Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #421
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
There are plenty of good full size Bluetooth keyboards from makers like Logitech and Microsoft.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #422
Wong McGregor
Connoisseur
Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Concerning USB Host mode - it worked on some of my earlier samples of M96 and T68. However Onyx decided to disable it later since some connected devices caused problems with fast battery drain . Sometimes batteries were discharged lower than allowed LiPO batteries threshold voltage, which made it impossible to recharge them without some special tools. This obviously caused complains by users.

IMHO Bluetooth keyboards or gamepads /klicker are better alternative. Currently demand for USB host mode on Onyx devices is quite low. Until now I got probably not more than 3-5 requests for it. In case it will be really demanded I could ask for special series with enabled USB Host.
Thanks Booxter, for going to the trouble to clear that up. It was a bit odd. So it's nice to have a rational explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
There are plenty of good full size Bluetooth keyboards from makers like Logitech and Microsoft.
The range of bluetooth keyboards is much more limited, especially with respect to quality (eg. mechanical or ergonomic) keyboards which can also therefore be expensive. I've already started exploring other options which I'll post about if they prove fruitful.

An option would be nice but I wonder whether one could use USB host mode unknowingly, so I guess there are complications, which I hope can be resolved.
Wong McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:52 PM   #423
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
No there aren't. At least if you don't want a pseudo hipster one. Try to find a normal keyboard with number block on the right side. E.g. one from Cherry.

They all look like $%§%§"$ mobile phone hipster keyboards. And the usability is much worse than with a normal USB keyboard.

Last edited by joblack; 05-14-2016 at 02:02 PM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:12 AM   #424
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
No there aren't. At least if you don't want a pseudo hipster one. Try to find a normal keyboard with number block on the right side. E.g. one from Cherry.

They all look like $%§%§"$ mobile phone hipster keyboards. And the usability is much worse than with a normal USB keyboard.
What about this one?

I also suggest to try this BT clicker to extend control of your Max. I am using it myself and find it very convenient and useful. I even though about to make a DIY pedal using this very cheap clicker, two pedal switches and additional battery box. I was going to use it as page flipper for scores on Max during playing music from scores.

Last edited by Booxtor; 05-15-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:11 AM   #425
Willy Tärk
Willy Tärk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Dear Booxtor,
is it possible to maneuver through the start menue of the Onyx Boox Max/n96 with this BT Clicker? And is this a conveniet way to choose between books, etc.?

Lässt es sich mit dem BT Clicker durch das Startmenü manövrieren und ist dies ein praktikabler Weg, um dabei Bücher auszuwählen/zu öffnen?
Willy Tärk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:18 AM   #426
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
What about this one?
I'll try it. Thanks.

Still the enabled USB keyboard capability would be a nice feature for the Onyx Boox Max.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:05 AM   #427
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Tärk View Post
Dear Booxtor,
is it possible to maneuver through the start menue of the Onyx Boox Max/n96 with this BT Clicker? And is this a conveniet way to choose between books, etc.?

Lässt es sich mit dem BT Clicker durch das Startmenü manövrieren und ist dies ein praktikabler Weg, um dabei Bücher auszuwählen/zu öffnen?
Yes, it is possible. You can navigate in start menu using "joystick" and turn pages or change size of fonts in your books /reflowed PDFs using either joystick or buttons. 360° Jostick can also control "mouse" pointer in key mode.. I also tried to remap keys of that toy to make it even more fit to my needs. You would have to root your Max for this purpose, though. I did it just to test the toy. Actually I would prefer to tinker a little bit and to make own Clicker with buttons only (without 360°joystick). I would let just buttons with functions: up, down, left, right, enter; volume up+down; refresh, back, menu and task list. Some buttons would be double used (long press). Similar to this one. Everything is possible thanks to Bluetooth of Max
Old 05-16-2016, 11:36 AM   #428
oranges
Enthusiast
oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Onyx Boox N96 & Max2
the thought of using a remote bluetooth clicker to control the tablet is worse than the stylus input IMO.

ideally the software could be updated to do basic navigation with the physical buttons, this way it can still navigate without pulling out a secondary input device
oranges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:57 PM   #429
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
How can anybody release device with no touch in 2016?
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:19 PM   #430
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
Michael Kozlowski commented on a similar matter. How can anybody release a device with no Bluetooth in 2016?

Quote:
We wanted bluetooth and audio, but this drove the price up to something most people wouldn't be able to afford.
I wish it was possible to customise e-readers like you can (could?) Dell laptops when ordering. Sound? No, thanks. Bluetooth? Yes, please. Touch? Bendy screen? Extended battery? ... Here is your quote
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:52 AM   #431
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinogodzilla View Post
Michael Kozlowski commented on a similar matter. How can anybody release a device with no Bluetooth in 2016?
I wish it was possible to customise e-readers like you can (could?) Dell laptops when ordering. Sound? No, thanks. Bluetooth? Yes, please. Touch? Bendy screen? Extended battery? ... Here is your quote
I have no idea what's about the fuss with the (finger) touch. The stylus is working fine so far for me.

For the Good EReader. I still miss a full review of the Onyx Boox Max. That won't probably happen anyway. Warp 9 to their own device.

I am really disappointed by Goodereader. They seem to be very biased ...
Old 05-17-2016, 07:22 AM   #432
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
the thought of using a remote bluetooth clicker to control the tablet is worse than the stylus input IMO.

ideally the software could be updated to do basic navigation with the physical buttons, this way it can still navigate without pulling out a secondary input device
There are physical buttons on Onyx devices. So you can do some basic operations using them.

Believe me, once you have tried to control your 13.3" tablet with BT clicker, you would don't want to miss it. The big tablet can rest on the stand /table, you don't need to hold it in your hands, you even can put your hands in your pockets, let them rest on your belly or hold a cheeseburger
There is no wear on physical buttons of the tablet. Such a BT clicker is very cheap (costs about 2-4 USD) and quite handy. There are even BT controller with implemented keyboard.

Especially for musicians it is extremely simplifying for their work , when they would don't need to use their hands for page turning in their scores. A BT foot switcher is very popular there.

Last edited by Booxtor; 05-17-2016 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:52 AM   #433
xtech
Zealot
xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony DPT-RP1, Ipad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
I have no idea what's about the fuss with the (finger) touch. The stylus is working fine so far for me.
I would list the following pluses of the finger touch:

1. Supposedly easier zooming in and out.
2. No additional intermediate device between the ereader and the user, so basically fingers (e.g. one's right little finger), are used to turn the pages, in some cases to make brief annotations, no need to carry additional device.
3. If stylus is battery powered, no need to look for another battery when it suddenly stops working.
4. No need to carry the stylus when no work with the stylus is planned (that's why I would prefer detachable stylus holder, so that nothing sticking out would distract my attention)
5. If there is a finger touch support, there is always an alternative way to fully and comfortably manage the ereader, when the stylus stops working and needs replacement.

Stylus certainly has the pluses of its own.

If the 13.3 capacitative screen, according to Booxtor, is indeed worse than an electromagnetic one (if I correctly understood him), I would rather prefer the electromagnetic screen, because the quality of the screen and text sharpness is the first priority for me.

Last edited by xtech; 05-17-2016 at 10:01 AM.
xtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:43 AM   #434
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
No touch ? For me with my M92 it's not a problem. If the touch capability degrade the quality of the text, I prefer nothing. More important, this capability has a cost. I prefer a 13.3" e-reader to read and then I can buy than something else with many capability at a price like the SONY device.

Last edited by Randy11; 05-17-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:54 AM   #435
deb2016
Enthusiast
deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox Max2 pro
Hello,

Does the Onyx boox max support usb keyboards ?

I heard it depends whether the usb host mode is present or not.

My apologizes if this question was already addressed.

Regards.
deb2016 is offline   Reply With Quote