Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-06-2016, 04:35 PM   #376
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Thanks -- I saw those in another thread, which is why I'm over here! This looks right up my alley, if the eInk screen is fast enough to live with as a monitor (using remote desktop).
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:33 PM   #377
silica
silica is a jewel in the roughsilica is a jewel in the roughsilica is a jewel in the roughsilica is a jewel in the roughsilica is a jewel in the roughsilica is a jewel in the roughsilica is a jewel in the roughsilica is a jewel in the roughsilica is a jewel in the roughsilica is a jewel in the roughsilica is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX
I am using the built-in OReader, it works great for pdfs and mobi. i really like the device. i got this read pdfs and kindle books. I couldn't install twitter on it, but the web twitter looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
exactly what i wanted to hear while waiting for mine (2nd batch)!

whats your thoughts on the stock ebook reader?

i use moon+ reader on my android tablet bc i can zoom lock and sync pages on multiple devices.

but from what i saw in the videos the stock ebook reader can do a bunch of things that make the PDF experience good.

also pls feel free to post more pics, videos, other features

Last edited by silica; 05-06-2016 at 05:38 PM.
silica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #378
oranges
Enthusiast
oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Onyx Boox N96 & Max2
quick question regarding the max's dependency on the stylus :

lets say you lose the stylus or forget to bring it with you somewhere, are you able to use the bottom left physical buttons to navigate the home screen, select the ereader app, then load a PDF to read?

if thats possible, i really don't care about the lack of the touch screen!
oranges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:10 PM   #379
shards_x
shards_x , Klaatu Barada Niktu!shards_x , Klaatu Barada Niktu!shards_x , Klaatu Barada Niktu!shards_x , Klaatu Barada Niktu!shards_x , Klaatu Barada Niktu!shards_x , Klaatu Barada Niktu!shards_x , Klaatu Barada Niktu!shards_x , Klaatu Barada Niktu!shards_x , Klaatu Barada Niktu!shards_x , Klaatu Barada Niktu!shards_x , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: None
The stylus is pretty integral to the user experience. The buttons do not actually navigate so you will have to use the pen for all your navigation.

An alternative is a bluetooth mouse. I was able to pair a Microsoft bluetooth mouse and use that to navigate around.
shards_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:29 PM   #380
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Has anyone paired a Bluetooth keyboard and used it successfully?

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2016, 11:37 PM   #381
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Not so sure that I would agree with that analogy. Haiku can be profound. Transcendental. Not so sure about Twitter. Quite the opposite from what I have seen.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:58 PM   #382
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
On another note, since one really needs a stylus to interact with this ereader, are they easily come by? If one lost, misplaced or forgot one's stylus, would it be easily replaceable?

This is one of my main concerns about a device which requires a stylus.

With a capacitive touch screen, if one lost one's stylus, one could still interact with the device. That is a big plus.

Unfortunately, the only 13 inch device with a capacitive screen currently on offer seems somewhat less than ideal. Not only do the specs leave much to be desired, but the campaign to promote it resembles a comedy of errors. And that is being diplomatic. It is amazing that they have enjoyed as much success as they have. It speaks volumes to the interest in such a device. Hopefully, someone will take notice and produce a device truly worthy of the price.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:11 AM   #383
shards_x
shards_x , Klaatu Barada Niktu!shards_x , Klaatu Barada Niktu!shards_x , Klaatu Barada Niktu!shards_x , Klaatu Barada Niktu!shards_x , Klaatu Barada Niktu!shards_x , Klaatu Barada Niktu!shards_x , Klaatu Barada Niktu!shards_x , Klaatu Barada Niktu!shards_x , Klaatu Barada Niktu!shards_x , Klaatu Barada Niktu!shards_x , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I haven't had an opportunity to pair a bluetooth keyboard to the device, but since this is running Android and the mouse seems to work without any issues, I have confidence that a keyboard would not be an issue.

Related to keyboard activities, I have tried installing OfficeSuite Pro on the Max to see if I could do some work while on-the-go. Unfortunately, the app crashes on startup. If someone else with the device has better luck with this, please let me know.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:20 AM   #384
shards_x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
On another note, since one really needs a stylus to interact with this ereader, are they easily come by? If one lost, misplaced or forgot one's stylus, would it be easily replaceable?
It appears the stylus for the Max is built by a company called Hanvon. None of my various Wacom and N-Trig stylus from legacy devices seem to be cross-compatible with the Max's screen, just for anyone else curious.

In terms of replacements, the pens can be ordered. The online store where I ordered my Max carries replacement pens for the Boox M96, and it looks exactly the same as the pen on the Boox Max.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:27 AM   #385
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shards_x View Post

Related to keyboard activities, I have tried installing OfficeSuite Pro on the Max to see if I could do some work while on-the-go. Unfortunately, the app crashes on startup. If someone else with the device has better luck with this, please let me know.
This is actually the one thing that has me worried with this device. It is running Ann old version of Android and lots of apps won't be compatible. You'll be forced to seek out old APK depositories.

Old 05-07-2016, 03:28 AM   #386
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Not so sure that I would agree with that analogy. Haiku can be profound. Transcendental. Not so sure about Twitter. Quite the opposite from what I have seen.
No need to agree. Twitter can also be profound.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:32 AM   #387
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
My Onyx Boox Max was delivered yesterday! I'm still testing all its feature but I have a question for the other owners. I noticed that the pen has got two buttons: What are they for?
Thanks
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:21 AM   #388
iacchi
Zealot
iacchi is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-500; Boox C67ML; Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
This is actually the one thing that has me worried with this device. It is running Ann old version of Android and lots of apps won't be compatible. You'll be forced to seek out old APK depositories.
On the store website there is an update to Android 4.4 for all other Onyx devices, I'm pretty sure there will be one available soon for the Max as well.
iacchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:05 AM   #389
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacchi View Post
On the store website there is an update to Android 4.4 for all other Onyx devices, I'm pretty sure there will be one available soon for the Max as well.
Good news, let's hope so.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:20 AM   #390
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by shards_x View Post
Maybe you could try Freeoffice with more success. It only requires android 2.3.

http://www.freeoffice.com/en/
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote