: reply in wrong thread and don't know how to delete)

Last edited by innocenat; 12-08-2022 at 01:24 PM.
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 12:01 PM   #9
FireFrog
Enthusiast
FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle 2019, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksks View Post
Have you tried KFX? If that works?
FireFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 06:12 PM   #10
mg10
Connoisseur
mg10 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW, Kobo Aura One
I've been testing and you can use hand-written sticky notes just with kfx format, not with azw3. In fact, floating note tool is disabled for these formats. So, if you use send to kindle option, the ebook will be converted to kfx and you'll be abble to write sticky notes by hand. But, note that azw3 or mobi are not allowed formats to use with "send to kindle" option. You can use epub format, for example. If I'm wrong, please, someone correct me.
mg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 06:48 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg10 View Post
I've been testing and you can use hand-written sticky notes just with kfx format, not with azw3. In fact, floating note tool is disabled for these formats. So, if you use send to kindle option, the ebook will be converted to kfx and you'll be abble to write sticky notes by hand. But, note that azw3 or mobi are not allowed formats to use with "send to kindle" option. You can use epub format, for example. If I'm wrong, please, someone correct me.
.azw and .mobi are still supported via email attachment and with Send To Kindle apps and the Kindle app for iOS and Android (as Sharing option). You cannot create Sticky Notes for them however, you have to send .ePub instead for that feature.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...WYD9SAF7PGXRNA

Last edited by tomsem; 01-05-2023 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-05-2023, 06:51 PM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
So, if you use send to kindle option, the ebook will be converted to kfx and you'll be abble to write sticky notes by hand.
I have questions for Scribe owners who also own another Kindle device.

Can you tell whether a sent personal document that comes to the Scribe in KFX is delivered in that format to other Kindle apps and devices registered to the same account? (You should be able to tell by the presence of hyphenation and page flip.)

Also, are sticky notes you make visible when the book is read elsewhere?
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 05:41 AM   #13
mg10
Connoisseur
mg10 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
.azw and .mobi are still supported via email attachment and with Send To Kindle apps and the Kindle app for iOS and Android (as Sharing option). You cannot create Sticky Notes for them however, you have to send .ePub instead for that feature.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...WYD9SAF7PGXRNA
I tried to send a file in azw3 to be converted to kfx and it returned the error of not supported format. After December 2022 is not possible to send any of both format by email, as describes the article.
mg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 06:23 AM   #14
innocenat
Zealot
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPW5, Quaderno A4, Supernote A6X, Leaf 2
Quote:
I tried to send a file in azw3 to be converted to kfx and it returned the error of not supported format. After December 2022 is not possible to send any of both format by email, as describes the article.
AZW is not AZW3
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 07:59 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocenat View Post
AZW is not AZW3
Yes, azw is usually encrypted mobi (KF7) and azw3 is KF8.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote